Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over
(11-10-2021, 07:00 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Can't help you then.  Milton and Reed were the 54th and 58th pick of their drafts.  Milton is UFA a year later than Brunson, so all you are doing is kicking the can on a significantly inferior player.  If he is the prize of this deal, you can find him or his equivalent every summer without sending out the potential sixth man of the year.  There is no point in locking yourself into Milton at the TDL when Brunson could be part of a much bigger deal in the summer where you have the ability to add in your 2022 pick (after it is made) and use the TPE (through 7/31)

There is nothing you can do if Brunson wants to go to Orlando and be a cellar dweller the rest of his career.  My bet is he doesn't want to do that.  Because of BYC, it will take a fairly significant deal to get him to any good team.  None of the teams you list intended to keep the players mentioned.  They just wanted something more than losing them for nothing.  That isn't the situation here.  Terry Rozier is probably a better example.  Harrison Barnes is another (the deal that brought him here).  No, Brunson isn't Kemba or Durant.  But, Dallas doesn't have to just give Brunson away to an over-the-cap contender for nothing.  Milton and Reed aren't much better than nothing.  This is basically the pipe dream of some writer on a homer Philly website.

Perhaps you overlooked, but I also had protected FRP involved, its not just Milton and Reed. Plus Burke dump. Speaking about my proposal, not the original one from the article. It is also not important which pick those players were, Brunson was 33, if that . Milton is putting up very solid numbers, to an extent actually similar as Brunson. Reed is not playing much, but I really like what I saw. Orlando in the Gordon trade got salary filler, future FRP and last year late FRP rookie Hamilton, who wasn't playing for Denver. One could say in general the price of solid half year rental players is a protected FRP and perhaps a young player. I struggle to see a case where an expiring was paid more. I struggle to see a case where SnT was paid more.

As I said, I think Dallas leverage is quite low, if Brunson wants out in the summer. Is there really so much of a difference if a player wants to leave or if a team wants him gone? Toronto certainly wanted to resign Lowry. They would love to keep him if he would like to stay, but he didn't want to. I guess Butler is same case - Philly would like to keep him but he wanted to go. 

I am not sure how Barnes case relates, as he was signed as a free agent, as far as I can see. Rozier was used as salary filler to facilitate Kemba trade and his main goal was to get paid, which he did. But he didn't get to pick where he wants to go. Do we have more examples like this? There is a possibility that Brunson outgoing contract is used in something bigger, but what is really the possibility of that to happen? A lot of things would have to go right. Brunson would have to play along, the team with the player we want would need to like Brunson or a third team would be involved. We also know that a pick is not worth a lot once it has been made - the time to trade 2022 draft pick trade is draft night, imho and the time for the Dallas move next offseason is draft night, imho. Hard cap also presents potential problem both to the team signing Brunson and to Dallas if the incoming player is a FA (SnT). 

My thinking was more in line with - ok, we get a decent replacement in Milton, a prospect in Reed and a pick to use in the all-in trade in the summer. Didn't cover all the numbers, but it would perhaps also allow Mavs to stay under the tax.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by Kammrath - 08-10-2021, 10:23 AM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: Simmons out for mental health | Ayton "very unhappy" in PHX - by omahen - 11-10-2021, 08:36 AM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by KillerLeft - 02-10-2022, 03:21 PM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by TXBamanut - 02-10-2022, 03:23 PM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by KillerLeft - 02-10-2022, 03:23 PM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by TXBamanut - 02-10-2022, 03:35 PM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by TXBamanut - 02-10-2022, 05:48 PM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by SkenfromLMF - 02-10-2022, 05:46 PM