Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over
(10-29-2021, 06:12 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: You’re right that today his value is lowest ever. 

An expiring max contract has some positive trade value regardless of player. Attaching players and picks to KP can net us someone(s) else. KP is still a 20 something in a league with some desperate teams

Bottom line is he needs to go and has negative value to the Dallas Mavericks. We may have to wait till the summer. We can take it slow if needed and find the best deal

I am not convinced KP is and will not be an important championship piece for Mavs. I am also really disappointed in KP's skills and was expecting more, actually far more for that huge contract.

Nevertheless, all that being said, when/if used correctly, he can win games for the Mavs. And this is not hypothetical -  we have seen him do that before in many many games. We have seen 2 seasons ago when he is moving well and fit, that he can dominate as rim protector and that was key for winning. That was so important for the team and for outcome of games. On offense, we are trying a lot for him to become an offensive superstar, but the truth is that he doesn't have those natural offensive skills and most likely will not develop them. Its important to realise this, rather than keep trying something that doesn't work and inhibits the team performance. And annoys other players as well.

It is important to use his skills correctly. That is the key for any player. KP can shoot the 3, and stand in the corner and be a weapon like that. For the money, he should be able to do more than that offensively, yes. But, if he excels in defense, protects the rim, and shoots the 3, he can still be a huge factor for the success of this team, it is important not to forget thus. Even if he sits out more games in season than we all would hope for.

He has started again to show presence under the rim. I am really happy to see this. Blocking shots again. Same with Maxi. I have to say, that is really exciting for the prognosis of this season. I think when those two eventually start at C and PF (DP needs to be benched), then I think we will see Mavs perform much better than currently. The paint will be safe and that will make us much stronger.

Offensively playing KP and Maxi is having two guys in the corners shooting. They can't do one on one offense and be productive. So how could we get the diversity on offense with Maxi and KP, who else can enter the paint other than Luka? To me that answer is JB. So I would really like to see JB play together with KP and Maxi and Luka. This will put less pressure on KP and Maxi to do something inside and allow them to roam outside for the 3 pointer. While Luka and JB, and THJ to lesser extent, could take care of attacking the paint.

A skill from KP that is completely underestimated and underused, is his ability to cut to the rim from the weakside. We have seen this before (last season and two seasons ago) when Luka is on the strong side and throwing it up for KP cutting in from the weak side to the basket and making a dunk. He is a force here KP in these situations. Why this is not used more, I have really no idea. Its such an effective play that it could be a base play for the offense and the defenses would struggle containing this really. In this play KP can choose to stay in the weak side corner for the 3, or if covered well he can cut inside and Luka can toss it up to him from the strong side. Any big would struggle containing KP on the perimeter while also containing this dangerous cut to the basket inside. This would also allow him for an off ball screen if a big is on him, and letting him shoot an open 3. And if a small is on him, then he could do this cut to the basket from weak side.

It is plays like these that we need to find to get KP going offensively. The small things where his size and athleticism just outmatches most defenders. This is what needs to be done by design of plays.

It is NOT effective placing him in the post and asking him to do some skills, he just does not have and will most likely not gain soon. He is a player you draw plays for offensively. Not a player where you give him the ball and ask him to figure something out. You do that with Luka and JB. They can get the ball and make something happen without any play design. KP is not that offensive player.
[-] The following 1 user Likes burekemde's post:
  • ReunionMav
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by Kammrath - 08-10-2021, 10:23 AM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: Simmons suspended | Ayton "very unhappy" in PHX - by burekemde - 10-31-2021, 09:43 AM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by KillerLeft - 02-10-2022, 03:21 PM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by TXBamanut - 02-10-2022, 03:23 PM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by KillerLeft - 02-10-2022, 03:23 PM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by TXBamanut - 02-10-2022, 03:35 PM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by TXBamanut - 02-10-2022, 05:48 PM
RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - by SkenfromLMF - 02-10-2022, 05:46 PM