Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
2021-2022 MAVS NEWS: 4th in West | WCF loss [ARCHIVED]
@"dynamicalVoid"

Hey, friend. I didn't intend to do my first ever bit of modding on this forum today, but I almost deleted the post above. I opted not to, as I feel it's better to err on the side of non-censorship. However, whether you're meaning to belittle others or not, I just want to gently suggest that some of the ways you're choosing to make your points are coming off as mean-spirited. We don't have to attack others when we disagree with them. 
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • DallasMaverick, F Gump
Like Reply
(06-20-2022, 02:53 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: https://twitter.com/iztok_franko/status/1538878164394467338?s=20&t=gTKmDRhq5Xgz7WmEcHarAw

"Defense is where Wood’s fit gets trickier."

"Over the last two seasons Wood allowed 1.152 points per chance when defending centers in isolations, 0.923 when matched up with forwards, and only 0.898 when defending guards." 

"Wood’s offensive versatility will also allow Jason Kidd to play him in lineups with another big like Maxi Kleber to reduce the post defense and rim-protection burden. Mavs defensive coordinator Sean Sweeney knows what he’s working with, as he coached Wood in Detroit. During their last season together in 2019-20, the Pistons had an OK defense with Wood on the floor and a very good one when he played at a four spot next to another big man."

I noticed something similar to what Franko is talking about in that last quote.  Either Powell will get more minutes than anyone is predicting or we will have another center on the roster before much longer.
[-] The following 3 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • F Gump, KillerLeft, michaeltex
Like Reply
(06-20-2022, 07:20 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: @"dynamicalVoid"

Hey, friend. I didn't intend to do my first ever bit of modding on this forum today, but I almost deleted the post above. I opted not to, as I feel it's better to err on the side of non-censorship. However, whether you're meaning to belittle others or not, I just want to gently suggest that some of the ways you're choosing to make your points are coming off as mean-spirited. We don't have to attack others when we disagree with them. 

Of course.

I already got banned from a Dallas Cowboy forum for making sense.  Amongst a bunch of people hating...I got banned for making sense and not hating.

Call it what you will, but Kyrie would be a killer addition to this team.  Regardless of his ideology.
Like Reply
(06-20-2022, 07:27 PM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: Of course.

I already got banned from a Dallas Cowboy forum for making sense.  Amongst a bunch of people hating...I got banned for making sense and not hating.

Call it what you will, but Kyrie would be a killer addition to this team.  Regardless of his ideology.

I'm pretty sure you already understand this, because I was quite clear, but to be as transparent as possible:

1) Nobody said anything about "banning." You brought that word into it, not me. I simply urged you to try to be more respectful of others. 

2) The urging had absolutely nothing to do with your opinion, and everything to do with the way you chose to express it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
(06-20-2022, 07:30 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I'm pretty sure you already understand this, because I was quite clear, but to be as transparent as possible:

1) Nobody said anything about "banning." You brought that word into it, not me. I simply urged you to try to be more respectful of others. 

2) The urging had absolutely nothing to do with your opinion, and everything to do with the way you chose to express it.

Sure...if someone wants to talk around exchanging a Dollar for a nickel and making it sound unwise...you can call me an aggressive. 

Point still stands. 

Talk around it all day long...my enemy.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dynamicalVoid's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(06-20-2022, 07:26 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Mavs defensive coordinator Sean Sweeney knows what he’s working with, as he coached Wood in Detroit. During their last season together in 2019-20, the Pistons had an OK defense with Wood on the floor and a very good one when he played at a four spot next to another big man."

I noticed something similar to what Franko is talking about in that last quote.  Either Powell will get more minutes than anyone is predicting or we will have another center on the roster before much longer.

Yes, I've seen a few people I respect suggesting that Wood can play the 4. 

I'm not dead-set-against it, and I can see it against certain teams, in certain situations. I just don't think it's the main think they were thinking when they made this trade. 

I do agree that there's a reason they didn't include Powell and instead used so many smaller contracts, and I don't think that reason was only about clearing roster spots. I don't think the Mavs are quite as down on Powell as this board is. 

It's going to be interesting to see how it all works out, for sure.
[-] The following 3 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • F Gump, Jommybone, Smitty
Like Reply
(06-20-2022, 07:33 PM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: Sure...if someone wants to talk around exchanging a Dollar or a nickel and making it sound unwise...you can call me an aggressive. 

Point still stands. 

Talk around it all day long...my enemy.

Again, you're sidestepping the point and making it about the topic, not the method. I have no interest to engage with you on Kyrie Irving.

Because I know that you're missing the point deliberately, I can only hope that you don't respond to this post with another attack (which I'd think you'd be more sensitive about, considering it's right there in your sig). 

Please, there's no reason for this situation to get any less pleasant than it already is.
Like Reply
(06-20-2022, 07:38 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Again, you're sidestepping the point and making about the topic, not the method. I have no interest to engage with you on Kyrie Irving.

Because I know that you're missing the point deliberately, I can only hope that you don't respond to this post with another attack (which I'd think you'd be more sensitive about, considering it's right there in your sig). 

Please, there's no reason for this situation to get any less pleasant than it already is.

Youre a lie.  Impressive

Slaves forever.
Like Reply
(06-20-2022, 07:41 PM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: Youre a lie.  Impressive

Slaves forever.

I have no desire to police this forum. None of us do. But, I can't pretend like this kind of post fosters comfort and discussion from everyone who uses this place. 

I gave you a 1-day ban, basically because I don't know what else to do. 

We don't want to kick anyone out of here and value everyone's contributions, so I hope you're just having a bad day and can tone down the attacks and aggression a little tomorrow.
[-] The following 10 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • AgGiE1991, Arioch, dirkfansince1998, F Gump, Jmaciscool, Kammrath, Mavsfan12, michaeltex, mvossman, Smitty
Like Reply
Powell makes me scowl, I want to throw in the towel.  Wood is good and maybe a bit misunderstood.  Get a traditional center, a bucket preventer.
[-] The following 8 users Like Hypermav's post:
  • Jmaciscool, KillerLeft, Mavsfan12, mvossman, nash_funk, RasheedsBigWhiteSpot, SleepingHero, Smitty
Like Reply
(06-20-2022, 07:57 PM)Hypermav Wrote: Powell makes me scowl, I want to throw in the towel.  Wood is good and maybe a bit misunderstood.  Get a traditional center, a bucket preventer.

[Image: bruh-bars.gif]
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
(06-20-2022, 07:45 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I have no desire to police this forum. None of us do. But, I can't pretend like this kind of post fosters comfort and discussion from everyone who uses this place. 

I gave you a 1-day ban, basically because I don't know what else to do. 

We don't want to kick anyone out of here and value everyone's contributions, so I hope you're just having a bad day and can tone down the attacks and aggression a little tomorrow.

Its weird.  He has been posting here for a while, but roughly a day ago it took a strange turn.  I hope he is just on a bender, otherwise I'm a little worried about the guy.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
(06-20-2022, 07:57 PM)Hypermav Wrote: Powell makes me scowl, I want to throw in the towel.  Wood is good and maybe a bit misunderstood.  Get a traditional center, a bucket preventer.

Please help me understand why Powell, seemingly a hard worker, saw his stats flat line in the playoffs?
Like Reply
(06-20-2022, 08:27 PM)mvossman Wrote: Its weird.  He has been posting here for a while, but roughly a day ago it took a strange turn.  I hope he is just on a bender, otherwise I'm a little worried about the guy.

This kind of thing happened once when I was moderating an old Hoopsworld forum in about 2006. It turned out the poster's little brother had hijacked the account and was posting under the user's name.

I'm not at all saying that happened here.... it's just you really never know. Moderators have a tough job. KillerLeft you handled it about as well as you could given the circumstances.
Like Reply
(06-20-2022, 08:30 PM)WildArkieBoy Wrote: Please help me understand why Powell, seemingly a hard worker, saw his stats flat line in the playoffs?

My take:

He's a great vertical spacer and very thoughtful screener on offense, but that's all he's got on that end. Playoff defenses are just too good at taking away your first couple of options (which is what Powell is in all those pnr's he runs with Luka) and Powell has no other way of attacking to punish them. He can't shoot, can't really floor the ball, has no post game, isn't much of a passer, etc. Consequently, during his minutes this past playoffs, the Mavs were basically playing 4 on 5, in a way. 

He's a good defender, especially in this switch-type defense, and was adequate on that end, but not great, even by his standards, and certainly not great enough to offset the huge handicap he caused on offense. 

He has never been a good rebounder. That's where he's truly deficient, imo. I've never seen hands that seem so instinctive and natural catching lobs yet so clumsy securing balls that come to him off of the defensive glass. I personally believe rebounding is the least important of these three areas, but it certainly doesn't work in his favor when one of the other two is such a problem. 

Wood is going to make this team considerably better, imo, simply by providing the kind of varied offensive threat that neither Powell nor Porzingis have been able to provide in this system. If he accepts the role with the right mindset, of course.
  • nash_funk
Like Reply
(06-20-2022, 07:26 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: "Defense is where Wood’s fit gets trickier."

"Over the last two seasons Wood allowed 1.152 points per chance when defending centers in isolations, 0.923 when matched up with forwards, and only 0.898 when defending guards." 

"Wood’s offensive versatility will also allow Jason Kidd to play him in lineups with another big like Maxi Kleber to reduce the post defense and rim-protection burden. Mavs defensive coordinator Sean Sweeney knows what he’s working with, as he coached Wood in Detroit. During their last season together in 2019-20, the Pistons had an OK defense with Wood on the floor and a very good one when he played at a four spot next to another big man."

I'm starting to open my mind to this concept.  I feel the same way about Wood that I do about Collins.  They are most effective offensively if a center is not clogging the paint.  A Wood/Maxi frontcourt would make a ton of sense (as mentioned in the article).  Getting another guy like Maxi that could protect the rim and shoot the 3 would make a lot of sense.  I still think Jalen Smith would be the best option, and he makes even more sense if we can put him next to Wood (at least at times).  Some other options at the tax MLE that fill that role to some degree are Boucher, Tucker, Young, Muscala.  If we are really planning on playing Wood at the 4 and are ok with a rim runner at the 5 then guys like Holmes reenter the picture.  I will lose my shit if Powell is starting next season.

If Wood is playing the 4 or at least next to another big, then that changes the dynamic of the roster.  That pushes Dorian to the 3 (at least part time).  It's hard to imagine any room for Timmy in that scenario.
[-] The following 2 users Like mvossman's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, KillerLeft
Like Reply
Since Wood's weakness is getting bullied in the paint, the most likely addition to the roster is someone who doesn't. In terms of roster construction, that makes the most sense. It most likely will be a backup center, but there are other ways to look at it. Dwight Powell is almost certainly not going to be that player.

Who the player is will likely be related to money (and\or a Powell trade). I can't imagine Nic Claxton is actually the right player, but there are others available.
Like Reply
Lots of players with NBA experience being invited to Mavs Mini-Camp.

Dion Waiters, Tyreke Evans Among FAs Attending Mavs' Mini-Camp | Hoops Rumors
Like Reply
[Image: FVyA6b6XoAAIqNi?format=jpg&name=large]
Like Reply
(06-21-2022, 06:35 AM)Winter Wrote: Since Wood's weakness is getting bullied in the paint, the most likely addition to the roster is someone who doesn't. In terms of roster construction, that makes the most sense. It most likely will be a backup center, but there are other ways to look at it. Dwight Powell is almost certainly not going to be that player.

Who the player is will likely be related to money (and\or a Powell trade). I can't imagine Nic Claxton is actually the right player, but there are others available.

Answer: Kelly Olynyk.

That is -- if Detroit is willing to get a year of DP instead of 2 years of Olynyk.
The Pistons are young, they could use some veteran presence.. and DP, at least IMHo, could be a better veteran presence than Olynyk.

Olynk is a bit slow footed and would still struggle to guard in space, but I don't think he'd be any worse than Zubac, KP, Vooch or most 5s. Kelly can also be bullied in the paint, but he could be your best counter for players abusing Wood and Maxi in the post. And this will happen against teams with prime time bigs. At least Kelly, would help reduce the beating Wood and Maxi would have during the course of the regular season.

The O of course is the better part of Kelly's game. He'd be way more versatile than DP and even Maxi. The Mavs can retain the 5-out strategy, at least on offense. The good thing with Kelly is he can dribble a bit and get to his spots without being assisted. He has a bit of an in between game that Maxi doesn't have (probably better than DFS or Bullock too).

I think Kelly fits what the Mavs need. Of course he isn't the perimeter modern big everyone is looking for these days, but I'd take him over DP any day. Kelly retains the floor spacing big that's now one of the top requirements for Mavs bigs, while also still being capable of countering "bully-ball" to some degree.
Like Reply