Poll: In or out on 3/90 Lowry?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
In
28.85%
15 28.85%
Out
71.15%
37 71.15%
Total 52 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
POLL: In or out on the Lowry pursuit?
So if Lowry is our target in a sign and trade so we can keep THJ and the mid level, I wonder if there is something that can be worked out with NY. Dallas sends JRich to a team with cap space or TPE, Powell and Brunson to New York’s cap space with Robinson coming back to us. New York has to eat Powell to get Brunson since Brunson value is higher than Robinson. We get an additional front court player to go along with KP and Maxi and still keep a good young player on the roster.
Like Reply
Completely out. He's too old and too expensive.
Like Reply
Didnt think anything could make me look in Dinwiddie's direction...

But here I am
Like Reply
Don’t like Lowry at the price. Not sure he’ll live up to that value for even year 1. If KP is gone and we end up with another impact player though the offseason might still be ok, but I don’t like this deal in a vacuum.
Like Reply
(07-28-2021, 03:12 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: That's why I laid out the issues in the initial post. Presuming he's going to be brought in by sign-and-trade. I don't think it's possible to get the third year lightly guaranteed given the Pels' competition. So it goes back to, are you in, or out given those circumstances?

What I outlined aligned with every detail you specified. It is a "3 year, $90M" contract, and it is sign-and-trade. It fits all the CBA legalities.

As for what NO is offering, or what it might take to land Lowry, who knows. However, the fact that it's going to be via sign-and-trade (presumably) shouldn't impact what Lowry thinks of the offer.

As for whether I'm in or not, it depends on the details. I'm way in, if the trade cost is a Powell-Richardson package.
[-] The following 2 users Like F Gump's post:
  • fifteenth, KillerLeft
Like Reply
Seen a few Raptor fans that are interested in Powell. He's a bit of a hometown hero to em and they have absolutely nothing at center. Might be a way to shed Powell finally.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jakeospikez's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
Right idea. Wrong player.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ThisIStheYear's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
I'm going to answer the poll assuming that the details are similar to what @"F Gump" laid out and say yes.
Like Reply
(07-28-2021, 05:01 PM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Right idea. Wrong player.

More please.
Like Reply
(07-28-2021, 02:12 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Yeah. 2 years $40M is what I think he is worth.

You would never be able to sign a free agent. You’d be worse than Hollinger. Pricing is determined by the market - not a metric.
[-] The following 1 user Likes VintagePejav2's post:
  • Jommybone
Like Reply
(07-28-2021, 05:03 PM)fifteenth Wrote: I'm going to answer the poll assuming that the details are similar to what @"F Gump" laid out and say yes.

Bingo. And for the record, I am all in on this. If it comes to fruition and Luka/Lowry are in the conference finals, I will be back here for the doubters.  Wink
Like Reply
(07-28-2021, 07:52 PM)VintagePejav2 Wrote: Bingo. And for the record, I am all in on this. If it comes to fruition and Luka/Lowry are in the conference finals, I will be back here for the doubters.  Wink

I think most here would…just don’t tell 2021.  He didn’t like this Powell/JRich idea when I posted it this morning.  Hilarious was the word he used at any suggestion Toronto would do a deal like that.  To me the full MLE is the key here.  The only real change you are making is a Lowry for JRich swap (obvious improvement) and using the Full MLE to replace Powell (probably improvement).

Your big rotation is KP/Maxi/WCS (presumably) with DFS potentially getting minutes at the four also.  The question to me would be are you using the MLE on a bigger/bulkier guy or more of a 4/3 or 3/4 like Batum?
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • VintagePejav2
Like Reply
If it's a 3-year deal, I don't think Lowry is here for the 3rd year. In 2023 he would be a massive expiring, and the Mavs would have all their picks available.
[-] The following 2 users Like Branduil's post:
  • KillerLeft, VintagePejav2
Like Reply
(07-28-2021, 08:10 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I think most here would…just don’t tell 2021.  He didn’t like this Powell/JRich idea when I posted it this morning.  Hilarious was the word he used at any suggestion Toronto would do a deal like that.  To me the full MLE is the key here.  The only real change you are making is a Lowry for JRich swap (obvious improvement) and using the Full MLE to replace Powell (probably improvement).

Your big rotation is KP/Maxi/WCS (presumably) with DFS potentially getting minutes at the four also.  The question to me would be are you using the MLE on a bigger/bulkier guy or more of a 4/3 or 3/4 like Batum?

I think I go with the 3/4 wing for the MLE and big with the BAE. Supposedly Jeremías Engelmann (the new head analytics voice in the room) is a big fan of Otto Porter Jr. (and THJ for that matter).

Raptors fans (key word) seem to really like Dwight Powell, he started at C for the CAN national team. And J-Rich is an expiring at around mid-level salary that could fit into a lot of different mid-season trades.
Like Reply
(07-28-2021, 07:52 PM)VintagePejav2 Wrote: Bingo. And for the record, I am all in on this. If it comes to fruition and Luka/Lowry are in the conference finals, I will be back here for the doubters.  Wink

Why? Most of us have agreed that Lowry would probably be a short term upgrade. The argument against is that due to his age he will be worse in 2023 and even worse in 2024, and at $30 million a year the team won't be able to due anything to offset that decline. So you get conference finals in 2022 and two wasted years of prime Luca instead of building towards multiple championships.
Like Reply
(07-28-2021, 09:05 PM)Arioch Wrote: Why? Most of us have agreed that Lowry would probably be a short term upgrade. The argument against is that due to his age he will be worse in 2023 and even worse in 2024, and at $30 million a year the team won't be able to due anything to offset that decline. So you get conference finals in 2022 and two wasted years of prime Luca instead of building towards multiple championships.

Let’s just see what happens. I love this idea that somehow the Mavs are losing out on the chance to build “towards multiple championships,” but you’re not even going to detail how that would happen as an alternative to signing Lowry. Also why are we arbitrarily deciding that Lowry will be washed after next season? This place is weird sometimes.
[-] The following 1 user Likes VintagePejav2's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
I finally weighed in on this after much thought and reading others thoughts. I’m out on this deal because I’d rather have Ball at a max contract(isn’t that less than $30M?) than Lowry at $30M. I wonder if the teams that Ball is interested in are interested in him that much (if indeed we would even have to go that high for him for those teams to be out)?

The idea of Lowry for Powell and JRich is stomachable for that contract. Wonder if we could do something similar with NO? Maybe Kleber instead of Powell who would be a better fit next to Zion? Of course I would prefer Powell. That honeymoon certainly appears to be over there in NO, doesn’t seem like it would take much to be rid of him. 

Plus, this has the “added benefit” of bowing out of the Lowry race and not upping their bid for his services! That would for sure take some balls to pull off for a new GM!
Like Reply
I don't like Kyle Lowry at all, he's half washed, half never was very good.  I am all the way out on spending usefull players or cap space on him.
Like Reply
(07-28-2021, 09:18 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I’m out on this deal because I’d rather have Ball at a max contract(isn’t that less than $30M?) than Lowry at $30M.

Fine, but this assumes that both options are available. 

I think Ball is already done, basically. Same as Collins. Same as Kawhi. Same as Conley. We obviously don't know, but it seems harsh to criticize the team for moves they don't make since we have no idea whether or not those moves were even the remotest of possibilities in reality. This is why I can't believe we're still talking about Brogdon, years later.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • omahen, VintagePejav2
Like Reply
(07-28-2021, 09:52 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Fine, but this assumes that both options are available. 

I think Ball is already done, basically. Same as Collins. Same as Kawhi. Same as Conley. We obviously don't know, but it seems harsh to criticize the team for moves they don't make since we have no idea whether or not those moves were even the remotest of possibilities in reality. This is why I can't believe we're still talking about Brogdon, years later.
I won’t discount this idea at all. It’s a good thought. Might depend on what he signs for though. If he signs for $20M, I’d have to believe we didn’t offer him a max contract to come here based on years of data that says players wouldn’t turn down that big of a difference in money at the beginning of their careers.

Seeing the evidence of tampering all over the place, that is why I believe you might be right though.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply