Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4 Average
2021-2022 ROSTER TALK: [ARCHIVED]
(06-28-2022, 08:40 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: That's what we've been saying all day. 

Dragic gets part, Hardy gets part. There's no single, exciting, impact player coming for the full TPMLE. 

@"dirkfansince1998" is going to lose it. It's going to be Burke/Tyrell Terry all over again. Dragic is way better than Burke, so that part is cool, but the only way they're getting something like the level of some of these guys is through trade.

So what's the math on this?  How much do we have to carve out for Hardy contract?  Can we split the remaining for two contracts?  I'm grasping at straws here, but maybe we can outbid others for a vet min?  That's where we are at this point.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(06-28-2022, 08:40 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Dragic gets part, Hardy gets part. There's no single, exciting, impact player coming for the full TPMLE. 

How hard would it be to get $10.3mm under the apron?  If there isn't any returning salary in a Brunson S&T, we are at $157mm or $2mm over the apron.  That counts guaranteeing Frank and Maxi and adding a minimum slot to get to 12 players.

A S/W of Bertans saves $10.5mm.  It wouldn't take much more in a trade that brings back less that it sends out.  Can you get both Dragic and GPII if you have $10.3mm to spend?
[-] The following 2 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • mvossman, Tyler
Like Reply
(06-28-2022, 09:18 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: How hard would it be to get $10.3mm under the apron?  If there isn't any returning salary in a Brunson S&T, we are at $157mm or $2mm over the apron.  That counts guaranteeing Frank and Maxi and adding a minimum slot to get to 12 players.

A S/W of Bertans saves $10.5mm.  It wouldn't take much more in a trade that brings back less that it sends out.  Can you get both Dragic and GPII if you have $10.3mm to spend?

This is a very interesting idea.  Getting to the MLE opens a lot of doors to interesting options.  Appreciate the glimmer of hope.
Like Reply
I don't think a S/W of Bertans is likely, but I like the way you think in terms of cap management.
Like Reply
(06-28-2022, 09:22 PM)Tyler Wrote: I don't think a S/W of Bertans is likely, but I like the way you think in terms of cap management.

Oh hell no! 

My guess is that he's about to be in a dogfight with Powell over who gets to be 3rd big and who has to be 4th.
Like Reply
Time to give Powell an extension before we lose him for nothing next summer.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mavs2021's post:
  • MAVS-SLO, VintagePejav2
Like Reply
Seriously warning you guys right now, don't get attached to Wood. He either plays badly and is gone next year or he plays well and is gone next year.
[-] The following 7 users Like Branduil's post:
  • Fuerza1, HoosierDaddyKid, KillerLeft, MaxiThreeba, Smitty, sterlingmallory, VintagePejav2
Like Reply
(06-28-2022, 09:26 PM)Branduil Wrote: Seriously warning you guys right now, don't get attached to Wood. He either plays badly and is gone next year or he plays well and is gone next year.

100%
[-] The following 1 user Likes Smitty's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(06-28-2022, 05:47 PM)Branduil Wrote: Seriously though, can you think of any other franchise where the 2nd-best player just leaves after a successful WCF run?

Kawhi left Toronto.
LeBron left Cleveland (twice) and Miami.
Durant left OKC and Golden State.

And those were all their first best players.

(But I do understand the frustration. Being a Mavs fan in free agency is the worst.)
Like Reply
(06-28-2022, 09:28 PM)Tyler Wrote: Kawhi left Toronto.

(But I do understand the frustration. Being a Mavs fan in free agency is the worst.)

Toronto was a unique situation where they traded for him knowing it could be a 1-year-rental no matter what, and it ended up working out.

Cleveland and OKC are definitely NOT franchises you want to be compared to.

Miami and GS aren't comparable since those guys won multiple titles with those teams first.
Like Reply
(06-28-2022, 09:22 PM)mvossman Wrote: This is a very interesting idea.  Getting to the MLE opens a lot of doors to interesting options.  Appreciate the glimmer of hope.

I think Hollinger's idea is more realistic, but I hadn't read about the Detroit trade until after I posted this.  One player from among Dragic and Payton into the TP-MLE and one into the TPE?

Edit:  Sorry, I'm taking in a S&T player without getting us under the Apron.  Someone into the TP-MLE and a $12mm TPE that we will talk about for the next 12 months and will go unused next July.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • mvossman
Like Reply
Dan— Interesting idea but how would this work? SnT GP II from GS to Dallas? What does GS get for helping a competitor. Just a TE? Green and small TE?
Like Reply
(06-28-2022, 09:26 PM)Branduil Wrote: Seriously warning you guys right now, don't get attached to Wood. He either plays badly and is gone next year or he plays well and is gone next year.

I can already see in my head the pages upon pages long threads debating whether we should really commit $25+ million a year to Wood next summer and all the clever ideas people come up with to devise ways for us to maximize our cap situation only for none of them to happen, Wood end up walking for nothing, and we end up with like Brook Lopez and Kentavious Caldwell-Pope or something.
[-] The following 1 user Likes sterlingmallory's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply
(06-28-2022, 09:46 PM)MarkAguirreWrathofGod Wrote: Dan— Interesting idea but how would this work? SnT GP II from GS to Dallas? What does GS get for helping a competitor. Just a TE? Green and small TE?

GPII is a free agent.  GS has early bird rights, so the can sign him for more than the full tax MLE.  Unlike Cuban, that organization pays to be good.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid
Like Reply
Good news.  All smiles

https://www.instagram.com/p/CfXfkljpL_L/...mMyMTA2M2Y=
Like Reply
(06-28-2022, 09:46 PM)MarkAguirreWrathofGod Wrote: Dan— Interesting idea but how would this work? SnT GP II from GS to Dallas? What does GS get for helping a competitor. Just a TE? Green and small TE?

Please see my Edit:  I was writing faster than I was thinking.
Like Reply
(06-28-2022, 09:28 PM)Tyler Wrote: Kawhi left Toronto.

Being the first best player changes the question and the reason those guys left is that they didn't feel they could win with how the management built those teams.  You could argue against Leonard but who knows what's going on in that guys head.  Luka's probably headed down that path if we can't retain our 2nd best guy who should probably be our 3rd or 4th best guy.
Like Reply
Positive outlook attempt….The bottom line is I don’t really think Nico/Cuban/Kidd believe losing Brunson significantly hurts our ceiling next season and beyond. In a lot of ways he’s on a very similar level as a player to Dinwiddie and THJ. Capable of great performances but also prone to a dud game. These are B level players and Brunson is closer to a B level player than he is a all star. He also lacks the length that Nico/Kidd value highly next to Luka long term.

The guard rotation of Luka, Dinwiddie, THJ, Dragic is still very solid. They need another wing and one true big. I don’t think we pursue the Brogdon or DLO options because we don’t need to chase replacing Brunson’s production. It will be made up by a combination of THJ and Dragic.

Also, with or without Brunson, Christian Wood would be our second best player and second highest ppg next year imo.
[-] The following 4 users Like Okstate819's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, Kammrath, michaeltex, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(06-28-2022, 10:40 PM)Okstate819 Wrote: Positive outlook attempt….The bottom line is I don’t really think Nico/Cuban/Kidd believe losing Brunson significantly hurts our ceiling next season and beyond. In a lot of ways he’s on a very similar level as a player to Dinwiddie and THJ. Capable of great performances but also prone to a dud game. These are B level players and Brunson is closer to a B level player than he is a all star. He also lacks the length that Nico/Kidd value highly next to Luka long term.

The guard rotation of Luka, Dinwiddie, THJ, Dragic is still very solid. They need another wing and one true big. I don’t think we pursue the Brogdon or DLO options because we don’t need to chase replacing Brunson’s production. It will be made up by a combination of THJ and Dragic.

Also, with or without Brunson, Christian Wood would be our second best player and second highest ppg next year imo.

If they actually believe that having thin air is actually better than having Brunson, they're much dumber than I thought.
[-] The following 2 users Like Branduil's post:
  • Mavs2021, sterlingmallory
Like Reply
(06-28-2022, 10:40 PM)Okstate819 Wrote: The bottom line is I don’t really think Nico/Cuban/Kidd believe losing Brunson significantly hurts our ceiling next season and beyond. In a lot of ways he’s on a very similar level as a player to Dinwiddie and THJ. Capable of great performances but also prone to a dud game. These are B level players and Brunson is closer to a B level player than he is a all star. He also lacks the length that Nico/Kidd value highly next to Luka long term.

Agree with all of this for the most part. 

The Mavs were 9.4 pts worse defensively with JB in the lineup in the playoffs. I hadn't looked at those numbers until today. I was so taken with JB's offensive development in the playoffs that I failed to see how much his D was hurting the team. Luka, DFS and RB were the absolute high impact guys of the playoff run for the Mavs and the on/off numbers bear that out. 

Some other thoughts:

1) With JB out the Mavs will be able to get longer and better defensively (especially in the playoff context). 
2) JB would never be able to fully play to his strengths with Luka around. 
3) The loss of the "asset" is the big loss here, but I don't fault the Mavs for letting him walk at $27.5M/yr.
4) I think the Mavs can still make some significant strides in the roster building this summer on the trade front. 
5) I do not expect this to truly hurt the Mavs too much in the long run. 
6) CW in is going to be more impactful than JB out in my opinion, simply because of the fit alongside Luka.
[-] The following 4 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • F Gump, michaeltex, Okstate819, SweetFidelia
Like Reply