Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
2021-2022 MAVS NEWS: 4th in West | WCF loss [ARCHIVED]
(06-27-2022, 10:51 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Dumb (out of the loop) question - if JB walks, do the Mavs have their full MLE? Or is it still the taxpayer MLE? If the latter, better pray for that Reddish/Noel/Mavs 23 SnT to come through.

GPII isn't coming here for the tax MLE under any circumstances.

It depends. It's possible they could have the bigger MLE, because in theory they could try to give away a pile of salary, to get far enough below the apron to allow them to use the bigger MLE and still be below that 155M-ish line. Trades, in theory, could ratchet down their salary total, especially bigger ones.

But the most likely scenario (and imo likelier by a lot) is that they will be a txMLE team.
Like Reply
(06-27-2022, 10:58 PM)F Gump Wrote: It depends. It's possible they could have the bigger MLE, because in theory they could try to give away a pile of salary, to get far enough below the apron to allow them to use the bigger MLE and still be below that 155M-ish line. Trades, in theory, could ratchet down their salary total, especially bigger ones.

But the most likely scenario (and imo likelier by a lot) is that they will be a txMLE team.

How much would they have to dump?
Like Reply
[Image: FWTxypKWAAgScp2?format=jpg&name=large]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • Jommybone
Like Reply
(06-27-2022, 11:00 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: How much would they have to dump?

They would have to be under and stay under the 155M-ish line to use it. The bigger MLE is about 10M or so.

What it takes, it depends.

Right now they are at about that 155 number, not counting JB. So nothing to lose, but can't spend big MLE as the use of the MLE itself means 10M needing to be shed. Also if they lose JB but take back someone in a SNT, that is more to lose, maybe as much as another 10M.
Like Reply
Goodbye TPE
Oh we didn’t know you at all
You had the chance to hold out hope
When other hopes had gone

We thought that you would work out
And the press they thought so too
They used you like a tread mill
They only changed the names

It seems to me you had no chance
Like a candle in the wind
Never bringing in a player
Who could help us win

And I would’ve liked to use you
So would Jason Kidd
But Cuban’s spending fizzled out
After 2011
[-] The following 3 users Like Jommybone's post:
  • DallasMaverick, Jmaciscool, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
Now do the Christian Wood trade to the tune of Rocket Man.
Like Reply
(06-27-2022, 10:04 PM)F Gump Wrote: Dallas got a mention as an alternate possibility IF the W's let him get away, but also says the W's do see him as a priority. And they can pay him way more than Dallas can, if they wish to.

Warriors have Early Bird rights on GPII right? That means they can give him around 9 mil a year with 8% raises if my math is correct...?

If so the TP-MLE isn't such a huge drop-off to that salary. Also have to wonder if the Warriors even come close to that. Sure the ownership said they want to retain their players, but there has to be a limit somewhere and it's not like GPII is irreplaceable as they walked through most of the playoffs without him.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
GP2 is a stud defender and useful on offense - scoring without running plays for him.  Not a shooter though.  I am still of the opinion that we need defense to improve on last year.  Hopefully someone like GP2 and a defensive C.
Like Reply
(06-28-2022, 12:48 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Warriors have Early Bird rights on GPII right? That means they can give him around 9 mil a year with 8% raises if my math is correct...?

If so the TP-MLE isn't such a huge drop-off to that salary. Also have to wonder if the Warriors even come close to that. Sure the ownership said they want to retain their players, but there has to be a limit somewhere and it's not like GPII is irreplaceable as they walked through most of the playoffs without him.

Yes, GP is EB.

The difference is big. Best guess numbers, since they haven't been announced yet, but ...

TxTPE limits are 3 years, 5% raises, starting about 6.25M, max total about 20M.

EB limits are 4 years, 8% raises, starting about 11M, max total about 50M.
Like Reply
I think Golden State's interest in retaining GPII is directly proportionate to how ready they feel Moody is.  They have plenty to cover the 1/2 between Curry/Thompson/Poole and Moody.  Payton only played 319 minutes after the AS Break, so it isn't like he was some irreplaceable cog in the rotation.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
(06-28-2022, 02:14 AM)F Gump Wrote: Yes, GP is EB.

The difference is big. Best guess numbers, since they haven't been announced yet, but ...

TxTPE limits are 3 years, 5% raises, starting about 6.25M, max total about 20M.

EB limits are 4 years, 8% raises, starting about 11M, max total about 50M.

They have nothing on Porter though, right?  We can actually pay Porter more than GS can.  I would probably rather go that route anyways.
[-] The following 3 users Like mvossman's post:
  • F Gump, KillerLeft, Smitty
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/LegionHoopsRoss/stat...7671382017
[-] The following 2 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • audiosway, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(06-28-2022, 10:26 AM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/LegionHoopsRoss/stat...7671382017

If Dragic is so eager to sign with us that means TP-MLE, which would be disappointing given the younger and better options.
Like Reply
(06-28-2022, 10:32 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: If Dragic is so eager to sign with us that means TP-MLE, which would be disappointing given the younger and better options.

It would make no sense to spend that on Dragic unless Brunson is leaving, which would also be disappointing.
[-] The following 2 users Like mvossman's post:
  • KillerLeft, omahen
Like Reply
(06-28-2022, 10:33 AM)mvossman Wrote: It would make no sense to spend that on Dragic unless Brunson is leaving, which would also be disappointing.

I don't think that Brunson and [edited, brain typo] Dragic are mutually exclusive. Mavs have wanted Dragic for a year (and vice versa), but either didn't have a way to get him, or room on the roster. Now they have both.

I don't think this is about money for Dragic, as the main priority, so I'm still not convinced he gets more than minimum. In the right scenario, he would be willing to sign each summer for a year at a time, to be a mentor and a sometime contributor, and it would start with the expectation it would last for several years.
[-] The following 4 users Like F Gump's post:
  • Arioch, DallasMaverick, Jmaciscool, Smitty
Like Reply
(06-28-2022, 10:57 AM)F Gump Wrote: I don't think that Brunson and JB are mutually exclusive. Mavs have wanted Dragic for a year (and vice versa), but either didn't have a way to get him, or room on the roster. Now they have both.

I don't think this is about money for Dragic, as the main priority, so I'm still not convinced he gets more than minimum. In the right scenario, he would be willing to sign each summer for a year at a time, to be a mentor and a sometime contributor, and it would start with the expectation it would last for several years.

I hope this doesn't end up Goran is a target because we have lost Brunson.   I don't see a fit for Goran with Luka, JB & Dinwiddie (plus THJ) all here.

I wonder if Dinwiddie could be the odd man out?  He played really well here last year and fit in fine.   But maybe he was meant to have a short stay here?   We don't know all the factors at the trade deadline but it appeared the Mavs rated both Goran and Dinwiddie on the same tier.    Maybe there is a way to get value for Dinwiddie and replace him with a lower cost older player.   

Probably not the plan, but just curious.  I can't think of many teams looking for a mid teen salaried non elite point guard.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • Kammrath
Like Reply
(06-28-2022, 10:57 AM)F Gump Wrote: I don't think that Brunson and JB are mutually exclusive. Mavs have wanted Dragic for a year (and vice versa), but either didn't have a way to get him, or room on the roster. Now they have both.

This is how I see it too - there's always been mutual interest between Mavs and Dragic (well, except for maybe one botched Miami trade a few years ago...).

I imagine the Mavs envision Dragic with a particular role that would increase in the event that Brunson does leave and that Dragic understands that.  At least, that's what makes sense in my mind.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jmaciscool's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply

I'm not saying they are mutually exclusive.  I am saying that with Brunson on the team it does not make sense to spend more than the min on Dragic.  If he is willing to join for the min with Luka/Brunson/Din on the roster then great.

If Brunson walks, then its a different story.  I don't know that there is a better option for a creator/playmaker for the tax MLE.  Ideally he would come on a vet min, but the Mavs would probably be willing to go to tax MLE if necessary.
Like Reply
(06-28-2022, 11:11 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I hope this doesn't end up Goran is a target because we have lost Brunson.   I don't see a fit for Goran with Luka, JB & Dinwiddie (plus THJ) all here.

I wonder if Dinwiddie could be the odd man out?  He played really well here last year and fit in fine.   But maybe he was meant to have a short stay here?   We don't know all the factors at the trade deadline but it appeared the Mavs rated both Goran and Dinwiddie on the same tier.    Maybe there is a way to get value for Dinwiddie and replace him with a lower cost older player.   

Probably not the plan, but just curious.  I can't think of many teams looking for a mid teen salaried non elite point guard.

Wow, I think this is way off. Sorry.

First of all, one of those [Luka, JB & Dinwiddie (plus THJ)] is not at all like the others!

The Mavs want 2 guys (at least) on the floor at all times who can create offense, which means they need at least 3 playing every game. Until SD arrived, that was a problem, because they only had Luka and JB plus an emergency guy who was adequate for a game here and there in case of a player being out, but not good enough to play every game. They really need 4, counting a part-timer who is there in an emergency.

In that vein, even with Brunson, there is already an opening for 1 more of those, with Burke gone. (And THJ is not that guy at all.) So to me, the idea that SD is an "odd man out" is absurd. He is badly needed (unless you have 4 others, and right now there's only Luka for certain.)
[-] The following 3 users Like F Gump's post:
  • Arioch, DallasMaverick, Smitty
Like Reply
Ugh.  I hate that all the talk is about the backcourt.  Given their inability to rebound at an acceptable rate, IMO THJ and Bullock are better suited at the 2.  Same with DFS.  He's more of a long athletic wing at the SF than PF.  To do this we need a starting PF and move DFS to SF.
Like Reply