Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over
(01-27-2022, 10:00 PM)cow Wrote: I'd rather have Jalen than Fox. 

Now for some wild ass speculation on my part since the NBA loves tampering, New York tampering with Jalen would be extremely easy because of their relationship with his dad.  The question becomes how hard is it for the Knicks to clear the ~$15m (if the $20m+ rumor is true) off their cap next year to just outright sign Jalen?  And would that cap clearing exercise be less expensive than trading for him at the TDL?

FWIW, Jalen is rated more highly than Fox in EPM and LEBRON.  Brunson is the 21st ranked PG in both measures...basically the leader of the bottom third of starting PG's.  If you screen for O-EPM and O-LEBRON, it is 18th and 14th.

I think you make a great point about the cost to clear space in the summer versus the cost to acquire Brunson now.  I think we established that NY has a path to that kind of room by not picking up Gibson's NG and by trading Rose, their 2022 pick and one small contract.  It could be getting rid of Robinson's cap hold or it could be any of the lower salary guys...even former 36th pick McBride does it.  If I'm NY, that is my offer...Rose, Pick, McBride.   Dallas has to send back another player...any of Bullock, Maxi or Powell.  If I have to give that up for cap room anyway, why wouldn't I offer that.  Dallas can tinker around the edges...Walker instead of Rose or 23 instead of 22 and Dallas gets to pick the outgoing.  but that's it if I'm NY.

The problem is Rose and Walker can't stay healthy.  So, Dallas is less competitive in the current year.  That would be a risk worth taking if the pick led to something great and one of the lower salary guys had substantial upside.  But, unless we are talking Toppin, I'm not getting enough upside out of Quickley, McBride, Grimes, Reddish or Robinson.  I'd give up Maxi with JB if I was getting back Toppin, a PG and a pick.  I'd want to also swap Burke for McBride since the PG I'm getting...either Rose or Walker...isn't currently healthy.  That doesn't help us in the current season, but Toppin next to KP is a really good long term fit plus you can get to work with your picks.  

NY says NO?  Ok, lets negotiate through the media for a few weeks.
[-] The following 2 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • BackToSquareOne, Davemo
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by Kammrath - 08-10-2021, 10:23 AM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL: Feb 10, 2pm |Stein DAL see JB/DFS near untouchable, want creator - by DanSchwartzgan - 01-28-2022, 06:51 AM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by KillerLeft - 02-10-2022, 03:21 PM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by TXBamanut - 02-10-2022, 03:23 PM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by KillerLeft - 02-10-2022, 03:23 PM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by TXBamanut - 02-10-2022, 03:35 PM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by TXBamanut - 02-10-2022, 05:48 PM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by SkenfromLMF - 02-10-2022, 05:46 PM