Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over
(01-25-2022, 12:03 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I'm not expecting the Mavs to trade JB for an all-star, but rather that's the approach they should have. Creating cap space is always possible, but what teams are going to sign JB to a 4/80 deal and then also add whatever assets needed to move off the salary to create the cap space required to sign him to such a deal. Especially when the Mavs could just match that money out right?

Obviously that confidence is moot if JB really wants out of here, but I don't think he does. He's given nothing but love for Dallas and the team.

We know he wanted an expanded role coming into the season and a rumor of 4/80. Well JB is now the starter and 2nd ball handler. Role has been expanded. The money largely depends on how he plays in the playoffs. If he proves he can handle that pressure and the Mavs make it out of the first round he's more than worth 4/80. The other teams that can sign him to 4/80 right now are none. The Knicks would have to find a way ton of money (Either Randle gone. Fournier+Burks, Nerlens+Burks+Walker).

It's not that easy. And thats a lot for Jalen Brunson who while good, isn't an all-star player.

Being able to match doesn't matter much if he wants out.  He controls his destiny.  He also might be thinking about his next and what gives him the best opportunity to maximize his generational wealth.  JB is a good teammate, so of course he shows love for his teammates.  I don't think that gives us any clue as to his desire to want to be a Maverick long term or not.  And to put the shoe on the other foot, we don't really know if JB wants to be a Knick (family ties) or if the Knicks are willing to give JB all he wants.

Knicks have $119m committed for 2022 (5 to Taj who is non-guaranteed).  I don't think JB's getting $20m per, probably much closer to $15m.  Clearing an additional $10m wouldn't be difficult when you can work with Presti who only as around $40m committed.  There are many different ways to peel this potato.  

And all I'm saying is to take your final thought and apply that to potential JB trades.  He has value in a trade but that value is diminished by the nature of his contract.  

I'm also not trying to trade JB.  I'd be fine building around him and Luka.  I think that tandem's upside is pretty limited, but it might be the best you can do at the moment.  I'd much rather work on trading our own Knicks players.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by Kammrath - 08-10-2021, 10:23 AM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL: Feb 10, 2 pm |76ers want Harden| Magic to trade Ross or Harris - by cow - 01-25-2022, 12:21 PM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by KillerLeft - 02-10-2022, 03:21 PM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by TXBamanut - 02-10-2022, 03:23 PM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by KillerLeft - 02-10-2022, 03:23 PM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by TXBamanut - 02-10-2022, 03:35 PM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by TXBamanut - 02-10-2022, 05:48 PM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by SkenfromLMF - 02-10-2022, 05:46 PM