Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over
(12-26-2021, 01:34 PM)mvossman Wrote: If you spend all of your assets on Grant and Hayward, and then let them walk in a year to avoid the tax, you have obviously made a terrible mistake.  I think you need to temper your desire to be "competitive" next year with a need to look at long term future.  The goal is not to be competitive now as much as its to be competitive in 25 onward (when Luka starts thinking about staying or leaving).

I think you should probably brace yourself for the likelihood that Cuban is not going to pay the tax next year.  It might have been different if they had a more productive offseason and looked like they were one piece away, but that did not happen.  With a terrible free agent pool, limited access to picks and virtually no assets with Brunson/DFS being UFA, they are very likely going to do a small reset to stay under the tax and prepare for making bigger moves in 2023.

I think it is very likely Mavs sit out TDL again other than some little cosmetic trade like Redick last season.

However, if I was GM and Grant (or someone similar) was a possibility, I pull the trigger. There is absolutely zero guarantee for me that someone good will be available in 2023, 2024 or whenever. I think last three seasons should give us that lesson. If there is one thing, you are really never out of assets. Lets say 2025 and 2027 are traded at TDL. You still have 2022 on draft night. 

If you are thinking about the reset, than it should be again done at TDL, imho. Determine which pieces are part of future and trade rest for assets and flexibility. I would also seriously consider a mini tank this season to maximize 2022 pick. 

(12-26-2021, 01:34 PM)mvossman Wrote: f you spend all of your assets on Grant and Hayward, and then let them walk in a year to avoid the tax, you have obviously made a terrible mistake.

Grant will likely command more money, but Haywards next contract will very likely be much cheaper. Same certainly goes for Powell and probably Kleber too.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by Kammrath - 08-10-2021, 10:23 AM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: Simmons out for mental health | Ayton "very unhappy" in PHX - by omahen - 12-26-2021, 01:48 PM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by KillerLeft - 02-10-2022, 03:21 PM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by TXBamanut - 02-10-2022, 03:23 PM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by KillerLeft - 02-10-2022, 03:23 PM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by TXBamanut - 02-10-2022, 03:35 PM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by TXBamanut - 02-10-2022, 05:48 PM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by SkenfromLMF - 02-10-2022, 05:46 PM