Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MAVERICKS 75, NUGGETS 106
MAVS HAMMERED IN MILE-HIGH CITY

The Nuggets kicked the Mavericks’ collective butts in no uncertain terms. Maybe we can ascribe it to Dallas’ being on the second night of a back-to-back, a mile in the air, with KP on the bench with back tightness. 

GAME NOTES

Porzingis (back) and S Brown (ankle) continued to be on the injured list. Jamal Murray was out for Denver. In KP’s absence, Kidd chose a starting lineup of Luka-THJ-Bullock-DFS-Powell, the same one he used in the Spurs game. 

FIRST QUARTER

Mavs open with a Hardaway steal and Bullock transition dunk. Denver traps Timmy and gets a steal and dunk of its own. Mavs having some trouble with turnovers here. 9-15 5:56. Mavs shooting very poorly again. 

Powell knocks Jokic down. Jokic gets a little nose plug and returns. 9-19 4:40. Mavs have missed their last seven shots. Yikes. 

Frank, Maxi and Brunson ride in to save the day. Frankie hits a corner three. Powell hits a trey!! Josh Green is in. Nice steal by Frankie earns him two free throws. 21-29 after one

Nuggets have nine turnovers and still lead by eight. How is that? Mavs shooting 27%, Denver 67%. 

SECOND QUARTER

Dallas on an 11-0 run, Denver timeout. 28-29 10:45.

Josh tries to take a charge, but ref doesn’t see it that way. Mavs take the lead! Briefly. THJ elbows Campazzo, who makes a meal of it. Review. Flagrant one. Kidd has a chat with the official. Denver on a 7-0 run. Timeout. 30-36 7:44.

Maxi breaks a 13-0 run by Denver. DFS picks up two fouls within a few seconds. Maxi blocks Jokic. 33-46 4:17. 17-3 Denver run. Why can’t the Mavs make their shots, dang it? They’re getting some good looks.

Nuggets feasting on second-chance points. Mavs can’t guard the rim at all. Jokic killing them. Maxi with a block and a transition and-one by Luka. Denver commits a technical. Luka takes and makes the free throw. Mavs earn the last 7 points of the quarter. 44-54 at the half

Mavs shooting 15-45. Ouch. Luka (4-12) leads with 11 points. Dallas out-rebounded 19-28, out-assisted 9-15. A 16-34 disadvantage in points in the paint. Doe-Doe, Bullock, and THJ combined for 8 points. They’re lucky to be only down 10. Devin Harris thinks they are suffering the effects of a back-to-back at altitude. I wouldn’t doubt it. 

THIRD QUARTER

Kleber replaces Bullock to begin the third. Good start with a Luka-Maxi alley oop. Jokic giving the ref an earful over calling him for his third foul. Now he knocks DP down. Four fouls. Timeout Denver. 46-54 11:16

Denver coaching challenge unsuccessful. They leave Jokic in with four. Jokic scores twice in the paint. Of course he does. Terrible stretch for the Mavs. Aaron Gordon over DFS. Luka turns the ball over. Timeout Dallas. 47-64 8:19. Brutal. 

Mavs twenty points behind. Bobi checks in. Gordon runs over Brunson. Brunson called for the foul. Kidd challenges. Unsuccessful. Jokic hits a three. This is so demoralizing. Denver just piling on at this point. Mavs can barely score at all. Will Barton knocks Boban down. Dang. Jokic taking a breather. Burke is in. Hits a three. Mavs just can’t stop anything at the rim. DFS just called for his fourth foul. Still hasn’t scored. 56-87 after three. These boys are getting their hind ends kicked into next week. 

FOURTH QUARTER

Mavs bring out Green, DFS, Frankie, Willie, and Burke. Burke running point. Moses comes in. Omoruyi enters the game. It’s all third-stringers out there now, on both teams. 

It’s all Denver now. 75-106. Yuck.

ANALYSIS

The score was within seven points early in the third quarter, but the Mavs underwent a spectacular collapse from that point on. Dallas was outplayed in every aspect of the game. Shooting 29%, to Denver’s 52%. 8-37 from three (22%). They did draw 27 free throw attempts, compared to Denver’s 13, so perhaps that is a small bright-ish spot. Outrebounded 36-51. Assists — Dallas 14, Denver 28. Twenty-two points in the paint, while the Nuggets had 50. 1 second-chance point. The team scored only 12 points in the third quarter. And so forth. Just a thoroughgoing beatdown. I can hardly stand it. 

PLAYER NOTES

DONCIC. The entire team played short minutes tonight, and Luka was on court the longest with 26. He was 16-6-4, on 5-18 shooting (1-4 from three). Not a great night from the 22-year-old, who was all but stifled in the paint. He was the picture of frustration, and seemed uncharacteristically hesitant. Kidd says he is not concerned with Luka’s shots not dropping tonight, but Luka and all the players have to get better. They have to maintain the discipline to not let their frustration affect their game. Luka took responsibility for the loss, admitting that he has to play “way better.”

DFS. Doe-Doe had a disappointing evening, with 2 points, no baskets, 0-7 shooting, 1 rebound, and 4 turnovers in 24 minutes. A humiliating line. He seemed to be playing hard. Not sure what the issues were. 

KLEBER. Maxi had a halfway decent outing, comparatively speaking, with 7 points (2-4), 2 boards, and a block in 23 minutes. He notably replaced Bullock to start the third quarter, and played starter minutes, but ultimately, no one was able to stop Denver’s potent paint attack and diversified offense. 

BULLOCK. Reggie got the nod for the starting lineup in KP’s absence, but was relatively invisible on the night, putting only 5 points and 2 rebounds up in 22 minutes. Not really making a case for himself as far as big minutes are concerned. 

HARDAWAY. Timmy had another bad game, with only 3 points (1-7) in 21 minutes. I don't remember whether he ever even got a good look. Pee-yew. 

POWELL. Dwight had the second-most points on the starting unit — 8 (2-4), including a triple, in 19 minutes. He really struggled on the defensive end. 

BENCH. Brunson had 4 points (2-8) and 3 assists in 19 minutes. Led a good run in the first half, but ultimately didn’t have the impact he did against the Spurs. Frankie had 7 points on 2-6 shooting. Green got a 16-minute runout. He didn’t score, but had 7 rebounds, and was the only Mav in positive figures (+10). Burke had 15 minutes of mostly garbage time, and was the second-leading scorer on the team with 11 points. Willie had 4 points and 1 board in 13 minutes. Omoruyi, Moses, and Bobi each had cameos, and combined for 8 points, 7 boards, and one assist, mostly after the game was out of reach. Kidd complimented Omoruyi, and said it was great to have those guys as an option. 

NUGGETS. Jokic, who was questionable to play before the game, was a monster, with 11 points, 16 boards, and 8 assists. Denver had 5 guys in double figures, led by Will Barton with 17 points. A statement game for them, perhaps.

OBSERVATIONS

Kidd could not think of any excuses for the embarrassing performance, and admitted that Denver was the better team tonight. He said the team had talked about the importance of getting off to a good start, but the team did not execute, and that pattern continued for the whole 48 minutes. 

I don’t doubt that the SEGABABA, the altitude, and the absence of KP all had an effect on the Mavs, who were sluggish on the night. I hope that was most or all of the problem. I was not surprised to see the Mavs have trouble guarding the paint, but it continues to confound me that they have so much trouble scoring. Credit Denver’s D, but Dallas did get quite a few good looks that they just bricked. They were SO outmatched. What has happened to our Mavs??!!

NEXT. The boys will face Harrison Barnes and the Kings on Sunday afternoon. No rest for the weary.
[-] The following 4 users Like mavsluvr's post:
  • audiosway, Dahlsim, dirkfansince1998, Paul Gasol
Like Reply
Thanks for the write up. Even though the Mavs and the game do not deserve it.

To add some trivia. Last time the Mavs scored less than 75pts. March 17, 2017. That´s pre DSJ draft.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/box...70PHI.html

Two members of the current starting five came of the bench. Powell and DFS. Other featured fan favorites. Salah Mejri, Nerlens Noel, Nicolas Brussino and starter Yogi Ferrell. Lead by the two tank commanders Barnes and Matthews.

On a side note: I watched nearly all Mavs games in the tanking seasons but I have no memory of Manny Harris. Him being on the Mavs has to be the ultimate trivia question.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • Paul Gasol
Like Reply
Any superstars in this draft? This looks like a lottery team. Struggling to beat scrub teams and getting blown out by all the decent teams. Confused

How good would trading Porzingis for Mo Bamba/ Gary Harris look right now. Cry

14 PPG
10 RPG
1.8 BPG
2.5 APG
40.7% 3 PT FG% on 4.5 attempts.

Classic Mavs. Never know, when to cut their losses. Mosley would have taken his buddy Porzingis and we´d have a legit center, plus capspace to spare.
Like Reply
Just really perplexed and don't know where to start.

So I will just mention something not related to the win/loss.  I think I am almost ready to move on from Josh Green.   And that is saying a lot for me.  I wasn't in favor of the pick but said he needed time and he has certain things he does that I like.   But man, he got a good amount of junk time last night and did nothing on offense.   Even Eugene comes in and can create for himself.   I feel like the ball is a hot potato to Green.   When he gets it, it is almost a race how soon he can get rid of it and run to the corner.   When he does drive, a rare occasion, he never looks to score and looks to pass.  In an awful game last night, I would liked to see him with the mindset that he is going to score and be aggressive instead of playing like he does.  Maybe he doesn't have it in him, but he has been a rough watch so far.
Like Reply
(10-30-2021, 07:31 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I think I am almost ready to move on from Josh Green

Ntilikina (at age 23) seems much more worth the investment than Green (about to turn 21) if you have to choose. At 21 I think Green is worth waiting on for another year, but if he has any value around the league I would strongly consider cashing in NOW.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(10-30-2021, 07:31 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Just really perplexed and don't know where to start.

So I will just mention something not related to the win/loss.  I think I am almost ready to move on from Josh Green.   And that is saying a lot for me.  I wasn't in favor of the pick but said he needed time and he has certain things he does that I like.   But man, he got a good amount of junk time last night and did nothing on offense.   Even Eugene comes in and can create for himself.   I feel like the ball is a hot potato to Green.   When he gets it, it is almost a race how soon he can get rid of it and run to the corner.   When he does drive, a rare occasion, he never looks to score and looks to pass.  In an awful game last night, I would liked to see him with the mindset that he is going to score and be aggressive instead of playing like he does.  Maybe he doesn't have it in him, but he has been a rough watch so far.

He just can't play (Josh Green). Lacking natural basketball instincts. He is a highly passive player. Never takes control of the plays, always letting others take charge. Is always is in the "background" and puts the energy in rebounding and movement, but all that is without natural instinct for the game. Bane and Bey have those pure natural instincts. Its not about body and wing span, but about whether you understand and have natural feel for the game. Not saying Green and physical ability is not an advantage, but if you cant play, you just cant play. Green has the body for the NBA, yes, but I havent seen yet any natural feel for the game from him, and he has had plenty of opportunities.

I was impressed by the new guy (Omoruyi). Now, he has some instincts! Dont know his upside and would really like that we play him more. But its clear, that he has some basketball IQ. Need more time playing and see how good he is and could become. He really was playing and was focused and he took charge. He was not passive at all.
Like Reply
(10-30-2021, 01:04 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: MAVS HAMMERED IN MILE-HIGH CITY

The Nuggets kicked the Mavericks’ collective butts in no uncertain terms. Maybe we can ascribe it to Dallas’ being on the second night of a back-to-back, a mile in the air, with KP on the bench with back tightness. 

A proven combination for NBA blowouts there, back-to-back in mile-high with a significant team Injury. 

FIRST QUARTER

... Mavs shooting 27%, Denver 67%. 

SECOND QUARTER

Mavs shooting 15-45. Ouch. Luka (4-12) leads with 11 points. Dallas out-rebounded 19-28, out-assisted 9-15. A 16-34 disadvantage in points in the paint. ....

THIRD QUARTER

... Mavs just can’t stop anything at the rim. DFS just called for his fourth foul. Still hasn’t scored. 56-87 after three. These boys are getting their hind ends kicked into next week. 

FOURTH QUARTER

... It’s all third-stringers out there now, on both teams. 

It’s all Denver now. 75-106. Yuck.

ANALYSIS

The score was within seven points early in the third quarter, but the Mavs underwent a spectacular collapse from that point on. Dallas was outplayed in every aspect of the game. Shooting 29%, to Denver’s 52%. 8-37 from three (22%). ... 

OBSERVATIONS

... the night. I hope that was most or all of the problem. I was not surprised to see the Mavs have trouble guarding the paint, but it continues to confound me that they have so much trouble scoring. Credit Denver’s D, but Dallas did get quite a few good looks that they just bricked. They were SO outmatched. What has happened to our Mavs??!!

NEXT. The boys will face Harrison Barnes and the Kings on Sunday afternoon. No rest for the weary.

Mama said there would be days like thisCry 

Going forward though, the Kidd Mavs post Carlisle-era, have to develop an offensive identity and chemistry that works for the personnel.    That's a work in progress, still early, definitely the thing to watch for.  

Will KP find his offensive advantages again as post-injury Unicorn KP?  
They may never work the same as they did for New York KP, so chasing that could be the problem. 
The 3 point game is fine and needed, but how about a go to move in the paint and close to the basket? 

A consistent hook shot or a baby hook shot with his length would be completely unguardable. 
He wouldn't even need a 2nd move.  Just ask a guy by the name of Kareem.  Exclamation
Like Reply
(10-30-2021, 09:37 AM)Dahlsim Wrote: Mama said there would be days like thisCry 

Going forward though, the Kidd Mavs post Carlisle-era, have to develop an offensive identity and chemistry that works for the personnel.    That's a work in progress, still early, definitely the thing to watch for.  

They may never work the same as they did for New York KP, so chasing that could be the problem. 
The 3 point game is fine and needed, but how about a go to move in the paint and close to the basket? 

A consistent hook shot or a baby hook shot with his length would be completely unguardable. 
He wouldn't even need a 2nd move.  Just ask a guy by the name of Kareem.  Exclamation

They probably get beat if KP were healthy.  Denver is a tough place to get a win.  I agree with you about KP getting a signature shot. If he played closer to the basket, if would benefit the team as they really don't have a viable low-post option.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HoosierDaddyKid's post:
  • Dahlsim
Like Reply
(10-30-2021, 07:31 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Just really perplexed and don't know where to start.

I don't know what's going on with Green in practices, but something not-so-favorable must be. You would expect a team's first-round pick to be given any benefit of the doubt in terms of sticking with him and giving him chances. Yet, two head coaches have deemed him not ready for developmental minutes, at least for now. 

I don't really buy that it's a matter of the coaches picking on him, or the team refusing to play youngsters, or whatever like excuses have been made for him. It's only his second year, and I am not necessarily advocating giving up on him, but I find it a tad discouraging that he hasn't earned those minutes.
[-] The following 2 users Like mavsluvr's post:
  • audiosway, Dahlsim
Like Reply
(10-30-2021, 09:37 AM)Dahlsim Wrote: Mama said there would be days like thisCry 

Mama said, Mama said . . .   LOL.   Love this!

Stein said recently that much of the Mavs' training camp was devoted to trying to figure out a way to get KP going. Maybe they can help him develop a go-to move, as you suggest. 

It seems to me that they might need to develop a plan 1B, as an alternative to KP, in any case. Five games in, he has already missed two matches. That in itself doesn't mean he'll miss any more. But with his history, you have to at least consider the likelihood of not being able to rely on him to even stay on the floor consistently. Plan 1B would probably mean developing two systems -- one with KP and one without. They have done something similar before -- different playing styles when Luka was on the court and when he was off. 

I would probably try to work on a back-up system even now. I don't like to borrow trouble, but sometimes discretion is the better part of valor.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mavsluvr's post:
  • Dahlsim
Like Reply
Speaking of which --

https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1454...29120?s=20
Like Reply
(10-30-2021, 07:37 AM)Kammrath Wrote: Ntilikina (at age 23) seems much more worth the investment than Green (about to turn 21) if you have to choose. At 21 I think Green is worth waiting on for another year, but if he has any value around the league I would strongly consider cashing in NOW.

Frank has been impressive.  Maybe it is early fools gold but he looks comfortable on the offensive end.  Josh Green continues to look lost on the offensive end.  When he plays with better teammates, he runs to the corner but no one looks for him because he can't shoot.  When he is playing with the end of the bench, he tends to hot potato the ball.  Pretty sure he air balled a floater in the lane and had two horrible turnovers when handling the ball.  On the plus side he rebounded with force.  After he couldn't get minutes with his Olympic team, that told me everything I needed to know.  Complete waste of a draft pick.
Like Reply
(10-30-2021, 12:25 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Stein said recently that much of the Mavs' training camp was devoted to trying to figure out a way to get KP going. Maybe they can help him develop a go-to move, as you suggest. 

It seems to me that they might need to develop a plan 1B, as an alternative to KP, in any case. ...

I would probably try to work on a back-up system even now. I don't like to borrow trouble, but sometimes discretion is the better part of valor.

For sure you must develop a backup plan to relying KP.  I take that as a given either way though.  Just don't see it as a very strong prospect compared to making something out of KP who you are essentially stuck with for now.  You need him to develop even to have a good chance to move away from him. 

The problem is that developing a backup plan to KP is almost like having a backup plan to Luka. 
You have to have it, but its not going to work for much more than bailing water on a sinking ship in terms of where your team is going to stack up. 

KP is the designated 2nd star even if he isn't there or doesn't play like it.  His roster spot holds the salary of that designated star position so the path to just replacing a star involves slim to none odds. 

Your odds are best if there is someone with elite talent on your roster that develops and blossoms. 
Think of Murray going down for the Nuggets.  Michael Porter Junior emerges as a blossoming elite talent.  Thanks to that and some good roster management, Denver is able to at least stay in range as high playoff quality team. 

Do the Mavericks have that potential star quality guy on the roster that has not just good but elite qualities? 
In my view, with all his flaws I see Boban has having the most elite natural advantages on the roster and the chances that he is used to fill that role are not slim and none, but just none for a variety of reasons we've discussed. 

Who else looks like a real star potential player for the KP backup plan?  If they don't find that guy then where will they get one, especially given that KP still holds the salary cap slot?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Dahlsim's post:
  • Paul Gasol
Like Reply
(10-30-2021, 09:47 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: They probably get beat if KP were healthy.  Denver is a tough place to get a win. 
With all the adverse conditions, I was prepared before the game for a loss, and would not have changed my thoughts about them over it. But this total collapse, and the inability (or unwillingness) to even compete. That, I wasn't expecting. Maybe I should have been.
Like Reply