Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4 Average
2021-2022 ROSTER TALK: [ARCHIVED]
The MBT was genius to many fans over here when they acquired Wood a couple weeks ago. They were still great when they somehow able to snatch Jaden Hardy, who was reported to already be their pick even if they held the FRP) in the second round, basically making the Wood trade in exchange of a SRP and getting rid of many players that don’t have almost any playing time.

Now the MBT are trash again because of not paying Brunson 27.5m a year, who I personally believe not the ideal side kick for Luka to get a Championship.

I agree with you all that Cuban has given damage to this team when it mattered most costructing the roster. But since Nico arrived, better things started to happen and they are handling this the correct way.

They did a great job before the draft and now I choose to stand by the new look of MBT (with Nico, Kidd and Dirk involved now) and see what they do after free agency starts.
Long time Mavs Fan from Turkey who wakes up in the middle of the night to watch the Mavs games.
[-] The following 4 users Like TurkishMFFL's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, Kammrath, Okstate819, VintagePejav2
Like Reply
(06-28-2022, 11:31 PM)F Gump Wrote: I think a one-and-done again in the playoffs would have been devastating to Luka and to this team. Especially when the alternate outcome - the one that that was the result of their actual choices - took them to the WCF.

You have to have some success, to make the hard work worth it. To make you willing to do it again, but work even harder.

While I can understand the perspective, short term success at the sacrifice of long term team building seems...not good.  I wanted to say foolish but don't want you to think I'm levying that word towards you.  It's how Cuban operates and what drives us all nuts.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
(06-28-2022, 11:36 PM)cow Wrote: Good players can have bad contracts.  JB and Luka together presents problems.  They are both gifted offensive point guards who struggle on the defensive end.  If JB leaves, that dynamic is going to be a big part of why he's going.  If you think JB a true #2, give him the $30M.   I don't have any ill will towards anyone with that mindset.  If he MBT don't think he's a true #2, they can't pay him that large of a contract as if that tandem doesn't get the team where it wants to go.  Punting assets down the road is what got the team in this mess in the first place.

Did the Mavs fuck up with the Dwight Powell contract?  Yes.  
Did the Mavs fuck up with the KP trade?  Yes.
Did the Mavs fuck up with THJ latest contract?  Yes.
Did the Mavs fuck up with Jalen contract and extensions?  Yes
Did they make 10,000 other mistakes along the way (WCS extension, Green Draft, Curry Trade, Wright Trade)?  Yes
Do any of those fuckups matter now?  No.  You can't fix them.  You just have to move forward.

Minimizing the impact of Jalen's unrestricted free agency is the best "worst" outcome we can shoot for now.

They're not minimizing anything, though. Losing Brunson for nothing does NOTHING to improve the team. This is a worse team than it was before, with no additional assets to improve it.

The only thing this helps is Mark Cuban's pocketbook.
Like Reply
(06-28-2022, 11:39 PM)TurkishMFFL Wrote: The MBT was genius to many fans over here when they acquired Wood a couple weeks ago. They were still great when they somehow able to snatch Jaden Hardy, who was reported to already be their pick even if they held the FRP) in the second round, basically making the Wood trade in exchange of a SRP and getting rid of many players that don’t have almost any playing time.

Now the MBT are trash again because of not paying Brunson 27.5m a year, who I personally believe not the ideal side kick for Luka to get a Championship.

I agree with you all that Cuban has given damage to this team when it mattered most costructing the roster. But since Nico arrived, better things started to happen and they are handling this the correct way.

They did a great job before the draft and now I choose to stand by the new look of MBT (with Nico, Kidd and Dirk involved now) and see what they do after free agency starts.

Agreed. The argument can be made right now that we are a better team minus Brunson and adding Wood/THJ back. Pretending that not giving Jalen Brunson 27.5 is like letting Jalen Brown walk is ridiculous.
[-] The following 2 users Like Okstate819's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, TurkishMFFL
Like Reply
(06-28-2022, 11:40 PM)Branduil Wrote: They're not minimizing anything, though. Losing Brunson for nothing does NOTHING to improve the team. This is a worse team than it was before, with no additional assets to improve it.

We don't know what the Mavs offer to JB is.  It could be the same as the Knicks with an additional year.  It could be less.  It could be more.  JB could turn any three of those options down and still go to the Knicks.  

I get being worried about losing Luka in the future but grossly overpaying JB leads you down that same road.
Like Reply
(06-28-2022, 11:40 PM)Branduil Wrote: They're not minimizing anything, though. Losing Brunson for nothing does NOTHING to improve the team. This is a worse team than it was before, with no additional assets to improve it.

You sure were worse? So far CWood + Dragic + THJ back and we lost Brunson. We’re better imo.

Sure, the pocketbook is the only concern when as a tax team already your offering a guy 22 million a year so you can pay an additional 130 million in tax. Makes sense.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Okstate819's post:
  • Kammrath
Like Reply
(06-28-2022, 11:48 PM)cow Wrote: We don't know what the Mavs offer to JB is.  It could be the same as the Knicks with an additional year.  It could be less.  It could be more.  JB could turn any three of those options down and still go to the Knicks.  

I get being worried about losing Luka in the future but grossly overpaying JB leads you down that same road.

By all reports the Mavs would not go higher than FVV-type contract. If they were offering a bigger number we would hear about it, I guarantee it.
Like Reply
(06-28-2022, 11:48 PM)cow Wrote: We don't know what the Mavs offer to JB is.

MacMahon is saying 5 years/$110M ($22M per year) is the Mavs offer.
Like Reply
(06-28-2022, 11:52 PM)Okstate819 Wrote: You sure were worse? So far CWood + Dragic + THJ back and we lost Brunson. We’re better imo.

Sure, the pocketbook is the only concern when as a tax team already your offering a guy 22 million a year so you can pay an additional 130 million in tax. Makes sense.

CWood + THJ + Brunson is better than CWood + THJ + Dragic unless you're just a completely unreasonable Brunson hater.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Branduil's post:
  • sterlingmallory
Like Reply
(06-28-2022, 11:52 PM)Branduil Wrote: By all reports the Mavs would not go higher than FVV-type contract. If they were offering a bigger number we would hear about it, I guarantee it.

You trust Twitter a lot more than I do which is fair.  I'm with you that the situation sucks and was grossly mishandled (so much for MBT 2.0 being an improvement), I just think you have to draw a line in the sand somewhere and start operating as a forward thinking franchise.  And don't mistake that sentiment as an endorsement for Cuban and company, I loathe them.
Like Reply
(06-28-2022, 11:39 PM)cow Wrote: While I can understand the perspective, short term success at the sacrifice of long term team building seems...not good.  I wanted to say foolish but don't want you to think I'm levying that word towards you.  It's how Cuban operates and what drives us all nuts.

I don't think it was only short term value that they got.

Teams have to learn how to win in the playoffs. Then they have to learn to elevate even more to the next round, and the next. And learn the grind they will have to encounter.

That lack of experience was going to be a barrier to the very top rungs, until they won a series and started having a chance to figure out what it takes. The fact that happened was huge. Once they won once, it made them see how to win, and how to do it at an even higher level vs PHX. I think it will pay dividends in future playoffs.

And there's no question that without Brunson here, none of that ever happens. Plus, I don't think Brunson's value at the TDL was high enough to net enough to be worth more than that experience. For Luka mostly, but also for DFS, RB, Maxi, SD. Maybe even Green or Maxi.
Like Reply
(06-28-2022, 11:53 PM)Kammrath Wrote: MacMahon is saying 5 years/$110M ($22M per year) is the Mavs offer.

Like I said, we do not know.  :p
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
Oh no! The Mavs really couldn’t even get a sign and trade out of this for Burks or Noel and are losing their second most valuable asset for nothing. And the idea is that Dragic can come in and play meaningful minutes. Lol. Folks, Dragic is cooked.  He’ll basically be in JJ Reddick territory next year with value only as a buddy to Luka. He’s not even worth a minimum salary on the court. I hate it when I know I could manage a team better than the “professionals” who actually run it. It’s not really rocket science is it.  How the hell do the Mavs always get played for chumps in free agency?  How does that happen?  I thought they were Nike’s team. Poor Luka. He’s got a long road ahead of him.
Like Reply
(06-28-2022, 11:57 PM)cow Wrote: Like I said, we do not know.  :p

Is there any reason to think MacMahon is lying? I feel like a lot of Mavs fans hate him because of his criticism towards the Mavs F.O., which has repeatedly shown to be warranted
Like Reply
(06-28-2022, 11:58 PM)Branduil Wrote: Is there any reason to think MacMahaon is lying?

Nope, he has shown himself to be connected and reliable.
Like Reply
(06-28-2022, 11:54 PM)Branduil Wrote: CWood + THJ + Brunson is better than CWood + THJ + Dragic unless you're just a completely unreasonable Brunson hater.

No argument. You said this is a worse team than it was before. Unless you went into the off-season believing Jalen was for sure back, the point is in totality this team is arguably better than it was Game 5vs GS.
Like Reply
(06-28-2022, 11:58 PM)Branduil Wrote: Is there any reason to think MacMahaon is lying? I feel like a lot of Mavs fans hate him because of his criticism towards the Mavs F.O., which has repeatedly shown to be warranted

You seem to have a perception that people on this board like the Mavs F.O. when the opposite is plainly obvious.  I don't think he's lying.  He could be 100% on the money.  I don't trust him as a source.
Like Reply
(06-28-2022, 11:59 PM)Okstate819 Wrote: No argument. You said this is a worse team than it was before. Unless you went into the off-season believing Jalen was for sure back, the point is in totality this team is arguably better than it was Game 5vs GS.

This is an entirely unproven point. The Mavs reached the WCF with Brunson. It's a factual thing that happened. CWood, THJ and Dragic making this team better than that is entirely hypothetical.
Like Reply
(06-29-2022, 12:01 AM)Branduil Wrote: This is an entirely unproven point. The Mavs reached the WCF with Brunson. It's a factual thing that happened. CWood, THJ and Dragic making this team better than that is entirely hypothetical.

Hence the word “arguably”
[-] The following 1 user Likes Okstate819's post:
  • Branduil
Like Reply
(06-28-2022, 11:56 PM)F Gump Wrote: I don't think it was only short term value that they got.

Teams have to learn how to win in the playoffs. Then they have to learn to elevate even more to the next round, and the next. And learn the grind they will have to encounter.

That lack of experience was going to be a barrier to the very top rungs, until they won a series and started having a chance to figure out what it takes. The fact that happened was huge. Once they won once, it made them see how to win, and how to do it at an even higher level vs PHX. I think it will pay dividends in future playoffs.

And there's no question that without Brunson here, none of that ever happens. Plus, I don't think Brunson's value at the TDL was high enough to net enough to be worth more than that experience. For Luka mostly, but also for DFS, TB, Maxi, SD. Maybe even Green or Maxi.

I've racked my brains trying to figure out who TB is, certainly not Bubble.  Reggie typo?  I'm not sure I appreciate the value of that playoff run as much as you do but it did give me a new perspective on some player evaluations.  I'm totally out on SD and JG long term.  Bullock is a baller and was impressed by Frank's plug and play.  Still think I'd take whatever assets JB what have netted at the TDL though.
Like Reply