Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.2 Average
2019-20 Mavs News
I would say we have a top heavy team.   Tongue
Like Reply
(08-15-2020, 04:55 PM)Hypermav Wrote: I would say we have a top heavy team. Tongue

I would say that our top two rank in the top ten of top twos in the league (and certainly has the potential, given age and upside, to rocket into the top three), that our bench, when healthy, is certainly top ten, and that the rest of our starting lineup is, dead serious, bottom three in the league when compared to the healthy best-case scenarios of the other 29 teams.

Somebody please inform Cuban and Donnie that a starting lineup has five players, not two.
Like Reply
(08-15-2020, 05:24 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(08-15-2020, 04:55 PM)Hypermav Wrote: I would say we have a top heavy team.  Tongue

I would say that our top two rank in the top ten of top twos in the league (and certainly has the potential, given age and upside, to rocket into the top three), that our bench, when healthy, is certainly top ten, and that the rest of our starting lineup is, dead serious, bottom three in the league when compared to the healthy best-case scenarios of the other 29 teams.

Somebody please inform Cuban and Donnie that a starting lineup has five players, not two.

The Mavs #3-10 players are in the bottom 1/3 of the league as far as talent and the absolute worst of the playoff teams.
Like Reply
(08-15-2020, 07:16 PM)Playmaker Wrote:
(08-15-2020, 04:55 PM)Hypermav Wrote: I would say we have a top heavy team.  Tongue

The Mavs #3-10 players are in the bottom 1/3 of the league as far as talent and the absolute worst of the playoff teams.

Disagree. It´s really about the 3 remaining starters. We basically took 2-3 former bench players and inserted them in the starting five. Obviously they are outmatched against better players. But even worse they are missing in the bench unit.
JJB/Harris/DFS/Kleber/Powell was a top 3 bench last year. Harris retired. JJB looks like he needs to retire as well. Before his injury Powell was the starting center. DFS is the starting SF/PF. Kleber comes of the bench but nearly plays starter minutes. The Mavs are also missing Brunson who was growing into JJBs bench leader role. Curry is needed in the starting five. Wright never lived up to the expectations.

Would be huge if the Mavs could rebuild the 2018/19 bench next year. But that would require them to find at least two quality starters.

Brunson/Curry/x/Kleber/Powell is a really good bench. Would be a dream to move DFS back to the bench as well but that´s probably a pipe dream. If Powell isn´t the same player after the injury the Mavs still have Boban.
Like Reply
(08-15-2020, 07:40 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote:

Disagree. It´s really about the 3 remaining starters. We basically took 2-3 former bench players and inserted them in the starting five. Obviously they are outmatched against better players. But even worse they are missing in the bench unit.
JJB/Harris/DFS/Kleber/Powell was a top 3 bench last year. Harris retired. JJB looks like he needs to retire as well. Before his injury Powell was the starting center. DFS is the starting SF/PF. Kleber comes of the bench but nearly plays starter minutes. The Mavs are also missing Brunson who was growing into JJBs bench leader role. Curry is needed in the starting five. Wright never lived up to the expectations.

Would be huge if the Mavs could rebuild the 2018/19 bench next year. But that would require them to find at least two quality starters.

Brunson/Curry/x/Kleber/Powell is a really good bench. Would be a dream to move DFS back to the bench as well but that´s probably a pipe dream. If Powell isn´t the same player after the injury the Mavs still have Boban.

Please list the teams in the playoffs who the Mav's #3-10 are better than.  I can't think of one. 

As much as DFS is loved around here bc he is the only perimeter defender on the Mavs, he's slightly above average in that role.  And like you said should optimally be coming off the bench.
Like Reply
(08-15-2020, 08:13 PM)Playmaker Wrote:

Please list the teams in the playoffs who the Mav's #3-10 are better than.  I can't think of one. 

As much as DFS is loved around here bc he is the only perimeter defender on the Mavs, he's slightly above average in that role.  And like you said should optimally be coming off the bench.

The Mavs finished 7th in the western conference so it is pretty obvious that the overall talent isn´t as good compared to most playoff teams. That said. I think the Mavs #3-10 are better than Orlandos or Brooklyns. Healthy on par with the Blazers and Pacers. Maybe even the Jazz (better starters, terrible depth) and Rockets (even more top heavy, basically a 7-8 man rotation since the Capela trade) . Obviously better than some non playoff teams as well.
Like Reply
(08-15-2020, 04:55 PM)Hypermav Wrote: I would say we have a top heavy team. Tongue

I'm with Dirkfan on this. This isn't my take. I think that the Mavs, when healthy and starting Luka-THJ-DFS-Powell-KP, are reasonably good 6-10 - Brunson-Curry-Wright-Maxi-WCS, with Burke, Boban, JJB, and MKG in the deep bench (and Jackson not playing unless they want to lose for some reason). The problem is that 1) everyone in that bench ***is*** a bench player and has no business thrust into a starting role if you want this to be a playoff team, 2) Powell is paid like an NBA starter but isn't good enough to be one, and 3) THJ and DFS, with their respective shortcomings, are competitors for the 5th best starter on a contending team - you can survive if the other four starters are clearly better - but a horror if either one has to be the 3rd and 4th best, much less both.

In short, #3-#5 is the problem. The Mavs treated the 2019 offseason as if a team with playoff aspirations didn't need to have five competent starters. Pretty sorry for us to bag on Vlade. I know the Mavs have earned a lot of capital by going for Luka and KP when the opportunities arose, but there ought to be major national writeups about what a cataclysmic epic fail the 2019 offseason was for the Mavs. It takes having gotten Luka and KP to make it conceivably forgivable in the first place.
Like Reply
(08-15-2020, 08:25 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote:
(08-15-2020, 05:24 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I would say that our top two rank in the top ten of top twos in the league (and certainly has the potential, given age and upside, to rocket into the top three), that our bench, when healthy, is certainly top ten, and that the rest of our starting lineup is, dead serious, bottom three in the league when compared to the healthy best-case scenarios of the other 29 teams.

The Mavs finished 7th in the western conference so it is pretty obvious that the overall talent isn´t as good compared to most playoff teams. That said. I think the Mavs #3-10 are better than Orlandos or Brooklyns. Healthy on par with the Blazers and Pacers. Maybe even the Jazz (better starters, terrible depth) and Rockets (even more top heavy, basically a 7-8 man rotation since the Capela trade) . Obviously better than some non playoff teams as well.
Orlando's best players are Vuc and Issac after that Fournier is better than THJ. Gordon is better than of the Mavs players #3-10  then they also have T.Ross, Mo Bamba, Fultz and Augustin on the Bench (which is substantially better than the Mavs #3-10.  I don't see how the Mavs #3-10 is better than there's.

Brooklyn best players as of now not counting Durrant and Irving are Levert and then Dinwiddie (both substantially better than THJ).  But if we aren't including either one of those DAJ, Allen, Claxton, Krucus, Musa (those Bigs are better than the Mavs), T.Prince (argument could made he is better than THJ), J. Harris (better than Curry),, TL-Cabborot (watching him in the bubble, he would start on the Mavs ie better than DFS), and others.  Brooklyn's #3-10 is much better than the Mavs.

The Blazers and Pacers I won't go through the roster but check them out.

Lets keep it real its amazing Luka, KP and Rick have carried this team to the playoffs.  No one was expecting this at the beginning of season bc we knew that the rest of the roster was terrible to average at best.  

The thoughts about the season and the other players on the roster only changed after winning some games during the season no one expected.  But this roster has never been talented and needs a massive overhaul. Its like when LeBron carried that first Cleveland team to the finals.  Looking back on it it was how the hell did that happen.  It will be similar for the Mavs when we look back at this season. Luka has spoon fed these average to below average NBA role players wide open shoots. If they were anywhere else they would look and be much worse players. This system has and Lukas passing ability has carried this team making very average role players look better than they are. But lets not act like there is bunch of talent on this roster outside of Luka and KP.
Like Reply
(08-15-2020, 09:51 PM)Playmaker Wrote:
(08-15-2020, 07:16 PM)Playmaker Wrote: The Mavs #3-10 players are in the bottom 1/3 of the league as far as talent and the absolute worst of the playoff teams.

Orlando's best players are Vuc and Issac after that Fournier is better than THJ. Gordon is better than of the Mavs players #3-10  then they also have T.Ross, Mo Bamba, Fultz and Augustin on the Bench (which is substantially better than the Mavs #3-10.  I don't see how the Mavs #3-10 is better than there's.

Brooklyn best players as of now not counting Durrant and Irving are Levert and then Dinwiddie (both substantially better than THJ).  But if we aren't including either one of those DAJ, Allen, Claxton, Krucus, Musa (those Bigs are better than the Mavs), T.Prince (argument could made he is better than THJ), J. Harris (better than Curry),, TL-Cabborot (watching him in the bubble, he would start on the Mavs ie better than DFS), and others.  Brooklyn's #3-10 is much better than the Mavs.

Lets keep it real its amazing Luka, KP and Rick have carried this team to the playoffs.  No one was expecting this at the beginning of season bc we knew that the rest of the roster was terrible to average at best.

The thoughts about the season and the other players on the roster only changed after winning some games during the season no one expected.  But this roster has never been talented and needs a massive overhaul. Its like when LeBron carried that first Cleveland team to the finals.  Looking back on it it was the hell did he do that.  It will be similar for the Mavs when we look back at this season.

Wow...And I thought I am one of the more pessimistic posters on this board but you are taking it to another level.

Fournier is a slightly better version of THJ. Bad defense. Good shooting. Slightly better iso scorer. Gordon continues to be the among the most overrated players on this board. Not a good shooter. not a good inside scorer. Average defender (go ahead and look up the numbers). I will give you that both are probably slightly better than the Mavs #3 and #4.
The rest of Orlandos roster is way worse. Fultz vs Curry? No brainer. Maxi vs Bamba? Right now. Big gap. Augustin and Carter-Williams are barely NBA players. Fultz improved but can barely make his FTs and is useless without the ball.

Same for the Nets even if you include Irving and Durant. Dinwindie and Levert are nice players if you like volume scoring on low efficiency. Not so much if you want to win games. DAJ was horrible in Dallas and hasn´t improved this year. Same as usual. He chases rebounds and does not play any defense. Allen is probably slightly better than the Mavs bigs. Musa (37% FG) and Kurucs are scoring 5pts per game. Claxton has played in 12 NBA games so far. How in the world are they better than Maxi, Boban or a healthy Powell?
THJ has been really bad in the bubble and I have been on of his biggest critics but can we at least acknowledge that he had the best season of his career. Prince is a slightly better defender. Not a good one either. But way worse on offense. THJ 16pts/58% TS vs Prince 12 pts/50%TS.
TL-Cabborot played the best basketball of his career in the bubble and had some incredible shooting nights. His numbers are still not close to Currys or even Brunsons.

Is your entire opinion based on the Mavs mediocre performance in the bubble? Looking at the way you evaluate the players it looks like it. If that´s the case it might be a good idea to remind you of the early season.
Mavs had a starting five with a negative net rating. Doncic and KP struggled to find on court chemistry. The bench was winning games for the Mavs. Things obviously changed over the season and Brunsons and Powells injury hurt the bench unit. The starting five could compensate the loss of Powell because of KPs improvement. The bench lost Powell and also had to replace Curry or Kleber because one of them moved to the starting five.

In the other thread you can see a win projection from earlier in the season. Seems like a majority of posters predicted a playoff spot and a +0.500 record.
My thoughts about the season did not change at all. I expected 42-44 wins (Mavs were even better). Well...KPs improvement suprised me. I thought he would need at least a complete season but he is way ahead of schedule.
The Mavs have a lot of 6th-8th best player candidates that deserve minutes but lack real starters. Was the same all season long. Sometimes they overperformed. Sometimes (for example in the bubble) they struggled. Curry for example nearly averaged 20pts on 50/50/80 shooting splits in february and march and carried the scoring load for an injury-prone Doncic. THJ had hot stretches as well. Even a low minutes player like Boban contributed. He secured a win vs the Nuggets. Scoring a career high 31pts.

Acting like the entire supporting cast was terrible all season long is a joke. Overall they probably exceeded expectations.
Like Reply
(08-15-2020, 10:58 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote:
(08-15-2020, 09:51 PM)Playmaker Wrote:
(08-15-2020, 07:40 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Disagree. It´s really about the 3 remaining starters. We basically took 2-3 former bench players and inserted them in the starting five. Obviously they are outmatched against better players. But even worse they are missing in the bench unit.

The thoughts about the season and the other players on the roster only changed after winning some games during the season no one expected.  But this roster has never been talented and needs a massive overhaul. Its like when LeBron carried that first Cleveland team to the finals.  Looking back on it it was the hell did he do that.  It will be similar for the Mavs when we look back at this season.

Wow...And I thought I am one of the more pessimistic posters on this board but you are taking it to another level.

Fournier is a slightly better version of THJ. Bad defense. Good shooting. Slightly better iso scorer. Gordon continues to be the among the most overrated players on this board. Not a good shooter. not a good inside scorer. Average defender (go ahead and look up the numbers). I will give you that both are probably slightly better than the Mavs #3 and #4.
The rest of Orlandos roster is way worse. Fultz vs Curry? No brainer. Maxi vs Bamba? Right now. Big gap. Augustin and Carter-Williams are barely NBA players. Fultz improved but can barely make his FTs and is useless without the ball.

Same for the Nets even if you include Irving and Durant. Dinwindie and Levert are nice players if you like volume scoring on low efficiency. Not so much if you want to win games. DAJ was horrible in Dallas and hasn´t improved this year. Same as usual. He chases rebounds and does not play any defense. Allen is probably slightly better than the Mavs bigs. Musa (37% FG) and Kurucs are scoring 5pts per game. Claxton has played in 12 NBA games so far. How in the world are they better than Maxi, Boban or a healthy Powell?
THJ has been really bad in the bubble and I have been on of his biggest critics but can we at least acknowledge that he had the best season of his career. Prince is a slightly better defender. Not a good one either. But way worse on offense. THJ 16pts/58% TS vs Prince 12 pts/50%TS.
TL-Cabborot played the best basketball of his career in the bubble and had some incredible shooting nights. His numbers are still not close to Currys or even Brunsons.

Is your entire opinion based on the Mavs mediocre performance in the bubble? Looking at the way you evaluate the players it looks like it. If that´s the case it might be a good idea to remind you of the early season.
Mavs had a starting five with a negative net rating. Doncic and KP struggled to find on court chemistry. The bench was winning games for the Mavs. Things obviously changed over the season and Brunsons and Powells injury hurt the bench unit. The starting five could compensate the loss of Powell because of KPs improvement. The bench lost Powell and also had to replace Curry or Kleber because one of them moved to the starting five.

In the other thread you can see a win projection from earlier in the season. Seems like a majority of posters predicted a playoff spot and a +0.500 record.
My thoughts about the season did not change at all. I expected 42-44 wins (Mavs were even better). Well...KPs improvement suprised me. I thought he would need at least a complete season but he is way ahead of schedule.
The Mavs have a lot of 6th-8th best player candidates that deserve minutes but lack real starters. Was the same all season long. Sometimes they overperformed. Sometimes (for example in the bubble) they struggled. Curry for example nearly averaged 20pts on 50/50/80 shooting splits in february and march and carried the scoring load for an injury-prone Doncic. THJ had hot stretches as well. Even a low minutes player like Boban contributed. He secured a win vs the Nuggets. Scoring a career high 31pts.

Acting like the entire supporting cast was terrible all season long is a joke. Overall they probably exceeded expectations.
First, I like how you compared Fultz to Curry instead of Ross.  Ross is better than Curry, sorry.  Ross is their bench scorer much like Curry was the Mavs most of the season.  Also Bamba is much more talented than Maxi.  Is that a debatable? 

As for the Nets .."Volume Scoring on Low Efficiency".....isn't that what THJ is or was before this season?  While that may be true for those guys to some extent, both can create their own shot and play make of others.  Something THJ can't do.  Both of those guys are better than THJ.  Not one team in the NBA would take THJ over either one.  

Also while, DAJ hasn't changed since he played for the Mavs, his role has. The role he plays for Nets as bench guy or 5th starter adds value to the roster.  Musa, Kurcus, Allen are much more versatile defensively than Maxi, Boban and Powell and aren't being spon feed open looks offensively by Luka.  Put them on this roster and they would shine. 

The Last paragraph of your post we can agree on.  This Mavs team does lack true starting talent.
Like Reply
(08-16-2020, 12:18 AM)Playmaker Wrote: First, I like how you compared Fultz to Curry instead of Ross.  Ross is better than Curry, sorry.  Ross is their bench scorer much like Curry was the Mavs most of the season.  Also Bamba is much more talented than Maxi.  Is that a debatable? 

As for the Nets .."Volume Scoring on Low Efficiency".....isn't that what THJ is or was before this season?  While that may be true for those guys to some extent, both can create their own shot and play make of others.  Something THJ can't do.  Both of those guys are better than THJ.  Not one team in the NBA would take THJ over either one.  

Also while DAJ hasn't changed when he played for the Mavs, the for the role he plays for Nets as bench guy or 5th starter adds value to the roster.  Musa, Kurcus, Allen are much more versatile defensively than Maxi, Boban and Powell and aren't being spon feed open looks offensively by Luka.  Put them on this roster and they would shine. 

The Last paragraph of your post we can agree on.  This Mavs team does lack true starting talent.

Curry scores 12pts 50/45/82 splits 64% TS
Ross scores 15pts 40/35/85 splits 55% TS

Neither is a good defender but I guess Ross athleticism makes him easier to hide. Again. Ross scoring efficiency is below league average. Curry is the 2nd best non big in the league. 11th overall. Curyy is assisted on less of his FGs and 3s.

I probably would take Levert and Dinwindie over THJ but isn´t the reverse true as well. THJ could put up big numbers on bad teams. He also can be an efficient spot up shooter on a better team. I´d take both over him as well but it´s close.

Don´t see how any of the mentioned guys is a better defender than Kleber. Especially when it comes to versatility. I guess Allen is a rim protector but he lacks some mobility. Only advantage I see for the Nets bigs is rebounding. Mavs bigs can shoot or are at least skilled around the rim (Boban).

I don´t think people realize how bad the east is. The Nets and Magic are bad. Move them to the west and they probably don´t get an bubble invitation.
Like Reply
https://theathletic.com/2004134/2020/08/...its-worse/

If nuance just won’t work and the NBA must create another rule to fix this, why don’t they just use one that’s already in its official rulebook. Rule 12A, Section V, subsection (f) begins like this: “Assessment of a technical foul shall be avoided whenever and wherever possible.” That seems like a good start.
Like Reply
It really is horrible how our Mavs always seem to be the receiving end of these controversial calls. Why can’t we be the recipient just once?
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/mr_jasonjones/status...74277?s=20

Luka's agent is considered for GM?  Wonder why?

https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1295...94411?s=20
Like Reply
"There’s no truth to me joining an NBA organization. I’m fully committed to my clients and their success.”

If I am mean, this reads - I would never submit my clients to the horrors of Sacramento Smile 
Like Reply
(08-16-2020, 12:43 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote:
(08-16-2020, 12:18 AM)Playmaker Wrote: First, I like how you compared Fultz to Curry instead of Ross.  Ross is better than Curry, sorry.  Ross is their bench scorer much like Curry was the Mavs most of the season.  Also Bamba is much more talented than Maxi.  Is that a debatable? 

Also while DAJ hasn't changed when he played for the Mavs, the for the role he plays for Nets as bench guy or 5th starter adds value to the roster.  Musa, Kurcus, Allen are much more versatile defensively than Maxi, Boban and Powell and aren't being spon feed open looks offensively by Luka.  Put them on this roster and they would shine. 

Curry scores 12pts 50/45/82 splits 64% TS
Ross scores 15pts 40/35/85 splits 55% TS

Neither is a good defender but I guess Ross athleticism makes him easier to hide. Again. Ross scoring efficiency is below league average. Curry is the 2nd best non big in the league. 11th overall. Curyy is assisted on less of his FGs and 3s.

I probably would take Levert and Dinwindie over THJ but isn´t the reverse true as well. THJ could put up big numbers on bad teams. He also can be an efficient spot up shooter on a better team. I´d take both over him as well but it´s close.

Don´t see how any of the mentioned guys is a better defender than Kleber. Especially when it comes to versatility. I guess Allen is a rim protector but he lacks some mobility. Only advantage I see for the Nets bigs is rebounding. Mavs bigs can shoot or are at least skilled around the rim (Boban).

I don´t think people realize how bad the east is. The Nets and Magic are bad. Move them to the west and they probably don´t get an bubble invitation.

Do still think the Magic #3-10 are worse than the Mavs?  They beat the Bucks (#1seed) with Iwundu/Clark/Ennis/Birch playing good defense on Giannis and hitting open shots.  Magic didn't have Gordon, Bamba playing and still won with the role players stepping up while the Mavs had players like THJ and Seth making bone head plays down the stretch.

Also Fournier struggled the whole game and the Magic still won with role players stepping up.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1295...74946?s=20
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/MFollowill/status/12...7853889541

https://twitter.com/bobbykaralla/status/...4594335744
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(08-18-2020, 05:21 PM)JamesConway Wrote: https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1295...74946?s=20

I was wondering about Dwight and Jalen Brunson as well. Thanks, that was good to see. 

Our guys will totally take their time with him....just like KP.
This Reunion Rowdie says the AAC needs "Luka's Lunatics" for the Luka/KP and gang era.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/Mavs_FFL/status/1296...32832?s=20
Like Reply