Poll: Who will win the game? (Mavs 7.0 pt RAPTOR & 3.5 pt Vegas dogs)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Mavericks
53.85%
7 53.85%
Nuggets
46.15%
6 46.15%
Total 13 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 5: DAL (3-2) @ DEN (3-2) | 75-106 loss
I think this is much closer to what he should look like:

[Image: bc496c2a6b244e6cab087b214b2eacae.jpg?w=2...440&crop=1]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • ThisIStheYear
Like Reply
Loss is on Kidd for putting DP out there too long. 
Until Luka sheds the Fat Luka play, this team ain't going anywhere.
Like Reply
Somebody tell Luka, he doesn't have to worry about talks of him for the MVP.
At this point in time and until Luka sheds pounds, Ja Morant will win the MVP before him.
Like Reply
There are bad nights and then there is the night DFS had. It was like a rookie deer in the headlights only he got to keep playing. It would have been an act of mercy to bench him.
Like Reply
(10-29-2021, 10:03 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Mavs have a Luka problem IMO early in this season. Team is generally sucking with him playing and looks competitive when he sits. He was team worst -32.2 going into this game and is -19 already....team worst.

I completely agree.

Luka just doesnt seem to care about these games.  I guess he knows they are experimenting and it doesnt matter.

But damn...its a really really hard to watch product with Luka on the floor.   Extremely boring basketball.

He needs more talent around him no doubt.   He is extremely efficient no doubt.  He is proven gamer in the playoffs no doubt...

But damn the product is boring when he runs point.

I know its a Billion dollar business about winning...and Luka no doubt can help you win...but my Lord.

Seems like our second unit is has more pizazz...more ball movement.   Luka taking it to the hole for a kick out isnt doing it for me lol.   Save it for the playoffs when thats all you are given to work with.
Like Reply
(10-29-2021, 11:23 PM)Dova Wrote: Does Jason Kidd make it to the end of the season? Nico has his work cut out for him.

Well, there is a reason we have Igor and Dudley as assistants,  we were preparing for next coach just in case.
But it isn't happening anytime soon
Like Reply
2021/22 becomes a transitional year.  We audition Kidd/he tries.  "Now what?" says 2022/23.  Our sneaker GM may need to earn his money with the next hire.  One obvious name is the unproven/significantly maligned, newish coach of the Nets, S. Nash.  Could he be coaxed to leave the Nets mess to guide a team whose ownership dissed him years ago?  
Like Reply
(10-30-2021, 12:17 AM)Kammrath Wrote: I think this is much closer to what he should look like:

[Image: bc496c2a6b244e6cab087b214b2eacae.jpg?w=2...440&crop=1]

He has been great and even at times outstanding at defense, you don't become better on defense when you get out of shape, you always become worse. That is not the case with Luka, his defense has become better, yet another evidence he is in better shape now. That's one of the reasons the defense overall has improved. Lukas stamina is way better than before, this could not be more clear to me. He now doesn't take plays off on defense or offense and grasping for air. If we go back in time (to your picture above) and remember how many plays he would take off on defense, just because his stamina could not deal with the pace of the NBA. There were many times, in start of seasons and even later on, where he just couldn't run back on defense due to stamina issues.

Stamina, much improved. Strength, much improved as well compared to that image above, he is and looks a lot stronger now.

His shooting is way off and this is one reason for the less than usual output. Its one of reasons we as a team dont play our best. But the whole teams shoots bad, I wonder if this is coincidence or a coaching thing. The scheme is completely off. Compared to Brunson, that attacks and shoots and doesnt pass that much, Luka is trying to find the teammates constantly instead of attacking all the time, yet the angles and lanes are all wrong at this moment and it is clear watching the offense that the scheme, plays and movements are the issue.

We have seen moments where Luka simply got enough - to hell with this new scheme, I will play the "old way". That was third quarter in Houston or Toronto games, if i rememeber well, he completely took over the game then.

This is just Luka trying to fit his game within this new scheme and things are not working at all now. Its not only Luka but also rest of the team that has difficulty adjusting. We will see down the road if Luka is off, or of its the system. I believe we will get more clear picture for that later in the season. No doubt in my mind that Luka is a stronger, more fit, and more mature player this start of season. He is really struggling with his shooting at the moment like rest of the team. Based on that shooting, he is not playing well. He seems to be trying to make the new offense work but he also has moments where he forces things when that is not working out well and loosk frustrated.
[-] The following 1 user Likes burekemde's post:
  • ballsrchr
Like Reply
(10-30-2021, 07:49 AM)burekemde Wrote: He has been great and even at times outstanding at defense, you don't become better on defense when you get out of shape, you always become worse. That is not the case with Luka, his defense has become better, yet another evidence he is in better shape now. That's one of the reasons the defense overall has improved.

The team D....

Luka On: 112.2 (112.7 last year)

Luka Off: 82.7 (106.9 last year)

In 5 games there is no significant improvement on D when Luka is playing (+0.5)....there is a +24.2 improvement when he is sitting though. Luka's D is not what you are imagining it to be. As I have said elsewhere, he is moving his feet pretty decent in one-on-one situations, but D is WAY MORE than one-on-one situations. It is a constant five-on-five dance that requires constant effort that is NOT being given by Luka.
Like Reply
(10-30-2021, 07:53 AM)Kammrath Wrote: The team D....

Luka On: 112.2 (112.7 last year)

Luka Off: 82.7 (106.9 last year)

In 5 games there is no significant improvement on D when Luka is playing (+0.5)....there is a +24.2 improvement when he is sitting though. Luka's D is not what you are imagining it to be. As I have said elsewhere, he is moving his feet pretty decent in one-on-one situations, but D is WAY MORE than one-on-one situations. It is a constant five-on-five dance that requires constant effort that is NOT being given by Luka.

Those stats are also related to the entire team and not only Luka, and also on the offense, so that can't be used in this context. Just looking at games (i'm not a fan of stats as every stat has holes), he is a lot improved defender. Moves a lot better and doesn't take plays off.
Like Reply
(10-30-2021, 08:03 AM)burekemde Wrote: doesn't take plays off.

You and I are watching different games I guess.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid
Like Reply
(10-30-2021, 08:04 AM)Kammrath Wrote: You and I are watching different games I guess.

He (Luka) to me takes way fewer plays off than he did last seasons. I think we are watching different games yes. I do recall a play he took off yesterday, but no doubt in my mind that that number was significantly higher in the last seasons, especially at this early point in the beginning. That tendency seemed to drop as the season progressed and he came in better shape. Reason for better stamina now, is that he played a lot in the offseason this year and stayed in better physical shape.

I believe we should be critical of his shooting. And he should attack more and play less within the new scheme, if we want to win more.
Like Reply
Agree with @"Kammrath". Luka played lazy defense last night.

A few examples:

https://www.nba.com/stats/events/?GameEventID=257&GameID=0022100075&Season=2021-22&flag=1&title=Rivers%2024%27%203PT%20Jump%20Shot%20(3%20PTS)%20(Gordon%202%20AST)&sct=plot

First Luka falls asleep on the cut. He makes it even worse and cannot find the open man. Finishes it with a lazy closeout. Not even trying to contest the shot.

https://www.nba.com/stats/events/?GameEventID=279&GameID=0022100075&Season=2021-22&flag=1&title=Gordon%203%27%20Layup%20(8%20PTS)%20(Jokic%207%20AST)&sct=plot

Late rotation. If he comes over to help he needs to get between the basket and Gordon.

https://www.nba.com/stats/events/?GameEventID=234&GameID=0022100075&Season=2021-22&flag=1&title=Dozier%2024%27%203PT%20Jump%20Shot%20(3%20PTS)%20(Jokic%206%20AST)&sct=plot

I guess this one is up for debate. His positioning is right in line with Kidd´s new scheme. Staying closer to the rim. But he reacts late and isn´t going all out on the closeout.

https://www.nba.com/stats/events/?GameEventID=34&GameID=0022100075&Season=2021-22&flag=1&title=Porter%20Jr.%20Step%20Back%20Jump%20Shot%20(2%20PTS)&sct=plot

No excuse. Closest to the basket but he isn´t even trying to get back.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not saying that he is the sole problem on defense. It´s a team game and most of it comes down to the scheme/coaching. Still pretty obvious that Luka coasts on defense. And for all of his offensive genius. Lacks some awareness. Would even say fundamentals (positioning, close outs, not falling for fakes).
[-] The following 3 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid, Kammrath, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(10-30-2021, 08:24 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Not saying that he is the sole problem on defense. It´s a team game and most of it comes down to the scheme/coaching. Still pretty obvious that Luka coasts on defense. And for all of his offensive genius. Lacks some awareness. Would even say fundamentals (positioning, close outs, not falling for fakes).

These examples are all improper switching/rotation to other players. Has nothing to do with physical shape.

What I refer to is that he is not in worse physical shape than last season. Where examples of bad defense, was not able to come back in defense due to lack of stamina. We dont see that anymore. He has stamina than before.
Like Reply
(10-29-2021, 11:32 PM)cow Wrote: Kings are going to beat us down.

Kings seem to have their number.  Plus they added a great defender in Davion (Off Night) Mitchell.  Dallas better bring it.
Like Reply
(10-30-2021, 12:04 AM)burekemde Wrote: We are 3-2, but could have easy been 0-5. We have had slow starts to games even in the ones we won. We didn't deliver any decisive victory yet, that one reminiscent of that contending teams do deliver. The offense looks like a complete mess of a system. This can go either way. But key is reverting to doing things on offense that work. Sooner rather than later - it can get too late IMO.

The only other good team they played was Atlanta. So the record is about right.  They get the Kings and Heat next, two potential losses.
Like Reply