Poll: Brunson:
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Start
65.22%
30 65.22%
Bench
8.70%
4 8.70%
Trade
26.09%
12 26.09%
Total 46 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 1.75 Average
BRUNSON BURNER: to NYK for 4yrs/$104M (no SnT) | NYK docked 2025 2nd for tampering
@"jdb152" it is great to have you back, man! Bringing it!
Like Reply
Quote:As to Brunson. I am not saying he is easily replaceable, or replaceable at all, but his position is amongst the easiest to find good, serviceable bodies for.

Cool. How many of those good, serviceable bodies can score 20+ ppg in the playoffs against elite defenses? That's what we'd be losing if we let Brunson go.
Like Reply
(06-25-2022, 08:43 PM)jdb152 Wrote: Not at all. I never said those things were guarantees or that it would be easy. Still, I think the result forecasting doom is clouded vision. Dinwiddie will be 18 months beyond his surgery, with a full offseason to further acclimate to his team/system & benefit from the medical staff. Totally different players but he is fully capable of giving you 16/4. If that needs to be the primary ball handler off the bench, so be it. We didn't have THJ after the new year. If he's here, there's another 15ppg guy. They already added a guy that is going to land between 18-22ppg in Wood. There are quality, affordable guards other than Dragic. As for Green, I told folks when he was hot that his growth was not worthy but that he would be a zero factor in the playoffs. He's entering Year 3 now. The jump usually starts happening, for prospects like him, in Year 3. I'm not suggesting he leaps into the starting lineup or becomes a member of the closing 5. To think he could become an viable option as the third wing or become a real threat in the passing game is completely reasonable. After tasting some success and now knowing he has a staff that will reward him, I expect a significant step forward from him.(to know I'm on the level here, I lost my mind when they passed on Bey to take him).

I don't want JB gone. We are absolutely a better team with him than without. Still, to look at the four players I mentioned, know that we still have a TPE for a day or so, know that FA hasn't opened & that's when things really get going, see the tradeable contracts and think a guy like Nico, who has shown so much in less than a year, can't find a way to keep this team going is folly. That's what I am saying. All this panic is basically the result of the last decade Nelson gave us. Nelson is gone. Nico ain't Nelson.

I'm not spreading doom and gloom, but the fact is whatever they do to improve the team if Brunson walks, the team wont be as good as if Brunson was still here.  There is no positive to Brunson leaving.  It does not help them make moves to address him missing.  He is a very good player and losing a very good player on a team is going to be a hit.  If he stays, then the question is how much better we can be.  If he walks, the question is can we get back to as good as we were this season.
[-] The following 3 users Like mvossman's post:
  • Branduil, omahen, Smitty
Like Reply
https://nypost.com/2022/06/26/jalen-brun...or-knicks/

Back up plans already?  I don't pretend to know what JB will decide but the Knicks needed to make PR moves after the strange draft and putting out the JB stuff helped in the short term.  

Media, even Stein, needs people tuning in/clicking on his intel.

I am back to leaning that JB will stay with a slightly larger contract than NY offers.  I don't think the Mavs will do a sign and trade either.  If JB was leaving, why would he weaken the team he will soon lead.  Why would Mark pay luxury tax on meh players coming back? The only sign and trade would have to include the 23 pick.  Not worth a whole lot on its own but would open up all our future picks for trading.  That takes the sting out a little.  IF NY has the space, why would they give away a pick?

JB has a winning basketball family here.  I think that is worth something in his calculus.
[-] The following 4 users Like Hypermav's post:
  • Jommybone, KillerLeft, MAVS-SLO, mvossman
Like Reply
Jalen needs to know if he signs here, he is a part of our long terms plans.  Nothing is guaranteed in the NBA, but he needs to be shown he is more than an asset.    I don't trust Cuban at all to portray this.   Hopefully Nico can.  Can we add a trade kicker to the contract?   There is no more no trade clauses right?

I think Jalen has confidence Leon Rose would view him more of an asset.  On the other hand if the Knicks miss out of the playoffs there is a good chance Thibs is gone.....and possibly their front office too.   Although I would assume at this point the front office may be given another year.
Like Reply
I think Jalen already decided where he will play next year. It's just about timing when he will said publicly (didn't somebody also twitted that will be the similar time when Porzingis extension was announced?).

Others already wrote the whole Knicks situation and i completly agree with them. I don't think that Knicks are smart choice for Jalen.

Also Nico Harrison's words make me a little more relaxed about that situation. At the end of season directly spoke about situation:

1. Big man - done

2. Draft - done

And next one is Brunson situation to be solved.

PS: It's quite interesting that Jalen's father offered 2 time contract extension to the Mavs just few months ago and in that time they were already talks about him possibly joining a Knicks. The price mentioned is almost double lower to the price now (and i think it's mistake that they didn't extend before), but if they were sceptical about anything, after this playoff they will surrely extend him, just the price will be much higher.
Like Reply
We've backed ourselves into a corner here. It's very unfortunate how they've handled the situation but for now I'm still pretty confident that they CAN keep him around. The question is do they want to. The fifth year and higher annual raises give us a clear financial advantage. I agree that paying Brunson $30+M seems absurd but at the end of the day it pretty cleary is the best option for us. The moment he leaves the team takes a big hit with no path to replace him adequately. 

Also you always gotta keep Luka in mind. The guy already has to play for half a decade now without an allstar teammate and probably also will never do so over his stint in DAL. That by itself is a pretty huge screwup, you can't let Brunson walk on top of that and expect Doncic to be happy about it.
[-] The following 3 users Like JamesConway912's post:
  • ItsGoTime, KillerLeft, omahen
Like Reply
I love Brunson and would keep him at any price, but that doesn't exclude the fact that people are making up some version of Brunson in their minds that IMO doesn't really exist.  He was GREAT against the Jazz and very mediocre to sometimes good in the two series after.  He shot a whopping 20% from three against the Suns.  He was 18 ppg in the two series after the Jazz.  Defense was really bad in some of those games in which the team COULDN'T cover it up.  That's nothing to scoff at, but it's not something you burn the house down over.  Not when you literally just got an 18 ppg center.  

I would say the biggest issue of Brunson going to NY would be the repetitive picture of talented guys not choosing Dallas over other teams.  And what would it say about Luka if Brunson didn't want to play with him anymore?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Moviemavguy's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
(06-26-2022, 10:31 AM)Moviemavguy Wrote: I love Brunson and would keep him at any price, but that doesn't exclude the fact that people are making up some version of Brunson in their minds that IMO doesn't really exist. 

It's not that some of us think Brunson is a better player than you do, it's that some of us believe Brunson is a better (and more rare) type of player than you do. 

This is a bonafide lead guard. I didn't see it for a couple of seasons, and I was skeptical about what I was seeing the last Carlisle season, but when he came out and did it again this past season I was sold.
[-] The following 3 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • F Gump, Mapka, Smitty
Like Reply
(06-26-2022, 09:06 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Jalen needs to know if he signs here, he is a part of our long terms plans.  Nothing is guaranteed in the NBA, but he needs to be shown he is more than an asset.    I don't trust Cuban at all to portray this.   Hopefully Nico can.  Can we add a trade kicker to the contract?   There is no more no trade clauses right?

I think Jalen has confidence Leon Rose would view him more of an asset.  On the other hand if the Knicks miss out of the playoffs there is a good chance Thibs is gone.....and possibly their front office too.   Although I would assume at this point the front office may be given another year.

I think this is incredibly insightful.

It also is relevant to the size of the contract. If you think you might get bounced around the league, you want the biggest deal you can get -- even an albatross deal, which makes it harder to trade you.

If he doesn't trust that he has a HOME in Dallas, it's hard to put that genie back in the bottle.

About no-trades, those are legal to negotiate in certain situations, but JB doesn't qualify (mainly, must have 8 NBA years). The max trade kicker (15%) could help, if prefers Dallas but doesn't quite trust the FO to keep him.
[-] The following 1 user Likes F Gump's post:
  • Jommybone
Like Reply
Well IF he wants a NO-Trade Clause Brunson could always sign 1 yr deals with the Mavs
[-] The following 1 user Likes SkenfromLMF's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
3-Level scoring and playmaking amongst this FA class, Brunson is in Zach "$42M AAV" Lavine territory. 

https://twitter.com/NBA_University/statu...4733106177
[-] The following 2 users Like Fuerza1's post:
  • KillerLeft, Smitty
Like Reply
(06-26-2022, 02:23 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: 3-Level scoring and playmaking

People get so desensitized to this when they see it frequently. It's so much more rare than we realize, hence all of the interest in Brunson.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply
Most people just want what they don’t have. If Brunson played for some other team and was available there would be a thread dedicated to how the Mavs could/should get him.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Smitty's post:
  • burekemde
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/MavsFilmRoom/status/...5390827520
Like Reply
(06-26-2022, 05:11 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/MavsFilmRoom/status/...5390827520

Most FA and trade conversations seem somewhat futile until this is resolved.
[-] The following 3 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • ItsGoTime, Kammrath, Tyler
Like Reply
(06-26-2022, 05:43 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Most FA and trade conversations seem somewhat futile until this is resolved.
Agreed, just s few more days.
Like Reply
(06-26-2022, 05:43 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Most FA and trade conversations seem somewhat futile until this is resolved.

What I have not seen yet is anyone talk about the Wood trade and how that might affect the Brunson signing this summer.  If the Mavs sign Brunson for 20+ mil this summer and then offer Wood a 20+ mil extension next season, aren't they in the land of repeat LT in season 23/24?
Like Reply
(06-26-2022, 08:42 PM)chaparral Wrote: What I have not seen yet is anyone talk about the Wood trade and how that might affect the Brunson signing this summer.  If the Mavs sign Brunson for 20+ mil this summer and then offer Wood a 20+ mil extension next season, aren't they in the land of repeat LT in season 23/24?

No. A repeater tax doesn't kick in until the 4th time a team is over the tax line.
Like Reply
https://nypost.com/2022/06/25/jalen-brun...to-knicks/

Quote:“Jalen would go over to the Bulls facility and practice with the Bulls players,” Pat Ambrose, Brunson’s coach at Adlai Stevenson High School who remains close to him, told The Post in a phone interview. “That’s where he became good friends with Derrick Rose. So your story gets deep with the Knicks. Derrick saw that young Jalen was a very, very good player and Derrick was a Chicago kid, and really started to mentor Jalen basketball-wise.”

Quote:“I’m sure Leon Rose will play up all those ties,” Ambrose said. “I would not be surprised [if he wound up with the Knicks]. … The positive thing for the Knicks is he chose to go back home one time [for college] and there was success. Maybe he chooses to go back home again.”

The coach later added: “He likes Dallas, I know he likes Dallas. But he’s a [New] Jersey/New York guy.”

Quote:“Being the man I wouldn’t say would be a top thing for him,” Ambrose said. “Putting the ball in his hands, any NBA player wants that, but he wants to win. I know winning is important to him and I know that something he really prides himself on is causing wins and making wins. That’s always his focus.”

Quote:“Not so much that money talks, but how much more money?” Ambrose wondered. “If Dallas slightly insults him with a low ball offer and New York shows it really, really wants him, it could change things. He’s also a young man that knows that he can help build a winner, he can work on that, and the future in the NBA can be pretty fleeting, whether it be an injury or drafts and things like that. He obviously knows Tom Thibodeau real well and knows that guy knows how to build winners.”
Like Reply