Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4 Average
2021-2022 ROSTER TALK: [ARCHIVED]
Some random thoughts from a new member:

--  I think we need the 2022 version of the 2011 Tyson Chandler.....but not necessarily that position.  If you ask me, Tyson was not really an NBA all-star but he was every bit an all-star for those Mavs.  He was not overly expensive to acquire (partly due to injury concerns) and we really did not expect that kind of impact.  IMO, he was the glue to that team.  We need a glue player.......maybe its a healthy MT, or RoCo, or Fox, or Holmes...I dont know.   I dont necessarily think we need an all-star, he just needs to be our all-star.  Leader, communicator, hard worker, and covers a weakness.  I think Kidd needs to have a large say in this process. 

--  I hate the way THJ is playing.   I also, however, do not want to trade him way below value.  His shot will probably return...if and when it does' we may not even want to trade him (okay, we probably still will....but it sounded good).  

--  On the other hand, KP has really been playing well.  I think I would rather trade him and his contract at the present time than THJ.  Of course, I do not want to dump him....I want value in return.  My opinion here is ALL about his health, not his ability.  

--  JB: I agree with most...only trade him if he suggests he will not re-sign here.  Amazing improvement.  

--  DFS: I think we need two more of him to make Kidds defense really hum.  A 6-10 version would be wonderful (see above glue reference).

--  I have tried to watch Dwight Powell (with focus only on him) for the good things he does.  Honestly, I just don't see it.   He hustles, he tries....but he is a bench player.   Kleber is much more useful.  

--  Why do I want DeAaron Fox on this team so badly??  I guess because I see what Trey Trey is capable of?  Not really sure.  I also want a low post presence....but that is because I watched Mark Aguirre so much in the 80's.   

--  Finally.  This is a great forum!  I have been reading for a long time and read the Lone Mavs Fan Forum before this one.  The insight, intelligence, and creativity are fantastic.   Thank you all for providing me with hours of entertaining reading.   

Take care!
[-] The following 13 users Like Davemo's post:
  • AgGiE1991, ballsrchr, burekemde, DallasMaverick, F Gump, fifteenth, Hypermav, Jmaciscool, KillerLeft, MFFL, Scott41theMavs, SleepingHero, Smitty
Like Reply
(01-20-2022, 05:38 PM)Davemo Wrote: --  DFS: I think we need two more of him to make Kidds defense really hum.  A 6-10 version would be wonderful (see above glue reference).

Welcome to our humble community! I can tell you will add a wealth of insight and wisdom to our collective. Post more!
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
(01-20-2022, 05:38 PM)Davemo Wrote: --  DFS: I think we need two more of him to make Kidds defense really hum.  A 6-10 version would be wonderful (see above glue reference).

This new guy is alright.  Here is your membership card to the God King Club.

[Image: godking.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
I'm going to go contrarian on the Mavs roster needs. The general consensus seems to be the Mavs need to add a big. Either a beefy center or a physical forward in the prime RoCo mould. I'm actually leaning toward adding another guard.

What?! This team is loaded with guards! -- Luka, Brunson, THJ, Bullock, Green, Ntilikina, Burke are all guards. Why do they need another!? 

A few reasons:

-This team can use another ball handler and playmaker for the playoffs. See Kidd's post game from last night.

-This team can use an All Defense caliber point of attack disruptor.

-DFS is the starting SF and backup PF, but he's this team's primary point of attack defender. His defense is solid but not game changing.

-Luka is spending more and more time operating out of the post. He's big, physical and this team's best defensive rebounder. I don't see a problem with playing two guards next to Luka.

What do we think of trading DFS in a deal that lands you Marcus Smart? 

Dallas would run

Luka
Brunson / THJ / Green
Smart / Bullock
Kleber
Porzingis / Chriss

Smart adds another ball handler and is an upgrade over DFS defensively. 

What's in it for Boston is less clear, so it might need to be a three-way deal. 

Of course, if reports are to be believed, Boston wants a high-level playmaker, so I assume they would want Brunson. He's a better scorer and steadier playmaker than Smart; and he could fit nicely into Smart's salary slot next year.

Given that reality, what do we think of Brunson+Powell for Smart+Langford ?

Dallas doesn't add another ball handler in this deal, but they do add an All Defense guy to the mix while keeping DFS and the big rotation intact. 

Dallas would run

Luka 
Smart / THJ / Green
DFS / Bullock
Kleber
Porzingis / Chriss

FWIW I hate the idea of trading either player but I'm concerned about losing one or both in FA. Especially concerned about Brunson and NYK.
[-] The following 1 user Likes vfromlmf's post:
  • Davemo
Like Reply
EDIT: Just noticed a huge discussion about Smart in another thread. Oops. Good points being made over there. I'm not sold on Smart either way TBH.
Like Reply
I have no problem adding a guard.  I also like Smart.  The one I really like is Fox.  If we add a guard as our main add, I still think we need to add a center/pf type via free agency.....not an expensive one, just a bit more physical (better rebounder) than what we have now.  Chriss might be that guy, but I have not seen enough of him yet.

I would not be in favor of DFS for Smart.  There are differences, but I think DFS is the more known and healthy commodity.  I would like both, however.   

I would love a trade of KP (I know he playing well, but his value is solid now...I think), and Powell or Hardaway and/or Green and 2nd Round pick. for Fox and Holmes: 

-- I have no idea of the salary issues on this one though (i cannot pull the trade machine up for some reason).  
-- The big problem here is that SAC probably does not want a PG back in this deal in addition to the fact they probably cannot sign Brunson long term.  
-- This would end up creating a logjam for us with Fox and Brunson.....leading to a probable trade of Brunson or losing him for nothing.  I don't see him re-signing here if we have Luka and Fox.   
-- I like the idea of having a super quick guard that can only be guarded by another really quick player.  It would give us more versatility and options offensively.  
-- Holmes is one of the better PnR bigs in the league and a solid rebounder/defender.

I may not be giving enough to SAC here to get this deal done.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Davemo's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
I don't like Smart...and think we can do better.  I certainly don't want to trade DFS for him.  THJ...well, ok!...maybe.
Like Reply
(01-24-2022, 03:59 PM)Davemo Wrote: I have no problem adding a guard.  I also like Smart.  The one I really like is Fox.  If we add a guard as our main add, I still think we need to add a center/pf type via free agency.....not an expensive one, just a bit more physical (better rebounder) than what we have now.  Chriss might be that guy, but I have not seen enough of him yet.

Don't get the interest in Fox.  He does not play defense and can't shoot.  He is also on a massive contract.
Like Reply
The appeal on Fox is dimensionality, meaning he would add another dimension to the Mavs attack --> Game changing speed. 

I also think Fox has the ability to be an elite defender. He's just not playing defense like he's capable of. 

The risk is he may be a guy who needs the ball in his hands. He hasn't meshed well with Halliburton and he seems disengaged off the ball. Looks like the kid could use an attitude adjustment more than anything. Maybe that could be accomplished via trade. Or maybe he would get reacquainted with reality if he were playing alongside an All NBA first teamer like Luka instead of a second year golden child like Halliburton. Fox is being paid like a superstar so I view him as a huge risk.
[-] The following 1 user Likes vfromlmf's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(01-24-2022, 05:02 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: The risk is he may be a guy who needs the ball in his hands.

There are quite a few risks, but this is the one that ends the conversation for me. Based on what I've seen of him for 5 years, if he's not your main initiator on offense (which he's honestly not even good enough yet to do for a playoff team) he straight up doesn't have value as a half-court offensive player. He might learn to be better in that situation, but I really doubt he'll improve enough to justify his contract. I think you only trade for Fox if you want to build your team around him, and that's not where the Mavericks are.
Like Reply
(01-24-2022, 03:22 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: What do we think of trading DFS in a deal that lands you Marcus Smart? 

Can't get behind that. Not only is Smart on the decline, he's a horrid offensive player. This team is already strugging as is.

I'm interested in Smart, but not if it costs any of the core (i.e. Luka/KP/DFS/Maxi/Brunson). 

Boston needs to make a smaller move to just get under the tax. I wonder how'd they feel for a Burke+THJ+Powell for Horford+Smart deal.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(01-24-2022, 05:02 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: The appeal on Fox is dimensionality, meaning he would add another dimension to the Mavs attack --> Game changing speed. 

I also think Fox has the ability to be an elite defender. He's just not playing defense like he's capable of. 

The risk is he may be a guy who needs the ball in his hands. He hasn't meshed well with Halliburton and he seems disengaged off the ball. Looks like the kid could use an attitude adjustment more than anything. Maybe that could be accomplished via trade. Or maybe he would get reacquainted with reality if he were playing alongside an All NBA first teamer like Luka instead of a second year golden child like Halliburton. Fox is being paid like a superstar so I view him as a huge risk.

This is my appeal....thank you for the thought.  I had forgotten he is under a large contract (the trade machine was not working when I posted or would have seen that)....that makes him MUCH less appealing to me.  I probably would not give up what I mentioned earlier knowing this.....this would necessitate giving up a bad contract which I do not consider KP at present.   I am still interested in someone like him.  The speed and quickness dimension is intriguing to me for this team.  Burke has it but he is so inconsistent in his shooting and decision making.   I really like what he brings as a changeup (when he is playing well).  I agree a big forward is one way to get better....but I do think this path is also very valid.   

Just a note on Fox: I do think he would change with a new situation....especially next to someone like Luka.  SAC is just a dump and a lot of players seem to evolve into poorer versions of themselves.   With Kidd and Luka, Fox might surprise.  Is it worth that contract?  I wish.....but it would be hard for me to get behind that gamble.  Sorry for forgetting about the large contract.
Like Reply
It looks like I'm a little behind on this discussion on another thread, but this also seems pertinent here:

"One dark-horse team mentioned as being interested in Grant was the Dallas Mavericks, with Dorian Finney-Smith and probably Dwight Powell as the primary pieces. The Mavericks have also been linked to Collins in Atlanta and Marcus Smart in Boston."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2952...elp-lakers
Like Reply
(01-24-2022, 09:22 PM)Tyler Wrote: "One dark-horse team mentioned as being interested in Grant was the Dallas Mavericks, with Dorian Finney-Smith and probably Dwight Powell as the primary pieces. The Mavericks have also been linked to Collins in Atlanta and Marcus Smart in Boston."

This has now been several times we've heard the DFS+Powell trade package for someone. Myles Turner, Grant, Collins. Lots of guys.

Don't know if losing DFS is worth any of them though.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
https://www.si.com/nba/mavericks/news/dallas-mavs-dorian-finney-smith-trade-miami-heat#gid=ci029820e8a0002790&pid=usatsi_17537165

I don't want him to go to the cHeat.
Like Reply
(01-24-2022, 09:22 PM)Tyler Wrote: It looks like I'm a little behind on this discussion on another thread, but this also seems pertinent here:

"One dark-horse team mentioned as being interested in Grant was the Dallas Mavericks, with Dorian Finney-Smith and probably Dwight Powell as the primary pieces. The Mavericks have also been linked to Collins in Atlanta and Marcus Smart in Boston."

Yuck. No way.
Not very astute ^^^^
Like Reply
(01-24-2022, 09:41 PM)Hypermav Wrote: https://www.si.com/nba/mavericks/news/dallas-mavs-dorian-finney-smith-trade-miami-heat#gid=ci029820e8a0002790&pid=usatsi_17537165

I don't want him to go to the cHeat.

Add this to the list of reasons we should keep God King.
Like Reply
(01-24-2022, 09:41 PM)Hypermav Wrote: I don't want him to go to the cHeat.

Can we not post Fish/SI clickbaiting ****? 

I mean hell they had a trade last month that sent KP+Brunson+picks to LA for Anthony Davis.
Like Reply
(01-24-2022, 09:22 PM)Tyler Wrote: It looks like I'm a little behind on this discussion on another thread, but this also seems pertinent here:

I would rather have DFS than Grant.  Its hard to imagine DFS going into a trade that wont piss me off.
[-] The following 2 users Like mvossman's post:
  • fifteenth, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(01-24-2022, 09:50 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Can we not post Fish/SI clickbaiting ****? 

I mean hell they had a trade last month that sent KP+Brunson+picks to LA for Anthony Davis.

I should have posted his source.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2952...ne-targets
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hypermav's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply