Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4 Average
2021-2022 ROSTER TALK: [ARCHIVED]
(01-19-2022, 12:08 AM)RedFlag41 Wrote: Moses Brown is not slow. He is pretty fast for his size especially in fastbreak situations. And I enjoy watching him catch passes unlike WCS.

You should watch him play defense a little. He’s not Boban slow, but he is on his way.

He’s way slower than Porziņģis when it comes to moving his feet on defense, and KP’s slow feet drive me crazy as it is.
Like Reply
(01-19-2022, 12:05 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: If WCS played that hard he’d be a starter somewhere.

"Thank God he didn't!" - Marquese Chriss
[-] The following 2 users Like Jmaciscool's post:
  • KillerLeft, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(01-19-2022, 12:06 AM)fifteenth Wrote: Yep. I agree with all that.

What do we do now?

Start a semantic discussion about the correct use of prospect and project. Come up with a definition and give future generations the tools to avoid a repeat of the last few posts.
[-] The following 3 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • Jmaciscool, KillerLeft, Paul Gasol
Like Reply
(01-19-2022, 12:14 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Start a semantic discussion about the correct use of prospect and project. Come up with a definition and give future generations the tools to avoid a repeat of the last few posts.

The Mavs Forum method! LOVE IT!
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • Jmaciscool
Like Reply
I think Moses Brown's issue is not speed but footwork, discipline, and awareness on defense.
[-] The following 5 users Like RedFlag41's post:
  • BackToSquareOne, ballsrchr, DanSchwartzgan, KillerLeft, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(01-19-2022, 12:16 AM)RedFlag41 Wrote: I think Moses Brown's issue is not speed but footwork, discipline, and awareness on defense.

I agree with all of that, and I think his straight line speed is good, for now. But, part of “footwork” is having feet quick enough to do the work. 

Reasonable people can disagree, but that guy looks to me like he’s going to be a statue in the half court by about age 26.
Like Reply
(01-19-2022, 12:14 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Start a semantic discussion about the correct use of prospect and project. Come up with a definition and give future generations the tools to avoid a repeat of the last few posts.

Alrighty then,

I set the line at 33%. Over 33% probability of becoming a rotation player is a prospect, and 33% and under is a project. 

What say you?
Not very astute ^^^^
[-] The following 1 user Likes fifteenth's post:
  • dirkfansince1998
Like Reply
(01-19-2022, 12:18 AM)fifteenth Wrote: Alrighty then,

I set the line at 33%. Over 33% probability of becoming a rotation player is a prospect, and 33% and under is a project. 

What say you?

I think this is going to be more complicated than I expected. Maybe we should start with a definition for rotation player Tongue .
Brown played in 25/44 games but when the team is fully healthy he probably isn´t in the rotation. He even started in one game. Stll wouldn´t call him a rotation player.

Your numbers make sense. Which brings us back to the individual player evaluation. I don´t think we will be able to settle this debate because people will continue to disagree about the probability percentage of individual players.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
(01-19-2022, 12:28 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I don´t think we will be able to settle this debate

You’re going to let that stop you? 

If we are going to start backing out of debates about trivial minutia just because they are pointless and impossible to reconcile what the hell does any of this even mean?
[-] The following 3 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • DallasMaverick, dirkfansince1998, fifteenth
Like Reply
(01-19-2022, 12:28 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I think this is going to be more complicated than I expected. Maybe we should start with a definition for rotation player Tongue .
Brown played in 25/44 games but when the team is fully healthy he probably isn´t in the rotation. He even started in one game. Stll wouldn´t call him a rotation player.

Your numbers make sense. Which brings us back to the individual player evaluation. I don´t think we will be able to settle this debate because people will continue to disagree about the probability percentage of individual players.

Too many layers of complete subjectivity. Speaking of probabilities, have you ever checked out PBS Space Time? Do you like physics or cosmology? I saw a really cool  video about multiverse that I can't stop.thinking about.
Not very astute ^^^^
[-] The following 1 user Likes fifteenth's post:
  • dirkfansince1998
Like Reply
(01-19-2022, 12:35 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: You’re going to let that stop you? 

If we are going to start backing out of debates about trivial minutia just because they are pointless and impossible to reconcile what the hell does any of this even mean?

It´s the burden of a genius to ponder the great questions of life but even in our wisdom we have to stay humble and realize that in some cases the right answer was never an option. It was always about the right question.
[-] The following 3 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • fifteenth, KillerLeft, Smitty
Like Reply
(01-18-2022, 11:30 PM)Omega_Supreme Wrote: How about something like this 

KP + Maxi + Moses Brown future 1st to Atlanta 

Clint Capella + John Collins to Dallas 

Or a 3 way trade of: 

Indiana Receives - Gordon Hayward, THJ, Dwight Powell + PJ Washington + picks 
Dallas Receives - Miles Turner, Domantas Sabonis + Jeremy Lamb (Trade Exception) 
Charlotte Receives - KP, Caris Lavert, Maxi Kleber 

I Can make the money work with all of these trades

I think I read that Capella is near untouchable.  I doubt KP + Maxi would enough to move them off that stance.

That would take a lot of picks to make KP+Maxi+Powell+THJ worth Turner+Sabonis, unless we are accounting for Turner being out long term with a foot injury?  I think Sabonis is going to be crazy expensive to pry away and I don't think he really fits what Kidd is trying to do defensively.
Like Reply
(01-19-2022, 12:37 AM)fifteenth Wrote: Too many layers of complete subjectivity. Speaking of probabilities, have you ever checked out PBS Space Time? Do you like physics or cosmology? I saw a really cool  video about multiverse that I can't stop.thinking about.

Always up for topics like this. Recently watched a video about the big bang and the infinite monkey theorem.
Like Reply
(01-19-2022, 12:47 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Always up for topics like this. Recently watched a video about the big bang and the infinite monkey theorem.

Ok. Well. Now I know what I'll be watching tomorrow.
Not very astute ^^^^
Like Reply
(01-19-2022, 12:16 AM)RedFlag41 Wrote: I think Moses Brown's issue is not speed but footwork, discipline, and awareness on defense.

Agreed…..and I’ll add one more thing. He’s paper thin which prevents him from regularly finishing at the rim and from consistently being in good defensive/rebounding position.
“BE CURIOUS, NOT JUDGMENTAL…”
[-] The following 1 user Likes OBX Maverick's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
(01-19-2022, 12:18 AM)fifteenth Wrote: Alrighty then,

What say you?

I don't think this has to do with probability.
A prospect is a player, that already has the skills and the body and just needs experience and finishing.
A project is someone with high ceiling but few skill yet.
[-] The following 3 users Like Mapka's post:
  • Arioch, ballsrchr, fifteenth
Like Reply
(01-19-2022, 02:14 AM)OBX Maverick Wrote:  
Agreed…..and I’ll add one more thing. He’s paper thin which prevents him from regularly finishing at the rim and from consistently being in good defensive/rebounding position.

Moses literally tries to dunk every single shot. I've always joked about a big just doing that everytime, but now actually seeing it in action I see how dumb it is. 

I like his aggression but his lack of awareness makes me think he can't be anything better than a 3rd string guy. I'm more than fine using him in a trade.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • burekemde
Like Reply
One of the more interesting questions I have for the roster talk is how many and which decisions last summer you think Nico influenced/made. He came into the job like 3-4 weeks before the start of free agency. We all know the tampering starts way before that. It impacts how Nico views the overall roster and some pieces specifically.

My assumption is that the framework for the THJ, WCS, Boban extensions was done before Nico even arrived. Therefore it was more a Cuban decision, which increases the likelihood of a THJ trade. 

I also lean toward Bullock being agreed upon before Nico came on board. The signing was immediate, but the size of the contract could also indicate a quick trigger offer that Bullock simply could not refuse. The partial guarantee is rather unusual for the old MBT, if I am not mistaken.

Sterling Brown was clearly a Jason Kidd/new management decision.

Ntilikina was probably a bit of both. Mavs reported previous interest, so they´d have the feelers out early with the agent and Kidd/Nico agreeing that at the minimum it was a worthwhile punt.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mavs2021's post:
  • burekemde, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(01-19-2022, 04:46 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: One of the more interesting questions I have for the roster talk is how many and which decisions last summer you think Nico influenced/made. He came into the job like 3-4 weeks before the start of free agency. We all know the tampering starts way before that. It impacts how Nico views the overall roster and some pieces specifically.

My assumption is that the framework for the THJ, WCS, Boban extensions was done before Nico even arrived. Therefore it was more a Cuban decision, which increases the likelihood of a THJ trade. 

I also lean toward Bullock being agreed upon before Nico came on board. The signing was immediate, but the size of the contract could also indicate a quick trigger offer that Bullock simply could not refuse. The partial guarantee is rather unusual for the old MBT, if I am not mistaken.

Sterling Brown was clearly a Jason Kidd/new management decision.

Ntilikina was probably a bit of both. Mavs reported previous interest, so they´d have the feelers out early with the agent and Kidd/Nico agreeing that at the minimum it was a worthwhile punt.

I think you'd have to know when they figured out that Lowry wasn't going to be an option.  It seems they thought they had a shot and made some decisions around that being Plan A.  Nico would have been there as Plan B (or whatever plan we went with) started to emerge and get executed.  Of course, being there and controlling the outcome may be two different things.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(01-19-2022, 07:34 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I think you'd have to know when they figured out that Lowry wasn't going to be an option.  It seems they thought they had a shot and made some decisions around that being Plan A.  Nico would have been there as Plan B (or whatever plan we went with) started to emerge and get executed.  Of course, being there and controlling the outcome may be two different things.

Good point about Lowry. That being said I´d hope that Nico is good enough to not chase these pipedreams. I´m not even referring to the level of player that Lowry is, but rather this seemingly deep Miami connection with Butler.

Freaking target players that see the Mavs as the #1 option, not the fallback.
Like Reply