Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4 Average
2021-2022 ROSTER TALK: [ARCHIVED]
(01-24-2022, 09:30 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: This has now been several times we've heard the DFS+Powell trade package for someone. Myles Turner, Grant, Collins. Lots of guys.

Don't know if losing DFS is worth any of them though.

I would definitely do it for Collins and maybe Turner (before the foot) but the thing is both of those trades probably require more assets from Mavs and that's where I tap out (actually I would have to at least consider DFS + Powell + First for Collins but that probably wouldn't do it).
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
(01-24-2022, 10:11 PM)mvossman Wrote: I would definitely do it for Collins and maybe Turner (before the foot) but the thing is both of those trades probably require more assets from Mavs and that's where I tap out (actually I would have to at least consider DFS + Powell + First for Collins but that probably wouldn't do it).

Mavs would do that Collins trade.  They'd also do it if you swapped Maxi for Powell.
Like Reply
(01-24-2022, 10:38 PM)cow Wrote: Mavs would do that Collins trade.  They'd also do it if you swapped Maxi for Powell.

I agree, but I don't think the Hawks do it.
Like Reply
(01-25-2022, 12:18 AM)mvossman Wrote: I agree, but I don't think the Hawks do it.

With you there.
Like Reply
This may be immaterial, but was curious what is the reason for Dallas having an open two way spot?   Do other teams have open spots?  I was wondering if they were waiting for a guy like Kyle Guy to finish up his stay with the Heat.   But they Heat picked him up on a two way.   

Carlik Jones and Feron Hunt have both played well.  Jones has been better, but I actually like Hunt's long term upside more.   I fear Carlik is more of a guy who may be one of the baseball 4A players---between minors and majors type talent. 

Our one addition to the G-league is Theo Pinson (26 years old) who seems like more of a glue and chemistry guy to be on our NBA bench.  I swear there are times when all the coaches are sitting and it looks like Pinson is our coach.

Eugene is out with an injury for the year and was released.  Is there any benefit to signing him back and keeping him on a two-way for the rest of the year?   Or can you just bring him back, if you want, after the season is over and have him play on your summer league team? I am intrigued with him.  Not sure if he is in the same boat as Carlik but I think he showed some nice glimpses.  

Just wondering what the plan is there.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/NBA_NewYork/status/1...8938508289
Like Reply
(01-26-2022, 07:00 PM)Tyler Wrote: https://twitter.com/NBA_NewYork/status/1...8938508289

Knicks are desperate. 

Seriously if they want to swap Barrett for Brunson I'm game.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • Davemo
Like Reply
(01-26-2022, 08:18 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Knicks are desperate. 

Seriously if they want to swap Barrett for Brunson I'm game.

I'm pretty new to trade crafting, but I'll give it a whirl.   If NY wants Brunson and Dallas wants Collins, is there a potential 3 team trade?

Maybe
Dallas: Collins, Dieng
NY: Brunson
Atlanta: THJ, Barrett

Sprinkle around picks as needed.
[-] The following 2 users Like Jmaciscool's post:
  • Davemo, F Gump
Like Reply
(01-26-2022, 08:55 PM)Jmaciscool Wrote: I'm pretty new to trade crafting, but I'll give it a whirl.   If NY wants Brunson and Dallas wants Collins, is there a potential 3 team trade?

Maybe
Dallas: Collins, Dieng
NY: Brunson
Atlanta: THJ, Barrett

Sprinkle around picks as needed.

You should keep up the trade ideas! I like the thought experiment.

I think NY and ATL would need to be compensated a bit more especially since THJ is injured. Probably need to add Kleber since ATL is losing a big. Knicks would probably want more than just Brunson if they're giving up Barrett.

Also if Brunson could fetch a Barrett swap, wouldn't the Mavs just do that trade and cut ATL out entirely? He's a defensive minded 2/3 that can score pretty well. Exactly what we're looking for. 

What do you think?
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(01-26-2022, 09:06 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: You should keep up the trade ideas! I like the thought experiment.

I think NY and ATL would need to be compensated a bit more especially since THJ is injured. Probably need to add Kleber since ATL is losing a big. Knicks would probably want more than just Brunson if they're giving up Barrett.

Also if Brunson could fetch a Barrett swap, wouldn't the Mavs just do that trade and cut ATL out entirely? He's a defensive minded 2/3 that can score pretty well. Exactly what we're looking for. 

What do you think?

Yeah, good point. I was coming from the perspective that if NY wanted Brunson, and Dallas wanted Collins, then would there be anything Atlanta could offer NY?

But yeah, if NY really would give up Barrett for Brunson then it probably would make made sense to cut out Atlanta   Tongue
Like Reply
I over value JB and DFS because of what they bring chemistry wise. Luka really really trusts those guys and they just fit together. 

I am still not understanding why moving KP is not the bigger and better option for us. 

KP is the under achiever and here we are looking at trading the team guys for guys that mostly want out of their situations.
[-] The following 2 users Like Omega_Supreme's post:
  • burekemde, StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
I love JB and DFS. But I think DFS is the more important player because his type is rarer compared to the number of guard types like JB. Also, although JB has improved a lot defensively, he still has defensive limitations which were exploited by the GSW last game.

I think, if the Mavs do it, I am okay with JB, R. Bullock for Marcus Smart + scrub. Smart is the better fit, at least theoretically at this point. If they can get a FRP, maybe they can aggregate that with Powell and Maxi for Collins? (semi-dream scenario).
Like Reply
(01-26-2022, 10:06 PM)Omega_Supreme Wrote: I over value JB and DFS because of what they bring chemistry wise. Luka really really trusts those guys and they just fit together. 

I am still not understanding why moving KP is not the bigger and better option for us. 

KP is the under achiever and here we are looking at trading the team guys for guys that mostly want out of their situations.

I would not say KP has been an under achiever this season.  He has played at a high level all year.  I am not opposed to trading him depending on the return as his value is probably as high as its been since we landed him.

Also, trading KP does not address our looming tax issue (unless its for an expiring, which would be crazy right now).  The reason JB and DFS are brought up is because they are going to get significant raises that will put us in the tax.  Sending one of them out with salary filler can net you a really good player who is not due for a huge raise.  

Although I don't really know why they are lumped together.  DFS is looking at 6-8 mil raise and is probably not a flight risk.  Brunson on the other hand could be looking at more than 15 mil raise and is more of a potential flight risk.  If the goal is to avoid tax, the easiest ways to do it are to trade THJ for expiring (not likely now) or trade Brunson.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
(01-26-2022, 10:19 PM)RedFlag41 Wrote: I love JB and DFS. But I think DFS is the more important player because his type is rarer compared to the number of guard types like JB. Also, although JB has improved a lot defensively, he still has defensive limitations which were exploited by the GSW last game.

I think, if the Mavs do it, I am okay with JB, R. Bullock for Marcus Smart + scrub. Smart is the better fit, at least theoretically at this point. If they can get a FRP, maybe they can aggregate that with Powell and Maxi for Collins? (semi-dream scenario).

I would argue that Brunson is the rarer player because he is a high level creator.  He is not your typical guard type.

If we are trading Brunson I would probably rather do Smart than Grant, but if we do that trade this team will be really hurting for some offense, especially with THJ out for the year.
Like Reply
Best players on Mavs:

1. Luka
2. Jalen
3. Dorian
4. Healthy Maxi
5. KP

Don’t trade 1-4.
[-] The following 2 users Like Jommybone's post:
  • F Gump, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(01-27-2022, 02:14 PM)Jommybone Wrote: Best players on Mavs:

1. Luka
2. Jalen
3. Dorian
4. Healthy Maxi
5. KP

Don’t trade 1-4.

Here is my list:

1. God King
2. Luka
3. DFS
4. Doe-Doe
5. Dorian Finney Smith

I wouldn't trade 1-5.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • LukTheShadow
Like Reply
(01-27-2022, 02:55 PM)cow Wrote: Here is my list:

1. God King
2. Luka
3. DFS
4. Doe-Doe
5. Dorian Finney Smith

I wouldn't trade 1-5.

This schtick is starting to border on obsession. DFS might take a restraining order out on you
Like Reply
(01-27-2022, 03:02 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: This schtick is starting to border on obsession. DFS might take a restraining order out on you

[Image: gollum-my-precious.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes michaeltex's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
Interview with Brunson. Not saying he wants to go somewhere but also not screaming he wants to be in Dallas for life Smile

1-on-1 with Coveted NBA Free-Agent-to-Be Jalen Brunson on His 'Good Problems' | Bleacher Report | Latest News, Videos and Highlights
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • LukTheShadow
Like Reply
(01-24-2022, 10:11 PM)mvossman Wrote:  I would have to at least consider DFS + Powell + First for Collins but that probably wouldn't do it .

That (DFS + Powell + First for Collins) might not be as far off as we assume. The tendency is that teams will put wild values on players -- until they get in the "ready to make a deal and move this guy" mode.

It sounds like the Hawks are there with Collins. They are said to only be seeking a player who will be starter level for them, and a decent level 1st, rather than holding out for the moon. Your idea, if it's not enough, is certainly near that ballpark.
Like Reply