Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over
(11-09-2021, 11:19 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: For the sake of discussion…

This feels like a discount to NAV.  Do we want to take any kind of a discount from a team that doesn’t have cap space this summer?  Let’s set Brunson at THJ money…$18mm.  Philly has no path.  Heck, BYC will make even a S&T difficult unless the trade is expanded significantly.

I haven’t studied this, but the teams Spotrac lists as having the most “practical space” this summer are Det, Orl, OKC, SA and Memphis.  Does Brunson really want to go to any of those?  Plus, they all have pretty good PG’s already (unless they want to send one back to us).  

Before we do something, I’d like to identify who the true threat is to steal Brunson rather than dwelling in the abstract fear that we might lose him for nothing.  Maybe there is something obvious that I’m not thinking of. Who besides Philly and NY have been mentioned as having interest?  Who besides the teams above have a shot at cap space?   The biggest concern I see is someone doing something unexpected (like OKC trading SGA for a player at another position and then using space for Brunson).  But, like I said, I haven’t spent much time studying this as I want to just pay Brunson and keep him (since it isn’t my money).

I disagree that this is a discount, if a player wants to go. Dallas leverage is low in this case, imho. As he is unrestricted, he is basically the one picking his team as no one will give anything serious for him unless he gives them commitment he will resign. There is also a player and agent relationship to consider. I think the possible value in summer will be even lower. Toronto, as one of recent examples, got Achiuwa to facilitate Lowry SnT. Minnesota got just Josh Richardson for Butler SnT. Bulls got a protected FRP and SRP for Markannen and he was restricted. NO got two role playing vets and a SRP for Ball. SA perhaps got the most in a FRP, 2 SRP and two vets for DeRozan. Neither of those deals is actually more than we are discussing in this theoretic Brunson to Philly deal while one could argue that players of considerable higher star status were involved.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by Kammrath - 08-10-2021, 10:23 AM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: Simmons out for mental health | Ayton "very unhappy" in PHX - by omahen - 11-10-2021, 01:52 AM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by KillerLeft - 02-10-2022, 03:21 PM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by TXBamanut - 02-10-2022, 03:23 PM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by KillerLeft - 02-10-2022, 03:23 PM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by TXBamanut - 02-10-2022, 03:35 PM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by TXBamanut - 02-10-2022, 05:48 PM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by SkenfromLMF - 02-10-2022, 05:46 PM