Poll: Brunson:
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Start
65.22%
30 65.22%
Bench
8.70%
4 8.70%
Trade
26.09%
12 26.09%
Total 46 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 1.75 Average
BRUNSON BURNER: to NYK for 4yrs/$104M (no SnT) | NYK docked 2025 2nd for tampering
(06-24-2022, 11:37 AM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: I agree that the pitch is super weak and honestly, he may end up having lower usage than he expects there with Barrett and Randle but man....there is a lot of smoke right now.

I think we still have the edge but July 1st can not come any faster for me.
I think the pitch includes them sharing with JB that Randle is not in their long term plans and that opens up possibly a lot of opportunity for him and Barrett to share the ball. Otherwise, yes, it is probably not much better than here. Thibs is also IMO not a big selling point.
Like Reply
(06-24-2022, 12:38 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I think the pitch includes them sharing with JB that Randle is not in their long term plans and that opens up possibly a lot of opportunity for him and Barrett to share the ball. Otherwise, yes, it is probably not much better than here. Thibs is also IMO not a big selling point.

So their selling point is not even their current team, but "Yeah we'll totally trade this guy who sucks for a better guy"? Man they really suck at this.
Like Reply
(06-24-2022, 12:53 PM)Branduil Wrote: So their selling point is not even their current team, but "Yeah we'll totally trade this guy who sucks for a better guy"? Man they really suck at this.
How rude.
Like Reply
Anyone read Stein's latest substack article he posted a couple hours ago?  I hear it's a little more doom and gloom than he's been so far on the Brunson topic.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status...5137970176

[Image: FWDNi1ZXoAUqIwC?format=jpg&name=large]
Like Reply
(06-24-2022, 05:24 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status...5137970176

[Image: FWDNi1ZXoAUqIwC?format=jpg&name=large]

Where was this in APRIL??? Did I miss it back then?

That quote reads to me like even his Dad agrees that he shouldn't necessarily go for "what Luka has." 

"You try to raise them right in terms of understanding the game, but..."
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/KevinGraySports/stat...3191251971
Like Reply
RE: The Brunson Situation

My thoughts on things as of this moment....

1) I think in the end this 100% comes down to JB deciding what he wants for his future role. Does JB want to be "the man" and "have what Luka has" (as his dad put it)? Or is JB content to live in the shadow of of Luka?

2) DAL can offer a bigger contract now, BUT the larger role in NYK affords marketing $$$ he will never get in DAL.

3) A 5th year is immaterial IMO. JB will want to cash in on his last big contract after four years anyways. If he takes a 5 year contract in DAL he will want a player option. 

4) JB is a winner and so he will believe that he will win no matter where he goes. I don't think for a second that he will think the NYK option is choosing the "loser's" path. He may not be inclined to trust NYK's track record, but NYK has voices that JB trusts telling him things are different. 

5) I think the friendships he has in DAL are the biggest thing DAL has going for it honestly. I think if he decides to take the smaller role in DAL that it will be because of his friendships with the players and coaches he currently has.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply
(06-24-2022, 05:26 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: That quote reads to me like even his Dad agrees that he shouldn't necessarily go for "what Luka has." 

"You try to raise them right in terms of understanding the game, but..."

Yes, it reads like that....while also reading like JB does indeed want a bigger role.
  • DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply
(06-24-2022, 05:47 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Yes, it reads like that....while also reading like JB does indeed want a bigger role.

Right, that’s what I’M saying!

If this quote happened in April, why is McMahon just giving it to us now!?
Like Reply
(06-24-2022, 05:52 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: If this quote happened in April, why is McMahon just giving it to us now!?

It might have been in a piece we missed. Not certain. I don't read all his stuff.
Like Reply
(06-24-2022, 05:47 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Yes, it reads like that....while also reading like JB does indeed want a bigger role.

Jalen is certainly the guy that grabs the keys on a road trip with friends.  He had playoff success with and without Luka this year.  He's made about six million in his NBA career, a little over half a million more than his dad, and is soon to be 26.  His next contract will be life altering no matter the decision he makes but his potential will always be held back in Dallas alongside Luka.  That's not to say he'll reach that potential elsewhere, but if he could bring any type of success to the Knicks he'd be a god to them and have a lot of lucrative marketing opportunities.  And if he elevates his game again, his next contract would far outclass the next contract he'd earn if he stayed here.  

I don't see a lot of downside in him leaving the Mavs, even if his tenure with the Knicks isn't a smashing success.  He'll still be elite at what he does and have all the shortcomings as well.  Leaving the Mavs dashes what I'd consider already slim title hopes and of course leaving those developed relationships.  

And while I think there are contract numbers that are far too expensive to retain Jalen, short of medicals, I don't think the Mavs outbidding the competition would ever leave you with a contract that is untradeable or one that doesn't hold some positive value.
[-] The following 3 users Like cow's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, Fuerza1, Kammrath
Like Reply
(06-24-2022, 06:01 PM)cow Wrote: Jalen is certainly the guy that grabs the keys on a road trip with friends.  He had playoff success with and without Luka this year.  He's made about six million in his NBA career, a little over half a million more than his dad, and is soon to be 26.  His next contract will be life altering no matter the decision he makes but his potential will always be held back in Dallas alongside Luka.  That's not to say he'll reach that potential elsewhere, but if he could bring any type of success to the Knicks he'd be a god to them and have a lot of lucrative marketing opportunities.  And if he elevates his game again, his next contract would far outclass the next contract he'd earn if he stayed here.  

I don't see a lot of downside in him leaving the Mavs, even if his tenure with the Knicks isn't a smashing success.  He'll still be elite at what he does and have all the shortcomings as well.  Leaving the Mavs dashes what I'd consider already slim title hopes and of course leaving those developed relationships.  

And while I think there are contract numbers that are far too expensive to retain Jalen, short of medicals, I don't think the Mavs outbidding the competition would ever leave you with a contract that is untradeable or one that doesn't hold some positive value.

This is great stuff.

After seeing what JB did against UTA in the playoffs without Luka, I started to believe he would leave. It's ironic because I wanted to trade him before I saw that....then I saw it and 100% wanted to keep him, but seeing that might have ruined the chances of keeping him. And to your point, DAL should be willing to match/outbid anything NYK decides to offer. 

But even with DAL doing that I am not sure it is enough for him to stay. DAL is not an overwhelming title favorite with JB staying. Getting back to the WCF is not a given (and most of that lies at the feet of Luka's growth IMO). 

Hearing Stein on this and thinking through it soberly I think JB is a coin toss situation, 50-50 this could easily go either way. And if I was forced to choose a favorite I would lean toward NYK despite the reporting of Fischer (who I think is REALLY good, but I don't think JB's teammates honestly know what he is going to do).
Like Reply
(06-24-2022, 06:07 PM)Kammrath Wrote: This is great stuff.

After seeing what JB did against UTA in the playoffs without Luka, I started to believe he would leave. It's ironic because I wanted to trade him before I saw that....then I saw it and 100% wanted to keep him, but seeing that might have ruined the chances of keeping him. And to your point, DAL should be willing to match/outbid anything NYK decides to offer. 

But even with DAL doing that I am not sure it is enough for him to stay. DAL is not an overwhelming title favorite with JB staying. Getting back to the WCF is not a given (and most of that lies at the feet of Luka's growth IMO). 

Hearing Stein on this and thinking through it soberly I think JB is a coin toss situation, 50-50 this could easily go either way. And if I was forced to choose a favorite I would lean toward NYK despite the reporting of Fischer (who I think is REALLY good, but I don't think JB's teammates honestly know what he is going to do).

I'd still put us in the driver's seat.  60/40 or 70/30.  I do think Jalen has a sense of loyalty.  

I think Cuban could mess the situation up and i wouldn't totally blame him if he had a number in mind that he isn't willing to go over.  My hope is Nico has a big enough voice and that they realize that the situation kind of has the team over a barrel with their CAP and asset situation.  Jalen, even overpaid, is a guy you can include in trying to get your upgraded second star and almost any receiving team would be happy to have in return.
Like Reply
(06-24-2022, 06:14 PM)cow Wrote: I'd still put us in the driver's seat.  60/40 or 70/30.  I do think Jalen has a sense of loyalty.  

I think Cuban could mess the situation up and i wouldn't totally blame him if he had a number in mind that he isn't willing to go over.  My hope is Nico has a big enough voice and that they realize that the situation kind of has the team over a barrel with their CAP and asset situation.  Jalen, even overpaid, is a guy you can include in trying to get your upgraded second star and almost any receiving team would be happy to have in return.

Yes, like I said above that Jalen's relationships and friendships right now are the only thing I really see going in DAL's favor here (or "loyalty" as you put it). It will be interesting to see it play out.

And I also agree JB isn't worth more than $20-25M a year, but you absolutely go above that UNLESS you can get a significant return from NYK (two 1sts, etc) in a sign and trade.
Like Reply
Jalen is best friends with Luka, currently working out with Maxi, reports less than 48 hours ago that he told teammates (Luka/Maxi) he’ll be back but now Stein says there’s “a chance”. Sounds like the same ole media stuff to me. They have to fill the downtime with something I suppose.

Not saying JB won’t ultimately choose the Knicks; just that every new report contradicts the previous one. My tipsy opinion - Brunson will continue his quest for a championship with the Mavericks 1 second into free agency. 5/125 PO
[-] The following 1 user Likes Smitty's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/CBAMavs/status/1540501248730079232
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
I feel like the Mavs made moves preparing for this.  If Brunson leaves, how do you replicate his production?  Welp, Wood averaged 18 ppg on 39% shooting.  But we need a guard?  Welp, got Hardy (a taller, more athletic version of Brunson with more upside), traded for Dinwiddie, and THJ is coming back.  And you could go after a Brogdon or Hield if you really wanted to.  

I kinda feel like it's not the end of the world if he walks.  And if Hardy is the real deal, then maybe it's for the best.  

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big Brunson fan, but this isn't like past situations hoping a guy chooses us.  Mavs are in a position of strength here.
Like Reply
(06-24-2022, 09:29 PM)Moviemavguy Wrote: I kinda feel like it's not the end of the world if he walks.

It's not. There will always be the "sky is falling" crowd that will act like all hope is lost. 

But if he walks for nothing it is a disappointing setback for the Mavs from a talent and asset perspective. You can recover from it, but it is still a significant loss you want to avoid.
Like Reply
(06-24-2022, 09:29 PM)Moviemavguy Wrote: I feel like the Mavs made moves preparing for this.  If Brunson leaves, how do you replicate his production?  Welp, Wood averaged 18 ppg on 39% shooting.  But we need a guard?  Welp, got Hardy (a taller, more athletic version of Brunson with more upside), traded for Dinwiddie, and THJ is coming back.  And you could go after a Brogdon or Hield if you really wanted to.  

I kinda feel like it's not the end of the world if he walks.  And if Hardy is the real deal, then maybe it's for the best.  

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big Brunson fan, but this isn't like past situations hoping a guy chooses us.  Mavs are in a position of strength here.

I think you are greatly underestimating how much losing their #2 scorer for nothing (or S&T table scraps) would hurt the Mavs. It would take years to recover from that. Wood is not a Brunson replacement, he's a potential fix for a major problem area in the front court. And Hardy is a project who will take years to become a productive NBA player, if he ever does.

More importantly, losing Brunson would be a sign Cuban still isn't serious about winning, and if he isn't serious now, he never will be.
[-] The following 2 users Like Branduil's post:
  • mvossman, Smitty
Like Reply