Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over
(02-07-2022, 11:21 PM)mvossman Wrote: Total number of 3s is a strange way to assess value.  Based on that, THJ is a way better shooter than Seth Curry.

I'm mostly on your side of this debate (I think THJ and Hield are in the same league as shooters), but I'll chime in to say that when you listen to guys like Redick and Duncan Robinson talk about shooting, it's surprising how focused they are on how difficult it is to get enough shots off. The way the league is guarding the 3 point line these days, it takes an insane amount of effort for those pro shooters (not 3&D guys, but those who are literally on the court to find or create 8-10 threes per game) to constantly relocate and use screens to clear themselves up for clean looks. And, you need to be able to get the shot off ridiculously quickly after the catch. 

The Mavericks used to be focused on getting Hardaway as many looks as possible, and he was really coming along as that "run around screens off ball" type of shooter. This year, not so much. It's not even that he stopped hitting them, it's that they don't run that kind of offensive action anymore. The threes he has been bricking all year have been just plain-Jane catch and shoot opps, mostly. 

I said all that to say: if the Mavs weren't running that stuff for the shooter they have anymore, what makes us think they'd value someone else who does the same thing (Hield, Robinson, Huerter, etc) at the trade deadline? I don't think they're looking at things like that, personally. It's not their style anymore. 

Also, Hield has been on the trade market for (no joke) 3 years now. Doesn't really seem like anyone values him enough to pull the trigger. Maybe it's the defense, but idk...I have a feeling he's got a problem personality. Just like Schroeder, I just don't think there's much point to figuring out ways to get him here. Doesn't seem like the Mavs are interested.
[-] The following 4 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • burekemde, DanSchwartzgan, F Gump, michaeltex
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by Kammrath - 08-10-2021, 10:23 AM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL Feb 10, 2pm | JC & BS not likely to be moved - by KillerLeft - 02-07-2022, 11:33 PM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by KillerLeft - 02-10-2022, 03:21 PM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by TXBamanut - 02-10-2022, 03:23 PM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by KillerLeft - 02-10-2022, 03:23 PM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by TXBamanut - 02-10-2022, 03:35 PM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by TXBamanut - 02-10-2022, 05:48 PM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by SkenfromLMF - 02-10-2022, 05:46 PM