Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over
(01-24-2022, 11:50 PM)F Gump Wrote: Re alternatives mentioned from time to time, I think Grant isn't as good as his stats (player on very bad team, getting stats because someone will), but he also wants to be The Guy getting all the shots, somewhere. No thank you.

The guy I like a lot is Collins, who I think would be great here if you can get him. The contract would be tough to add, forcing MC to make a major commitment, but he's the guy imo. I wouldn't offer JB (who wouldn't be a good fit there anyhow) but could THJ-DFS-pick and eating a bad salary with the TPE get you close?

I tend to agree about Grant and Collins.  From an impact standpoint, Grant is not really much different than DFS.  He has a bit more creation ability, but isn't as good in other areas.  If you go that route, you are basically saying that the attack needs to be diversified some and you are willing to pay up for it and take a hit culturally.

I also agree Collins would be much better.  DFS would look good to Atlanta as he would fill the hole created by moving Hunter to PF.  I'm not sure what bad salary they have that fits the TPE.   To me, it is kind of difficult to make salary and value work on a simple deal for Collins.  DFS, Powell and S. Brown works, but Atlanta has no use for Powell.  Swapping out Maxi works, but now you are looking at really disruptive deal for Dallas.  Does Hardaway make sense on a team with B.Bog, Huerter and DFS already occupying wing spots?  Is he better than any of those guys.  I love the idea of Collins, but have a hard time getting there.

The Grant vs. Collins vs. Smart vs........ discussion got me to thinking.  What hole do we really have.  Here are the EPM and (O-EPM, D-EPM) percentiles for our current starters and select bench players:

KP      95 (94/83)
MK     69 (44/93)
DFS    78 (67/84)
JB      79 (89/36)
LD      94 (94/76)

Theoretically, we have enough O between KP, JB and Luka to carry Maxi's poor offensive contribution.  Similarly, we have enough D between KP, Maxi, DFS and even Luka to carry Brunson's poor defensive contribution.  The lineup makes sense except you don't get the full benefit of JB's offensive contribution when he plays alongside Luka.  Maxi's O could certainly be replaced, but anyone who replaces him will be competing with KP for touches.  Here is the bench:

DP     75 (74/68)
TH     61 (68/47)
RB     41 (29/71)
JG     55 (37/82)

Powell's O is better than Maxi's, but the fit with KP is better with Maxi.  Hardaway wouldn't be so bad if he was on a MLE contract or returned to some semblance of his former self (the last five seasons working backwards, his EPM's were 74, 87, 70, 81 and 84).  Green's D is the best on the bench and actually pretty similar to Finney-Smith's (sacrilege, I know).  Green is the long term solution at SF is you move DFS in a trade for someone like Collins.  Green is already better offensively than DFS was his first three seasons, so talk of cashing out DFS for a better Maxi makes sense at some level.  The question is can you improve on Maxi's offense without giving up much on D and without disrupting the rhythm KP is in right now.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by Kammrath - 08-10-2021, 10:23 AM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL: Feb 10, 2 pm |HOU might want WB for Wall?| BKN shopping Milsap - by DanSchwartzgan - 01-25-2022, 09:09 AM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by KillerLeft - 02-10-2022, 03:21 PM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by TXBamanut - 02-10-2022, 03:23 PM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by KillerLeft - 02-10-2022, 03:23 PM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by TXBamanut - 02-10-2022, 03:35 PM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by TXBamanut - 02-10-2022, 05:48 PM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by SkenfromLMF - 02-10-2022, 05:46 PM