Poll: Brunson:
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Start
65.22%
30 65.22%
Bench
8.70%
4 8.70%
Trade
26.09%
12 26.09%
Total 46 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 1.75 Average
BRUNSON BURNER: to NYK for 4yrs/$104M (no SnT) | NYK docked 2025 2nd for tampering
https://twitter.com/mattmcloudy/status/1...5409721344
Like Reply
I'm getting similar vibes to the attempted Deron Williams wooing a decade ago. I think there was even photos of Deron Williams attending an event with other Brooklyn players just like Brunson with Mavs players.

Hopefully it ends the same way with him not leaving his original team.
[-] The following 2 users Like Branduil's post:
  • KillerLeft, Tyler
Like Reply
(06-27-2022, 01:44 AM)Branduil Wrote: I'm getting similar vibes to the attempted Deron Williams wooing a decade ago. I think there was even photos of Deron Williams attending an event with other Brooklyn players just like Brunson with Mavs players.

Hopefully it ends the same way with him not leaving his original team.

Unfortunately D-Will himself went on one of the Ringer's podcasts (I think 2 years ago?) and basically confirmed his mind was made up about going back to Dallas until their free agency meeting. Donnie came in according to D-Will with no concrete plan and just kept saying "Trust us we just won a championship". And he was REALLY offended when Cuban didn't show up either as he was filming shark tank. Those two things, along with the Nets breaking down exactly their plan was enough to get him to resign. Also Nets gave him more money which didn't hurt I assume. 

I don't think the Knicks will make the same mistake, but I also don't think JB thinks their situation is attractive.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
To me, all this noise is coming from Brunson's agent. There are three parties in this triangle: (i) Mavs, (ii) Knicks, and (iii) Bruson's agent.

The Mavs have no incentive to talk, as they want to keep the price low. 

The Knicks have no incentive to talk. If the Knicks truly want him (and I believe they do), then they want to catch the Mavs with their pants down. They don't want to talk a big game so the Mavs are ready to counter (which the Mavs would be anyway, as they are professionals). 

The only one of the three to have an incentive to talk is Brunson's agent. He (and Brunson) are the only party to gain from leaking stories saying "the Knicks are coming on strong" and "going to offer $25 million per hear" or "near max." They want to drive up his price.

He could still leave if he wants to be the alpha on a team and not behind Luka. But I'm paying no attention to the smokescreens or chaff being thrown out at the moment.
[-] The following 2 users Like Cowdog's post:
  • KillerLeft, Smitty
Like Reply
(06-26-2022, 10:47 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/mattmcloudy/status/1...5409721344

This tweet doesn't make sense. Knicks currently, if they only waive the non-guarantees and renounce all of their team options save Barrett and Obi,  can offer at most 4/90 right now. 

If they dump Noel alone, that number jumps to 4/125. But doing so will leave the Knicks with 9 guys under contract with no starting center. Keeping Robinsons hold brings that down to 4/120. Again a lot of money. Basically their only choice is resigning Robinson as a starting center at that point. 

We have to ask ourselves, how good is a JB/Fournier/Barrett/Randle/Robinson team? Are they worth paying the tax as the Knicks would be set to do should they go this route? Are they any better than MIL/MIA/BOS/CHI/PHI/TOR/ATL? I mean heck are they even better than the next tier of CHA/WAS? This isn't even adding the Nets but if they retain Kyrie and KD, add another team that's better than the Knicks in this fantasy. 

Can you imagine how fast Leon Rose would be fired should this plan backfire? Overpaying for Brunson, only to wind up as a 10th seed with the tax looming. Their fans would revolt and call into question whether or not some nepotism is the reason why Brunson got overpaid and his dad became an assistant.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(06-26-2022, 10:47 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/mattmcloudy/status/1...5409721344

If they offer 4/100 Mavs just counter with 5/125 and that should be the end of it, he comes back to Dallas.
Like Reply
(06-27-2022, 11:25 AM)Cowdog Wrote: The only one of the three to have an incentive to talk is Brunson's agent. He (and Brunson) are the only party to gain from leaking stories saying "the Knicks are coming on strong" and "going to offer $25 million per hear" or "near max." They want to drive up his price.

I agree. This is all about getting the offers as big as possible by stoking the fires of competition.
Like Reply
(06-27-2022, 11:25 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Can you imagine how fast Leon Rose would be fired should this plan backfire? Overpaying for Brunson, only to wind up as a 10th seed with the tax looming. Their fans would revolt and call into question whether or not some nepotism is the reason why Brunson got overpaid and his dad became an assistant.
NY media and fans can be some of the most brutal anywhere if they are unhappy. JB will be under a bigger magnifying glass than almost anywhere else in the league. That only adds to the pressure for him to produce wins if he goes to NYKs.
Like Reply
As a sarcastic aside...

Is anyone making sure Cuban/Kidd/Nico aren't having dinner together on Thursday evening?
Like Reply
(06-27-2022, 12:04 PM)Dirknows Wrote: If they offer 4/100 Mavs just counter with 5/125 and that should be the end of it, he comes back to Dallas.

And then JB demands a sign and trade so he gets that same contract from the Knicks. At this point, it’s looking like this will end with a a trade bringing back a slightly positive asset, probably Burks. He’s better than nothing.  JB is in the driver’s seat.  The Mavs could have gotten him last off-season but misevaluated their player. JB proved them wrong by going out and having exactly the same season but playing more minutes.
Like Reply
(06-27-2022, 06:31 PM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: And then JB demands a sign and trade so he gets that same contract from the Knicks. At this point, it’s looking like this will end with a a trade bringing back a slightly positive asset, probably Burk. He’s better than nothing.  JB is in the driver’s seat.  The Mavs could have gotten him last off-season but misevaluated their player. JB proved them wrong by going out and having exactly the same season but playing more minutes.

I could be wrong but the only way JB gets 5 years is if he signs with Mavs. Can’t SnT the 5 year contract.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Smitty's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
(06-27-2022, 06:31 PM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: And then JB demands a sign and trade so he gets that same contract from the Knicks. At this point, it’s looking like this will end with a a trade bringing back a slightly positive asset, probably Burks. He’s better than nothing.  JB is in the driver’s seat.  The Mavs could have gotten him last off-season but misevaluated their player. JB proved them wrong by going out and having exactly the same season but playing more minutes.

Can't sign that same contract with Nicks (no 5th year).

Burks is not a positive asset.  We would get our 23 in addition to Burks (which would be better than nothing).  

A lot of folks are saying the Mavs messed up the evaluation, and that is probably true.  But it is interesting to look at what this collective group thought about giving him an extension last offseason.  The majority of folks did not want to offer the max extension.  Some of our best posters had opinions like "he is not worth half his max extension" or "he is 12-16 minute backup guard".  There were also questions if Brunson that would even take a max extension.  The thought being that he wanted to explore free agency as primary point guard.
[-] The following 3 users Like mvossman's post:
  • DallasMaverick, F Gump, michaeltex
Like Reply
(06-27-2022, 05:00 PM)michaeltex Wrote: As a sarcastic aside...

Is anyone making sure Cuban/Kidd/Nico aren't having dinner together on Thursday evening?

Heh, good point - although they were dining with the newly contracted KP, so if Cuban and co want to have dinner with a newly contracted JB on Thursday I'd be fine with that.  Wink
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/_TradeDeadline/statu...5331969024
Like Reply
Correct if I am wrong, but I don't think Brunson can technically talk to Nico, Cuban, Fin, etc. right now because he's UFA or else it's "tampering." He can probably get away with talking to his dad (NYK assistant) and his agent (Knicks GM's son) all he wants. 

It's all been very one-sided in NYK favor as of late, and for good reason; lets face it his family wants him to get PAID.

MBT have not had the chance to properly respond yet. But of course they could have as easily waved the white flag by now too.
Like Reply
(06-27-2022, 10:52 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: Correct if I am wrong, but I don't think Brunson can technically talk to Nico, Cuban, Fin, etc. right now because he's UFA or else it's "tampering." He can probably get away with talking to his dad (NYK assistant) and his agent (Knicks GM's son) all he wants. 

It's all been very one-sided in NYK favor as of late, and for good reason; lets face it his family wants him to get PAID.

MBT have not had the chance to properly respond yet. But of course they could have as easily waved the white flag by now too.

Technically that is true, but it is pretty clear from last offseason that the FO learned their lesson on how to properly tamper so they didn't get left with their pants down at the beginning of free agency.
Like Reply
Teams can talk to their own FAs as much as they like. While they can't formally agree to new deals before the FA market opens, I've never once seen a team get in trouble for discussing new contracts with their own guys. The league just treats them like they never really made it to the open FA market in the first place.

Now talking to players who are coming from another team is a different matter. Unless you're the Clippers, apparently. In which case all rules are set aside because reasons.
[-] The following 4 users Like Tyler's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, F Gump, michaeltex, omahen
Like Reply
(06-28-2022, 12:14 AM)Tyler Wrote: Teams can talk to their own FAs as much as they like. While they can't formally agree to new deals before the FA market opens, I've never once seen a team get in trouble for discussing new contracts with their own guys. The league just treats them like they never really made it to the open FA market in the first place.

Now talking to players who are coming from another team is a different matter. Unless you're the Clippers, apparently. In which case all rules are set aside because reasons.
Technically, JB isn't an UFA until the next contract season starts, correct?
Like Reply
This video posted 3 days before the Tim Macmahon + Rick Brunson article dropped. 

Harper asks: “Jalen is a Maverick after this season if what happens?” 

Rick Brunson: “Jalen is a Maverick, if we all sit down as a family and try to make the right decision for Jalen. At the end of the day, we will all give our opinion but Jalen makes the final decision. I know he loves it here, enjoys it here. If he decides to stay here, we are going to be happy. I don't see him looking to go anywhere but you never know. It's a business.”

https://youtu.be/sXnBIGVUwcw?t=77
[-] The following 3 users Like Fuerza1's post:
  • F Gump, haveitall, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(06-28-2022, 01:21 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: This video posted 3 days before the Tim Macmahon + Rick Brunson article dropped. 

Harper asks: “Jalen is a Maverick after this season if what happens?” 

Rick Brunson: “Jalen is a Maverick, if we all sit down as a family and try to make the right decision for Jalen. At the end of the day, we will all give our opinion but Jalen makes the final decision. I know he loves it here, enjoys it here. If he decides to stay here, we are going to be happy. I don't see him looking to go anywhere but you never know. It's a business.”

https://youtu.be/sXnBIGVUwcw?t=77

My interpretation of the last few days:

Knicks offering 100/4
Mavs offering between 90/4 and 110/5.

Jalen saying match the Knicks offer or slap $10M on the 5th year with a player option.

He feels appreciated, well compensated and a higher salary also makes it less likely for him that he´s traded at the next opportunity.

It can´t be about the role. That should be the most clearly defined part of the whole conversation.
Like Reply