Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over
(01-23-2022, 02:45 PM)omahen Wrote: I would definitely look to make a deal at TDL. Of course no guarantee it is possible, but I would look hard for it. I think we had two seasons of proof this team lacks talent and I think Kidd thinks that way too, based on his latest interview from a day or two ago (published on this board somewhere). I agree with Chicago that Mavs might only be one serious guy away. The question is if that guy needs to be a star or is it enough that he is a (very) good player. I think a (very) good player is enough. I also think Mavs don't have the assets for a star player at the TDL anyway. So I would continue hunting for that (very) good player.

As I have said before, PF is the weakest position. Maxi is a nice guy, but he is a role player. Also often injured. Out of the players listed, THJ is the obvious odd man out imho. Of course assuming that Brunson and DFS want to stay, which Mavs should know at this point. So I would try to use THJ and keep (most) of the rest. If Mavs think their contention window is now, than they have to keep as much of player talent as possible. Picks are the assets that should be used to incentivise teams. If they are to pay tax, it should at least be "good" tax for competing team. The five players above are not a contender team, imho. 

Very high end targets would be Collins or Simons. I doubt Mavs could get into them as they lack good players and serious assets.
Mid tier targets are Grant, Wood (not sure about the fit on defense). I was thinking about Harris, but his contract is just too big. I would pay the two first rounder price for Grant (or Green and 1 FRP, if Detroit could be convinced). 
Lower tier targets could be RoCo, Nance, Young. I wouldn't pay a FRP for any of them, they are not that good. More of a money saving move for Mavs than really lifting them to contender level. Their teams would want expiring contracts and assets, but I think there could be teams willing to take THJ contract for expiring contracts (New Orleans example I used a couple of days ago).

Another option you mentioned several times before is PJ Washington. Young, one more year on a cost controlled deal. Problem is, Charlotte has very little need to trade him. As I said he is cost controlled for one more year and they have his restricted status afterwards, so they can just as easily keep him and trade him any time in next season or even in the summer of 2024 in a SnT. The one need Charlotte really has is the center and Mavs don't really have anything decent to offer, unless we go into KP for Hayward and PJ discussions, which is not my goal at this point. One hope would be the thing New York did with Redish, who wanted a bigger opportunity he couldn't get in Atlanta. So the price in that case would be a FRP (we don't even need to offer salary back, since we have the TE). I kind of doubt Charlotte would accept 2027 FRP for PJ, though. Seems more like a draft night deal, unless Charlotte would be enamored with Green and a couple of second rounders.

I agree with a lot of this, but I am totally out on two firsts for Grant.  I think that guy is overrated.  Offensively he is a volume guy.  There are places where that makes sense (like Detroit), but when you already have Luka, KP and Brunson in the starting lineup, an inefficient volume scorer is not really what you are looking for.  I also think his defense is overrated.  He is long and athletic, and his versatility is useful, but his actual on court value has been basically average at every stop he has been.  Then you read stories about him wanting to be the number one option, and I just don't think he is going to be worth the cost.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by Kammrath - 08-10-2021, 10:23 AM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL: Feb 10, 2 pm |HOU might want WB for Wall?| BKN shopping Milsap - by mvossman - 01-23-2022, 11:34 PM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by KillerLeft - 02-10-2022, 03:21 PM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by TXBamanut - 02-10-2022, 03:23 PM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by KillerLeft - 02-10-2022, 03:23 PM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by TXBamanut - 02-10-2022, 03:35 PM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by TXBamanut - 02-10-2022, 05:48 PM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by SkenfromLMF - 02-10-2022, 05:46 PM