Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over
(01-23-2022, 04:43 PM)cjeter24 Wrote: And this is the best argument for not trading JB or DFS... You risk having a significant talent downgrade unless it's a simultaneous deal. That's what makes the situation so tricky IMO because you clearly have something positive building. 

I lean to only trading Brunson unless DFS has unexpectedly high value. Covington was traded at the 2020 draft for 2 1sts just barely over a year ago.You'd think DFS so its very interesting what his value might be. 

Maybe there is a happy medium where you can get Kemba or Schroeder or some other PG that fits into the TPE that can score well and fill some of the void of losing Brunson. Perhaps replacement scoring PG plus some other small upgrade at the deadline elsewhere on the roster keeps the roster close to the current level and you cash on your assets at the draft or FA.

My FWIW take is that Brunson is a great contributor, for this team. He has a great BBIQ and makes the most out of his size and athleticism, but a lot of his success is playing off of Luka's gravity. No argument that he can play PG and be the distributor, but he can be disadvantaged by bigger defenders. If he stays, the Mavs will pay him as an important contributor for this team. I'm not sure he's as successful on just any other team. 

My question is, if DAL doesn't trade by Feb 10th, is that a commitment to paying JB this offseason? What about DFS?

As @"F Gump" said, maybe you sign them then work it out later. If their play stays at a high level, then they will certainly be tradeable assets come the 2023 TDL and the MBT can decide then whether to bear the financial burden or look for relief. IIRC, you only have to be under the cap on the last day of the season, correct? So you can go into next year as a tax team, but try and work your way out of it if the season goes sideways.
[-] The following 2 users Like michaeltex's post:
  • BackToSquareOne, Mapka
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by Kammrath - 08-10-2021, 10:23 AM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL: Feb 10, 2 pm |HOU might want WB for Wall?| BKN shopping Milsap - by michaeltex - 01-24-2022, 10:12 AM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by KillerLeft - 02-10-2022, 03:21 PM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by TXBamanut - 02-10-2022, 03:23 PM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by KillerLeft - 02-10-2022, 03:23 PM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by TXBamanut - 02-10-2022, 03:35 PM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by TXBamanut - 02-10-2022, 05:48 PM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by SkenfromLMF - 02-10-2022, 05:46 PM