Poll: How do you grade this signing?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
"A" - Bargain deal on a great player!
4.00%
2 4.00%
"B" - Good deal. This is what you have to pay for great shooters.
54.00%
27 54.00%
"C" - Slight overpay, but the fit and player are good.
28.00%
14 28.00%
"D" - There were better players and options, but the contract will be fine.
12.00%
6 12.00%
"F" - Big overpay on a terrible player!
2.00%
1 2.00%
Total 50 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
FA: Reggie Bullock to DAL for 3 yrs/$30.5M (using MLE)
(08-02-2021, 11:23 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: This isn't bad, but I would have rather overpaid Portis (back to the Bucks for dirt cheap, by far the biggest bargain of free agency so far)

Can't remember who tweeted it, but Portis turned down bigger offers from both the Mavs and the Heat to re-sign in Milwaukee.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
(08-02-2021, 11:33 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Not at all. Being critical isn't bad. It's not about a positive, negative dichotomy. You and M21 make great points, positive and negative all the time. 

But the angry, accusatory, repetitive, incoherent rants are not interesting,  helpful or enjoyable. 

There are lots of critical points made by others over the last several pages that are nothing like y'alls out of control, angry joint diatribe. 

Go back and read it for yourself. See if you like that you. You're not always like that.

I think I made my point and this is getting awefully close to a personal level so I will leave it at that.
Like Reply
(08-02-2021, 11:33 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Not at all. Being critical isn't bad. It's not about a positive, negative dichotomy. You and M21 make great points, positive and negative all the time. 

But the angry, accusatory, repetitive, incoherent rants are not interesting,  helpful or enjoyable. 

There are lots of critical points made by others over the last several pages that are nothing like y'alls out of control, angry joint diatribe. 

Go back and read it for yourself. See if you like that you. You're not always like that.

Got to give people some time to digest.  I can understand not enjoying the ebb and flow but I wouldn't say it has come close to toxic.

(08-02-2021, 11:23 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Late to the party here (as I said I would be). My first reaction to this news was "wrong Reggie," followed by, "why didn't they get at least one starter with all of their cap room?" 

This isn't bad, but I would have rather overpaid Portis (back to the Bucks for dirt cheap, by far the biggest bargain of free agency so far) than re-sign THJ. Then we would have had our starting lineup (with one glaringly remaining problem in the middle). Could have had Holmes for rather cheap as well. 

The more I think about this evening, the more I abominate the THJ re-sign. He. Is. A. Bench. Player. For. A. Luka. Led. Team. Period.

I think it's pretty terrible that we haven't gotten the final word on Dragic coming for Powell and change either. I think Ujiri is bending Nico over pretty good.

It was reported Portis wanted 15m+.  You cool with that?  Mavs did at least talk to him.
Like Reply
(08-03-2021, 12:02 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I think I made my point and this is getting awefully close to a personal level so I will leave it at that.

Ok, dirkfan. My bad for skewing personal. Sorry about that.
Like Reply
(08-03-2021, 12:07 AM)cow Wrote: Got to give people some time to digest.  I can understand not enjoying the ebb and flow but I wouldn't say it has come close to toxic.

It was reported Portis wanted 15m+.  You cool with that?  Mavs did at least talk to him.

He signed for 2/9. Gimme a break.
Like Reply
(08-03-2021, 12:16 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: He signed for 2/9. Gimme a break.

...and turned down bigger offers from both the Mavs and Heat to do so. 

He wanted to stay in Milwaukee. They tried!
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • cow
Like Reply
(08-03-2021, 12:16 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: He signed for 2/9. Gimme a break.

Right.  He wanted to be overpaid to leave the Bucks.  Mavs gave him an offer but if NBA Twitter was to be believed, he wanted north of 15m.
Like Reply
(08-03-2021, 12:22 AM)cow Wrote: Right.  He wanted to be overpaid to leave the Bucks.  Mavs gave him an offer but if NBA Twitter was to be believed, he wanted north of 15m.

Who knows, maybe they even offered that much?! My guess is that they offered him the full MLE before they went to Bullock, but we'll never know. Either way, seems like he really wanted to stay in Milwaukee. 

The Heat pried PJ Tucker away though - would anyone rather have had him than Bullock? That's the guy who was gettable, apparently.
Like Reply
(08-03-2021, 12:24 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Who knows, maybe they even offered that much?! My guess is that they offered him the full MLE before they went to Bullock, but we'll never know. Either way, seems like he really wanted to stay in Milwaukee. 

The Heat pried PJ Tucker away though - would anyone rather have had him than Bullock? That's the guy who was gettable, apparently.

I doubt we offered him much more than Bullock.  I want no part of Portis at 15m though.

Tell me what our final move is.  I'd lean towards Tucker but I don't think either is a bad signing.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
Back to Bullock. I think he starts. Dallas is going to get up a lot of threes and score a lot, in bunches. This is going to be a fun team to watch, especially if they're able to land Dragic.
Like Reply
(08-03-2021, 12:28 AM)vfromlmf Wrote: Back to Bullock. I think he starts. Dallas is going to get up a lot of threes and score a lot, in bunches. This is going to be a fun team to watch, especially if they're able to land Dragic.

Yeah, he'll start. I was just ignorant of his pedigree.
Like Reply
(08-03-2021, 12:24 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Who knows, maybe they even offered that much?! My guess is that they offered him the full MLE before they went to Bullock, but we'll never know. Either way, seems like he really wanted to stay in Milwaukee. 

No. Just too old. Can’t hold up more than a year.
Like Reply
(08-03-2021, 12:28 AM)vfromlmf Wrote: Back to Bullock. I think he starts. Dallas is going to get up a lot of threes and score a lot, in bunches. This is going to be a fun team to watch, especially if they're able to land Dragic.

Luka, Tim, Reggie, KP and DFS/Maxi (matchup dependent)?
Like Reply

Agree that he could start and that he has that capability, but I still think another PF is coming, personally. I don't see DFS/Bullock as the starting forwards. 

Are you saying he starts over DFS? I think that might happen, but I don't think I'd bet on it. DFS has played a ton of minutes and never gets hurt. He's a big part of the team.
Like Reply
Impossible to say who starts until the offseason is finished. It's possible a semi-big trade is coming and some of our current starters might not be here any more.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Branduil's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
4th season for Luka. Mavs still cant add great players around him. Still role after role player after another role player.... This is deeply worrying. Its clear Luka wants to win now and is ready to win now. Another season and another one where Luka will need to make miracles to advance to beat teams with two or three stars.
Like Reply
(08-02-2021, 10:34 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Tough luck. What a great community. If things don´t go as planned we just lower the expectations. And act like everything is fine. But when the shit hits the fan in the regular season or in the first round of the playoffs everyone is crying that Luka needs more help and the roster is terrible.
Negative posts aren´t the bad part. People changing their opinion each day is way worse. As @"Mavs2021"  pointed out. Cannot have a honest debate that way. One week ago free agency was a failure if the Mavs cannot add another starter and playmaker next to Luka (mind you that they can still do it via trade) and all of a sudden everything is fine even though they haven´t been able to add another legit top 5 rotation player.

So what is it: Are we patient enough for honest debate or do we have to render judgement now? Can we wait until the pieces are assembled, and not see the improvement in the interim, which is pieces around the starters?

There is a pretty significant piece that WANTS to come to Dallas and would be a top 5 rotation piece, or would it be unthinkable that there is some sort of success on that level?

For whatever reason the choice was to STAY OVER THE CAP. I am slightly disappointed that was the decision rather than adding Holmes, but there is hopefully a minimum of the Dragic trade to "justify" that decision, there is also the use of the Trade Exception (or MLE) to add another piece. I would also point out that there is another 60 day window where pieces added in trade can be aggregated - so it isn't just doom and gloom for the Toxic Nellies who happen to be the Vocal Minority blessed with volume, while they blast away at "People" but cry foul when they feel called out - even though they quoted the post originally.

There was nothing stated that warranted the quoted response on a personal level... other than a need to be toxic - congratulations!

https://memegenerator.net/instance/74974...-no-bounds
[-] The following 1 user Likes SkenfromLMF's post:
  • embellisher
Like Reply
I'm surprised no one else has pointed this out, but Bullock's starting number of 9.5M fits really nicely into JRich's TPE.

Perhaps when the Mavs submit all their contracts in the order they prefer the Mavs could turn this into a SnT where Bullock fills the TPE and the Mavs send the Knicks something else like Burke to create their own small TPE.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(08-03-2021, 03:02 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: I'm surprised no one else has pointed this out, but Bullock's starting number of 9.5M fits really nicely into JRich's TPE.

Perhaps when the Mavs submit all their contracts in the order they prefer the Mavs could turn this into a SnT where Bullock fills the TPE and the Mavs send the Knicks something else like Burke to create their own small TPE.

Pretty sure someone else floated the idea, NotSleepingHero.  Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(08-03-2021, 03:03 AM)cow Wrote: Pretty sure someone else floated the idea, NotSleepingHero.  Smile

It's funny because I just went to the Mavs News thread and saw the tweet detailing this exact scenario. Here I thought I finally had a clever original thought...

In any case, I still like the idea of preserving the Mavs MLE. Perhaps the Mavs can snag one or a combination of Kelly Oubre/Josh Hart/Kendrick Nunn/Rudy Gay/ Patty Mills with the MLE.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply