Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over
(01-23-2022, 09:53 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: For me, it would take one of the Knicks young prospects and a 2023 pick to get me to move Brunson.  Another prerequisite for trading JB is I would want to immediately turn my newfound freedom to trade picks into a star.  I like and value JB.  He does have some limitations and I'm also more concerned about losing him for nothing than most.  But, this isn't about JB to NY.  It is about JB to NY as a precursor to a bigger deal.    

My list of "prospects" starts with Toppin who is currently stuck behind Randle because they don't fit well together.  I love the Long Term fit with KP.  If you do that, then the picks for star deal needs to be for a ball-handling guard/wing.  I like Quickley and see him growing into a very good sixth man.  If you do that, then the picks for star deal can be for a big.  I wouldn't rule that out, but you have to tell me what the second deal is so I can check on the fit with KP.  I might put Reddish on this list of "prospects" based on upside, but he hasn't shown nearly as much as the other two yet.  Therefore, the backside of the deal has to be even better (note he and Simmons are Rich Paul guys...hmmm.  And, yes, there are ways to do this without aggregating Reddish).

THJ and Maxi get you to the money needed to match any star under $37.9mm and you can now trade up to 3 picks (22, 24 & 26) plus the pick swaps that have been included in recent trades for stars.  And now I've "given away" two sacred cows in JB and Maxi.  Of course, I've also gotten a "star" and a prospect from NY.  The question isn't what was given up.  The question is:

Is JB/Maxi/THJ plus two picks (net since you got back 2023) worth Toppin and (fill in the blank star)

Is JB/Maxi/ThJ plus two picks (net since you got back 2023) worth Quickley and (fill in the blank star)

If we are being objective, it is impossible to say yes or no until you know the name of the star and how they might fit with Luka and KP.

Kyrie and Toppin?

Siakam and Quickley?

Simmons and either?

Beal and Toppin?

Collins and Quickley (but you keep Maxi and one of the picks)?

Grant and Quickley (but you keep Maxi and only trade one pick)?

JB for 2 1st rounders from the Knicks including the 2023 pick is my favorite trade by far. I really don't care for any of their young guys. Give me their pick this year lottery protected of course. 

OF course you would love to trade them for a star immediately after but do to the time frame I think the most likely scenario would be hanging onto the picks and making a move at the draft...

If you do wait until the draft, you can trade 3 1st round picks with the deal I proposed. 22 NY 1st, the rights to 22 DAL pick, 2023 DAL 1st. heck you could even go give them a 2025 pick for a total of 4 1sts. Add in Josh Greenand I think you have an elite trade package that not many teams can match. The question is who and you have a narrow window to make that trade happen. But gives you lot more options than just hanging onto Brunson.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by Kammrath - 08-10-2021, 10:23 AM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL: Feb 10, 2 pm |HOU might want WB for Wall?| BKN shopping Milsap - by cjeter24 - 01-23-2022, 04:29 PM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by KillerLeft - 02-10-2022, 03:21 PM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by TXBamanut - 02-10-2022, 03:23 PM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by KillerLeft - 02-10-2022, 03:23 PM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by TXBamanut - 02-10-2022, 03:35 PM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by TXBamanut - 02-10-2022, 05:48 PM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by SkenfromLMF - 02-10-2022, 05:46 PM