Poll: Who gets the Dirkie?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
DINWIDDIE (-4, 22 pts, 4 rbd, 3 ast, 3 stls, 1 game winner)
53.13%
17 53.13%
DFS (+10, 9 pts, 6 rbd)
3.13%
1 3.13%
POWELL (-5, 12 pts, 6 rbd, 2 ast)
0%
0 0%
BRUNSON (+7, 18 pts, 5 rbd, 3 ast)
9.38%
3 9.38%
LUKA (-4, 37 pts, 9 rbd, 9 ast, 2 ast, 1 blk)
28.13%
9 28.13%
GREEN (+2, 6 pts, 1 rbd, 1 ast, 2-4 from 3)
0%
0 0%
MAVS FREE THROW SHOOTING 19-19
6.25%
2 6.25%
Total 32 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 69 DIRKIE: Winwiddie! (53%)
Mavs backcourt.  I have to vote for one and Spencer killed it in the 4th, including the game winner.  But what a dominating backcourt game that was from all three!  Wow.  Luka was amazing!
Like Reply
It's over for the league if Luka ever gets consistent with the elbow 2-pointer like he hit with 22 seconds left
Loved that shot so much

But gotta be Dinwiddie for the Dirkie
Playing with so much confidence
Like Reply
I voted for Luka because he was excellent from start to finish, basically. 

But it was difficult not to vote Dinwiddie on the game-winner alone. My goodness, I hope his catch-and-shoot three pointing isn't just a hot streak, because his driving is legit.
Like Reply
At this point, given that he's a top-5 player in the league, Luka only gets a Dirkie vote for truly historic performances. Not for simple superstar performances like 37/9/9

Yes, Dimwiddie hit the gamewinner. But he was also pretty much a non-factor for the first half.

DFS and Kleber both did a good job on Durant, but they split the time AND both got plenty of team help as well while neither was a major factor on the offensive side.

Brunson's takeover of the game to start the 4th is what got us back in to the game so we were even in position for Luka and Dimwiddie to make game winners.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Arioch's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply
(03-16-2022, 11:59 PM)Arioch Wrote: DFS and Kleber both did a good job on Durant, but they split the time AND both got plenty of team help as well while neither was a major factor on the offensive side.

DFS, in particular, had 3-4 really clutch stops on KD 1-on-1 throughout the game. Luka had one great one late, too. 

But, as you say, this doesn't compare to the job he did on Tatum the other night because the game plan was clearly to double KP as much as humanly possible. I think they basically chose not to down the stretch a few times, randomly, just to confuse and disrupt Brooklyn.

Still, it might sound silly, but I was pretty pretty impressed by how effectively the entire team was able to double team Durant, tbh. He's like Dirk, in that he's tall enough that good defense (even double teams) don't really matter much to him most of the time. The fact that they frustrated him so much in the first half, as evidenced by him push Kleber after a great ball denial, tells me that the Mavs doubled him tonight better than other teams do.

Credit to coach Kidd and the amount of defensive buy-in he's getting from this team, imo.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • ballsrchr, Jommybone
Like Reply
Has anybody mentioned free throws? 19/19 in a game you win by 2? Pretty cool. 

Lukanova’s 37/9/9 may seem just a small step above the norm. But on a very efficient shooting night, without too many turnovers, and with perfect shooting from the charity stripe. That’s enough to get my vote.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jommybone's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
I don't think we would have won this game without DFS and Maxi playing defense.  Sure, the entire team played pretty good.

As some have said the game plan was pretty good, so Kidd and the other coaches deserve a shout out.  It's looking more and more like Kidd has finally learned--a lot.  I am actually pulling for him...

I still can't give the Dirkie to someone who was rather pedestrian most of the game but ends up hitting the game winner.  But I am glad we got rid of KP and brought in Dinwiddie...and Bertans if/when he gets in rhythm and starts dropping those long bombs.

Brunson was a solid little anchor for the team and kept them in the game when it looked pretty dire.

Luka.  37/9/9--2 steals/1 block.  I...am...somewhat mystified when this is what we expect, or close to it, from Luka every night.  Truth is, this is pretty damn good and we wouldn't have won the game without Luka.

I guess I've got to say the entire team is playing pretty good, but my Dirkie goes to LUKA!
Like Reply
(03-16-2022, 11:59 PM)Arioch Wrote: At this point, given that he's a top-5 player in the league, Luka only gets a Dirkie vote for truly historic performances. Not for simple superstar performances like 37/9/9

Yes, Dimwiddie hit the gamewinner. But he was also pretty much a non-factor for the first half.

DFS and Kleber both did a good job on Durant, but they split the time AND both got plenty of team help as well while neither was a major factor on the offensive side.

Brunson's takeover of the game to start the 4th is what got us back in to the game so we were even in position for Luka and Dimwiddie to make game winners.

This is where I landed also.  It needed to be someone who played in the first four minutes of the fourth where we went on a 15-2 run to pull within one.  That is where we got back in the game and gave ourselves a shot for the heroic finish.  To me, it was either Brunson or Powell as both were excellent during that run.  But, you have to give it to Brunson for his overall game.

I'll put a couple of other game notes here.  We beat the second beast of the east in two games with Bullock away from the team.  I wouldn't sleep on the idea of him being part of the package for a player like Holmes.  Better contract than THJ and a good reputation as a perimeter defender.  I think Green is already a better defender.  I could see Green as a 20 minute starter next season.  THJ helps the O off the bench and some of the game we may play 3 PG's (assuming all 3 are still here).  So, the minutes for the starting SF might be fairly limited.  Obviously Bullock could fill that role and Green continue to come off the bench if THJ is traded.  I'm just pointing out that there are alternatives and we just won two big road games without either of Bullock or THJ.  

Brooklyn hunted Bertans in the 2nd and I think scored four buckets in a row on him.  Yet, he ended up +6 for the game because he was part of the early fourth lineup that made the big comeback.  He was REALLY bad in the second.  Don't know if this says more about the vagaries of +/- in small sample sizes or if it says Bertans has some crazy 3 point gravity that really helps in other places.

Dinwiddie has been absolute money in the fourth quarter of games.  I'd be interested to see his numbers for the first quarter.  He really gets off to slow starts and looks like a worse version of player Washington wanted to get rid of.     

It feels like we've settled into Maxi as the closing big.  Depending on the opponent, the other locks are Luka, SD and DFS with the last player being either Brunson or Bullock.  We are making it work, but imagine if either of Maxi or Bullock could hit a three and frighten a defense a little.
[-] The following 2 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • mvossman, Smitty
Like Reply
(03-17-2022, 07:03 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: This is where I landed also.  It needed to be someone who played in the first four minutes of the fourth where we went on a 15-2 run to pull within one.  That is where we got back in the game and gave ourselves a shot for the heroic finish.  To me, it was either Brunson or Powell as both were excellent during that run.  But, you have to give it to Brunson for his overall game.

I'll put a couple of other game notes here.  We beat the second beast of the east in two games with Bullock away from the team.  I wouldn't sleep on the idea of him being part of the package for a player like Holmes.  Better contract than THJ and a good reputation as a perimeter defender.  I think Green is already a better defender.  I could see Green as a 20 minute starter next season.  THJ helps the O off the bench and some of the game we may play 3 PG's (assuming all 3 are still here).  So, the minutes for the starting SF might be fairly limited.  Obviously Bullock could fill that role and Green continue to come off the bench if THJ is traded.  I'm just pointing out that there are alternatives and we just won two big road games without either of Bullock or THJ.  

Brooklyn hunted Bertans in the 2nd and I think scored four buckets in a row on him.  Yet, he ended up +6 for the game because he was part of the early fourth lineup that made the big comeback.  He was REALLY bad in the second.  Don't know if this says more about the vagaries of +/- in small sample sizes or if it says Bertans has some crazy 3 point gravity that really helps in other places.

Dinwiddie has been absolute money in the fourth quarter of games.  I'd be interested to see his numbers for the first quarter.  He really gets off to slow starts and looks like a worse version of player Washington wanted to get rid of.     

It feels like we've settled into Maxi as the closing big.  Depending on the opponent, the other locks are Luka, SD and DFS with the last player being either Brunson or Bullock.  We are making it work, but imagine if either of Maxi or Bullock could hit a three and frighten a defense a little.

Our RealMVP Bertans Big Grin 

[Image: realmvp.png]
Like Reply
(03-17-2022, 07:03 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: This is where I landed also.  It needed to be someone who played in the first four minutes of the fourth where we went on a 15-2 run to pull within one.  That is where we got back in the game and gave ourselves a shot for the heroic finish.  To me, it was either Brunson or Powell as both were excellent during that run.  But, you have to give it to Brunson for his overall game.

I think Bullock is a big part of this post TDL success, for the simple fact that it allows you to start him in one of the wing spots and bring Dinwiddie off the bench. I think the Mavs are at their best with Brunson the starter and Dinwiddie the closer. I worry that if/when Brunson is back next year, contracts and BPA will force Kidd to stay with the Luka, SD, Brunson starting lineup and I'm not a fan. 

Luka seems to dominate the ball in the first quarter, so I'd even prefer Green to start over Dinwiddie, when Bullock is unavailable.
[-] The following 2 users Like Smitty's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, ItsGoTime
Like Reply
(03-17-2022, 07:44 AM)sefant Wrote: Our RealMVP Bertans Big Grin 

[Image: realmvp.png]

I know.  It is baffling.  The eye test would say this is 100% wrong...especially the D-Ratings.
[-] The following 2 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • MFFL, mvossman
Like Reply
(03-17-2022, 08:00 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I know.  It is baffling.  The eye test would say this is 100% wrong...especially the D-Ratings.

Yeah, I think it says more about small samples than anything else.  I believe WCS was our plus/minus king for weeks before it slowly corrected itself (the coaching staff corrected long before the on/off did).  I think the coaching staff is driving off the same eye test you are as he has been getting less than 10 minutes a game for a while.
Like Reply
Bertans is a plus on the court, even when missing all his shots. It’s consistently true. He’s the anti Drummond in so many ways. 

Green is absolutely killing it. I agree that he’s headed towards a starting position. Not sure we can start 2 guys with questionable deep balls (Powell and Green). But Green’s shot is promising, and Powell’s future as a starter is up in the air. So maybe.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jommybone's post:
  • Kammrath
Like Reply