Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over
(01-23-2022, 11:56 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Here's another way of looking at this.  If you wait until the summer, you either lose one or both of JB and DFS, or you have $120mm committed multi-year to this five-some.  Is that a championship group?  Oh, BTW, there is another $30mm (taking you to $150mm) committed to Powell, Maxi and Bullock (though none of those are long term deals).  Does this seem realistic?  If not, what needs to change and to your point, when?

$35.7    Luka
$33.8    KP
$19.6    THJ
$20.0    Brunson
$12.0    DFS

This is to not take anything away from talking trades, but I haven't really liked what I have seen as realistic trade options for either Jalen or DFS.  Now if there is one available, I would certainly explore a trade even if I was giving up a favorite.   With that being said, it is my opinion the Mavs can't run from the tax.   They can't reduce their talent because they fear the tax.  Mark may need to pay the tax for a year or two.   They can't let past failures cause more failures in the future.   As we stand now, I have both Jalen and DFS above Bullock, Hardaway, Powell and even Maxi in importance to this team.   

When Mark resigned Luka, it was also a message they are going to try to compete every year for a title.   To back off of that because of the tax tells me all I would need to know about this franchise.  I get the tax is a serious thing and should be avoided if possible.  But not if that means reducing your talent.   

I am a firm believer this team can compete:
1) Luka
2) KP-  TBD if he is a #2 for a team or our team
3) X-  Player to be determined.  This player may also be a sneaky #2 on this list as well.  
4) Jalen
5) DFS

Plus good depth off the bench.   How do they find that X over the next year or two while also keeping solid depth?
[-] The following 3 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • BackToSquareOne, KillerLeft, Mapka
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by Kammrath - 08-10-2021, 10:23 AM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL: Feb 10, 2 pm |HOU might want WB for Wall?| BKN shopping Milsap - by Chicagojk - 01-23-2022, 01:36 PM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by KillerLeft - 02-10-2022, 03:21 PM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by TXBamanut - 02-10-2022, 03:23 PM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by KillerLeft - 02-10-2022, 03:23 PM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by TXBamanut - 02-10-2022, 03:35 PM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by TXBamanut - 02-10-2022, 05:48 PM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by SkenfromLMF - 02-10-2022, 05:46 PM