Poll: Brunson:
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Start
65.22%
30 65.22%
Bench
8.70%
4 8.70%
Trade
26.09%
12 26.09%
Total 46 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 1.75 Average
BRUNSON BURNER: to NYK for 4yrs/$104M (no SnT) | NYK docked 2025 2nd for tampering
Didn’t Nash at one point say he might not have done the things he did for his body had he stayed in Dal? I seem to remember something like that. We know Phx at the time had the best medical staff. Nash staying might not have produced the same guy he was in Phx at all. Regardless of all that, losing him for nothing is the biggest issue.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
While it was not a direct transaction, the Mavs sort of swapped Nash out for JTerry that off-season. It wasn’t what I would have done, but Terry was a good player and great leader who was instrumental in getting the Mavs into two finals.  So, there’s no sense rehashing that.  Now, JB is not Nash, who was an all time great offensive player, but the Mavs also, at this point, will get virtually nothing in return either directly or indirectly if JB leaves. That’s the main reason I’ve said start him. He’s going to get paid, so the Mavs need to give him big responsibility to make sure he’s worth it.  So far, he’s getting the job done.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ThisIStheYear's post:
  • ClutchDirk
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/MavsPR/status/1480374742712475656
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(01-09-2022, 10:07 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/MavsPR/status/1480374742712475656

And a 4-0 win streak as a starter since Luka returned
Like Reply
He needs to do a better job of pulling the trigger on open threes.
[-] The following 3 users Like cow's post:
  • dirkfansince1998, KillerLeft, mvossman
Like Reply
He would be even better if he wouldn´t pass up so many catch and shoot opportunities. That´s one area where the Luka/Brunson duo still has a lot of room to improve. They are creating for themself and others. Not really for each other.
[-] The following 3 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • fifteenth, KillerLeft, mvossman
Like Reply
(01-09-2022, 10:35 PM)cow Wrote: He needs to do a better job of pulling the trigger on open threes.

For SURE. This was a frustrating thing about last night's game for me.
Like Reply
He probably does have to let it fly a little more.  But his 3 percentage is a little down this year.  I would consider him an elite mid range player and very good at the rim, but only slightly above average from three.   Jalen is going to get high percentage shots most times.  It is a nice balance from the really difficult Luka, KP and Hardaway threes.   

He was 8-10 last night.  There is a strong argument if he continues his high percentage shots that he should be getting more shots though.
Like Reply
(01-10-2022, 02:12 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: He was 8-10 last night.  There is a strong argument if he continues his high percentage shots that he should be getting more shots though.

He made 8 shots out of 10. Luka made 8 shots out of 23. JB needs about 5 of the shots that Luka is consistently taking.
Like Reply
(01-10-2022, 02:12 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: He probably does have to let it fly a little more.  But his 3 percentage is a little down this year.  I would consider him an elite mid range player and very good at the rim, but only slightly above average from three.   Jalen is going to get high percentage shots most times.  It is a nice balance from the really difficult Luka, KP and Hardaway threes.   

He was 8-10 last night.  There is a strong argument if he continues his high percentage shots that he should be getting more shots though.

I love Brunson's mid-range game. No argument there. 

I don't love him passing up a great look on a catch and shoot to pump fake and drive ineffectively, resulting in the need to start a completely new action with much less time on the shot clock, and ultimately a less quality attempt than the original 3 would've been. That happened at least 2-3 times last night. It's a relatively small nitpick, but that's where we are with Brunson. He's playing well enough for us to get nitpicky, I think.
[-] The following 4 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • BasketballJones41, ClutchDirk, dirkfansince1998, fifteenth
Like Reply
(01-10-2022, 02:16 PM)Kammrath Wrote: He made 8 shots out of 10. Luka made 8 shots out of 23. JB needs about 5 of the shots that Luka is consistently taking.

Should at least mention that both have different roles. Brunson can be more selective because he is playing next to a one-man offense like Luka. That´s why it is always important to consider volume and efficiency. Can a player that is really efficient in the 15ppg range increase the volume to 25ppg without tanking the efficiency.
For all the well deserved credit. Brunsons TS% is not close to last seasons level. Nearly 5% worse. His midrange percentage was better. His 3-point percentage was a lot better.
[-] The following 2 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • BasketballJones41, mvossman
Like Reply
(01-10-2022, 02:17 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I don't love him passing up a great look on a catch and shoot to pump fake and drive ineffectively, resulting in the need to start a completely new action with much less time on the shot clock, and ultimately a less quality attempt than the original 3 would've been. That happened at least 2-3 times last night. It's a relatively small nitpick, but that's where we are with Brunson. He's playing well enough for us to get nitpicky, I think.

This goes along with the point that I was trying to make. Brunson passing up a good look only works if the Mavs can create a better one. That´s not a given. Especially if it leaves another player under pressure to create with 8-10s left on the clock.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(01-10-2022, 02:49 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Should at least mention that both have different roles. Brunson can be more selective because he is playing next to a one-man offense like Luka. That´s why it is always important to consider volume and efficiency. Can a player that is really efficient in the 15ppg range increase the volume to 25ppg without tanking the efficiency.
For all the well deserved credit. Brunsons TS% is not close to last seasons level. Nearly 5% worse. His midrange percentage was better. His 3-point percentage was a lot better.

In the 10 games without Luka recently, JB shot the ball 16 times a game while filling the Luka role. Luka shoots it 21 times per game this year. Also while filling the Luka role, JB shot 51%/38%/78%. 

I think it is reasonable to ask Luka to shoot ~17 FGA and to try to get JB up to ~14 FGA.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • BackToSquareOne
Like Reply
(01-10-2022, 03:29 PM)Kammrath Wrote: In the 10 games without Luka recently, JB shot the ball 16 times a game while filling the Luka role. Luka shoots it 21 times per game this year. Also while filling the Luka role, JB shot 51%/38%/78%. 

I think it is reasonable to ask Luka to shoot ~17 FGA and to try to get JB up to ~14 FGA.

Luka probably takes a couple more difficult shots than he needs to, but those shots do serve a purpose.  They keep the defense honest and make it easier for him to get to the midrange and rim (or work his way into the heart of the defense for an assist).  I think if you tried to cut down his shots to what would appear to be the perfectly efficient number, he would have a harder time getting to his spots and the end result would be less than hoped for.  It would help if the other guys would take wide open shots when they have them.
[-] The following 3 users Like mvossman's post:
  • ballsrchr, BasketballJones41, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
Brunson: 
  • 6th in the entire NBA in charges drawn. 
  • 11th in the NBA in 2PT FG%, 2nd amongst guards.
  • 58.5 FG% on DRIVES, 2nd in the NBA behind only Giannis.
  • 4th in points per possession as the PnR Ball Handler (90th percentile).
  • 5th in PPP on ISOLATION plays (83rd percentile).
  • 25th in total 4Q points

11-10 record as a starter this season but many without Luka and/or KP. In fact, Luka/KP/JB have started zero games together this season.

6 starts with Luka for 5-1 record; Brunson + KP at 4-7 record (losses against PHX x2, LAC, LAL, UTAH, MIN, SAC). 

2-2 record without Luka/KP (losses to MIL, MEM).
[-] The following 5 users Like Fuerza1's post:
  • ClutchDirk, DallasMaverick, DanSchwartzgan, Kammrath, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status...7265400832
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/iztok_franko/status/...8989612032

https://twitter.com/mavspanama/status/14...4405326851

https://twitter.com/coopmavs/status/1482430855473680384
Like Reply
Question regarding Brunson's contract: I've heard it referred to as an unforced error on the Mavs in that they didn't make the final year a team option which prevents him from being a RFA at the end of the season.

My question is was this just a complete oversight by the old regime or were they making a risk/reward judgement that ended up being wrong? In other words, was there ever any possible advantage to writing the contract the way it is or was it just a complete fail on their part?
Like Reply
(01-16-2022, 07:53 PM)Jmaciscool Wrote: Question regarding Brunson's contract: I've heard it referred to as an unforced error on the Mavs in that they didn't make the final year a team option which prevents him from being a RFA at the end of the season.

My question is was this just a complete oversight by the old regime or were they making a risk/reward judgement that ended up being wrong? In other words, was there ever any possible advantage to writing the contract the way it is or was it just a complete fail on their part?

Man...I read on here like a year ago that this was something jb and his team setup. And it was being discussed as a savy move by him and his team and most players don't negotiate for what he got.  

Again...something like that.  I would not make this up because I have no idea what the give and take is.  But I read that here.

There is also somwthing about him being a 2nd round pick and last year not fully guaranteed or it is....I forget.

I asked about it a month ago and people said there is nothing unique about jbs contract so I don't know.  All I know is it seems to be an issue that is in his favor.
Like Reply
(01-16-2022, 08:12 PM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: Man...I read on here like a year ago that this was something jb and his team setup. And it was being discussed as a savy move by him and his team and most players don't negotiate for what he got.  

Again...something like that.  I would not make this up because I have no idea what the give and take is.  But I read that here.

There is also somwthing about him being a 2nd round pick and last year not fully guaranteed or it is....I forget.

I asked about it a month ago and people said there is nothing unique about jbs contract so I don't know.  All I know is it seems to be an issue that is in his favor.

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2018/07/16/mav...-contract/

The Mavericks have frequently signed second-round players to longer and richer contracts than most.  I seem to remember there's actually an advantage, since first-round picks can only sign three-year contracts.  Dallas is betting that the second-rounder turns into something serviceable, and they exercise control longer and cheaper.

Sometime's it's really tough to tell what an 18-year-old draftee is going to develop into, even after his three-year contract is complete.  Teams are stuck with a difficult decision about whether, and for how much, to re-sign for, based purely on potential and trajectory.

I seem to remember they did the same for Isaiah Roby a couple of years ago.
Like Reply