Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over
(01-21-2022, 11:09 AM)F Gump Wrote: For all those wishing for Batum, he may be the wrong guy to wish for.

The reason he has such a great contract is that he decided he would ONLY sign with the Clipps, and that's all they could (or would) offer. The Mavs (and others) tried to sign him, presumably for much more (he was easily worth MLE money) and he had no interest.

If the Clipps would move him (and in the context, that seems like a big "if") and you trade for him, you get him for 2-3 months, then he's a free agent. Probably heads back to the Clipps, for whatever they will pay. He can pick whoever he wants.

I really wanted the Mavs to sign Batum in the summer, and felt he was just what they need. Still would be a great get, imo. But that is a dead end wish unless he wants to be here.

I don't think Batum is as diehard for the Clips as you're making it seem. Yes he took a slight discount to stay with them. I'm sure he also wanted to stay because 1) he wants to win a ring and a team with George and Kawhi is a pretty good place to do so. 2) They took a chance on him and helped revitalize his career.

Like you say if the Clips were to trade him, I think that would sour him a bit on returning. At least in my mind it would. Here he takes a discount and 6 months later they trade him to avoid tax penalties.

In any case, Batum would help the Mavs so much. Same with Ibaka. 2 long defenders that are a vet presence and know how to win. Both of them and Dragic would take the Mavs to the 2nd round easily.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by Kammrath - 08-10-2021, 10:23 AM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL: Feb 10, 2 pm |Nets say they will move Milsap | THT being shopped - by SleepingHero - 01-21-2022, 11:34 AM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by KillerLeft - 02-10-2022, 03:21 PM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by TXBamanut - 02-10-2022, 03:23 PM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by KillerLeft - 02-10-2022, 03:23 PM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by TXBamanut - 02-10-2022, 03:35 PM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by TXBamanut - 02-10-2022, 05:48 PM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by SkenfromLMF - 02-10-2022, 05:46 PM