Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
2021-2022 MAVS NEWS: 4th in West | WCF loss [ARCHIVED]
Maybe they can trade Moses Brown for Dennis Smith Jr to make Luka happy.
Like Reply
(01-27-2022, 03:30 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: [Image: cross-demon.gif]

After all the former Mavs/players coming out and airing how much RC was a dick, I firmly believe DSJ got the short end of the stick.

I think he'd be a better fit on the roster than Burke that's for sure!
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(01-27-2022, 12:22 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: After all the former Mavs/players coming out and airing how much RC was a dick, I firmly believe DSJ got the short end of the stick.

On the other hand. After watching DSJ in NY and Portland it is undeniable that RC nailed the player evaluation part of the job. Former top 10 pick that was nearly out of the league after his rookie contract. Ended up as an end of the bench guy. When the Mavs traded him he still had some value. Maybe they could have targeted another player (not KP) but moving on from DSJ was the right decision.
[-] The following 5 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • BackToSquareOne, F Gump, michaeltex, mvossman, omahen
Like Reply
(01-27-2022, 12:22 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: After all the former Mavs/players coming out and airing how much RC was a dick, I firmly believe DSJ got the short end of the stick.

I honestly thought that Carlisle was trying hard to relate to the modern NBA player the last couple of years.  Maybe not, eh.  I don't know whether it was lack of practice emphasis or the players lack of enthusiasm....but the defensive improvement under Kidd has been spectacular.  So much so, it really makes me question Carlisle as a modern day NBA coach.   I am shocked I am saying this.  At the time, I thought a coaching change might be needed....but it had little to do with Carlisle.  More so, just a new voice needed.  I also thought Kidd was a very questionable hire.  It is still early....but WOW do I look like I had this wrong!

I take DSJ over Burke too.
Like Reply
We know that Rick has problems connecting with players. We also know that DSJ was a mediocre PG with an inflated ego who quit on his own team in an effort to force a trade. In a way, they were made for each other. Like Neo and Agent Smith.

Sure, I'd take DSJ over Burke, too. But I'd take almost any guard over him. There's no need to pine over the old ex who you dumped for good reason.
[-] The following 3 users Like Tyler's post:
  • BackToSquareOne, F Gump, KillerLeft
Like Reply
I think a little bit of the recent Kidd and defense hype is about it being something new instead of the same old Mavs way. Great flow offense with questionable defense. Giving up big runs. Not being able to close out games on the defensive end.
Overall results are more or less the same.

19/20: 0.573 win percentage, +4.9 net rating (6th), 1st offense, 18th defense
20/21: 0.583 win percentage, +2.3 net rating (11th), 9th offense, 20th defense
21/22: 0.571 win percentage, +2.4 net rating (9th), 21st offense, 5th defense

The recent stretch of games was really encouraging but we shouldn´t forget that the Mavs had similar stretches in the last two seasons.
[-] The following 2 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • mvossman, omahen
Like Reply
(01-27-2022, 12:35 PM)Davemo Wrote: I honestly thought that Carlisle was trying hard to relate to the modern NBA player the last couple of years.  Maybe not, eh. 

Luka's just in another stratosphere so Rick knew he had to treat him differently.  DSJ, not so much.  He can get away with the "I'm Rick fucking Carlisle" with most players.
Like Reply
(01-27-2022, 12:22 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I think he'd be a better fit on the roster than Burke that's for sure!

I actually think Burke is a better player. 

DSJ didn't get the short end of the stick. He's not good enough.
[-] The following 3 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • ballsrchr, F Gump, omahen
Like Reply
(01-27-2022, 01:12 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I actually think Burke is a better player. 

DSJ didn't get the short end of the stick. He's not good enough.

I mean lets take a step back and realize we're talking about the 4th string PG here that won't see the time of day unless its garbage time.

Burke is bad. DSJ isn't good either. But the difference between them was shown in that video I posted. Luka and DFS like him a lot. Frank and Bullock both played with him in NYK. There's value in being well-liked. 

And I think DSJ is turning the corner this year. He's been productive for Portland. Also if we really want to mince stats, they're both putting up basically the same exact production. DSJ gets slightly more minutes, but also has double the assists. Same shooting percentages
TB: 6ppg/1.7apg/1rpg on 41/30/94. eFG 47.2% in 11mpg
DSJ: 6ppg/3.4apg/2.2rpg on 42/22/69. eFG 44% in 17mpg
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • Davemo
Like Reply
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2952...hare=other
Like Reply
(01-27-2022, 01:21 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I mean lets take a step back and realize we're talking about the 4th string PG here that won't see the time of day unless its garbage time.

Burke is bad. DSJ isn't good either. But the difference between them was shown in that video I posted. Luka and DFS like him a lot. Frank and Bullock both played with him in NYK. There's value in being well-liked. 

And I think DSJ is turning the corner this year. He's been productive for Portland. Also if we really want to mince stats, they're both putting up basically the same exact production. DSJ gets slightly more minutes, but also has double the assists. Same shooting percentages
TB: 6ppg/1.7apg/1rpg on 41/30/94. eFG 47.2% in 11mpg
DSJ: 6ppg/3.4apg/2.2rpg on 42/22/69. eFG 44% in 17mpg

DSJ was brought in to be the DAL PG of the future. Despite showing flashes, he wasn't turning a lot of heads. Plus he was a young rookie on a team of aging vets. 

Then came Luka and turned out to be able to live DSJ's dream from the start. Bad feelings, lack of chemistry, bad attitude from the older players (DAJ, HB, Wes) who also didn't support much ball movement and you start building a toxic environment. 

So adios, DSJ. I think it was going to happen by the TDL even without KPs availability.
[-] The following 1 user Likes michaeltex's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(01-27-2022, 01:21 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Burke is bad.

Not sure I can agree. I like Burke, in some situations. I'm still glad he's here. Dude is a mid-range monster, and we'll be very glad he's around if Brunson or Luka has to miss time down the stretch (unless someone like Dragic is added, I guess).
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • fifteenth, Paul Gasol
Like Reply
(01-27-2022, 08:58 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Not sure I can agree. I like Burke, in some situations. I'm still glad he's here. Dude is a mid-range monster, and we'll be very glad he's around if Brunson or Luka has to miss time down the stretch (unless someone like Dragic is added, I guess).

KL, c'mon man. Burke has scored a total of 14 points in  7 games during this entire month. He's shooting 27% from the field and an even worse 20% from 3. He had a mediocre stretch in December putting up 8ppg on 43/31/92, but other than that Burke hasn't shown anything that he deserves an NBA roster spot.

https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status...jbuaIpAAAA
Like Reply
Trey’s upside is he might be a third-string-quality PG. 

Dennis’s upside is he might turn into a legit rotation piece, possibly even a sixth man or starter.
Like Reply
(01-27-2022, 09:23 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: KL, c'mon man. Burke has scored a total of 14 points in  7 games during this entire month. He's shooting 27% from the field and an even worse 20% from 3. He had a mediocre stretch in December putting up 8ppg on 43/31/92, but other than that Burke hasn't shown anything that he deserves an NBA roster spot.

https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status...jbuaIpAAAA

I mean he hasn't played much because Luka and Brunson are healthy. That's not really an indictment on how good he is. He's a decent 3rd guard that's good to have around in case of injury. I would probably prefer DSJ back over him but Burke is solid for what he is.
Like Reply
So, first the Dallas connected reporter calls Brunson "untouchable" and then the NY based reporter says "fine, don't trade him to NY and wait and see what happens when Detroit throws major money at him".  Lying season is upon us:

https://www.si.com/nba/mavericks/news/da...ncy-rumors

Two NBA insiders, Bleacher Report's Jake Fischer and SNY's Ian Begley, appeared on a live audio room on the Halftime app to discuss the latest trade talk around the league. 
When asked about Jalen Brunson's pending free agency and potential trade market, Begley stated the Knicks 'have at least touched base' with the Mavericks about Brunson. 
Begley also mentioned there's at least one more team willing to make him an offer 'north of $20 million' in free agency. 
Quote:"Jalen Brunson, for many different reasons, has been on the Knick radar for a while now. He's got plenty of connections to the Knicks. So I know the Knicks, at the very least, have touched based with Dallas on Brunson and I can't tell you what it would take to pry Brunson from Dallas from a Knick perspective. I'm not sure on that.
But I do know he's a highly sought after player and if he does hit unrestricted free agency, I can say pretty confidently there's at least one other team prepared to give him an offer north of $20 million per year. So it's an interesting situation with Dallas. Is Dallas prepared to pay him that kind of money? How do they see that salary fitting in with the rest of the money they will owe the rest of the players on the roster including obviously Luka Doncic?"

Begley did make note that he isn't sure how willing the Mavericks would actually be to move Brunson at the trade deadline in order to essentially get ahead of possibly losing a member of their starting backcourt in free agency. 
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1486...74502?s=20&t=iTR4kj13F8wUHc2fXW6THw
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • KillerLeft, WillE
Like Reply
Interesting that there isn’t more board outrage about Luka not starting the AS Game.
Like Reply
(01-28-2022, 09:13 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Interesting that there isn’t more board outrage about Luka not starting the AS Game.

I want him to start and think he is as good as any guard in the league.  At the same time, I don't mind him getting a chip on his shoulder. That might lead to better conditioning and a more focused approach. Maybe.
[-] The following 7 users Like Hypermav's post:
  • BackToSquareOne, DanSchwartzgan, ItsGoTime, KillerLeft, MFFL, SleepingHero, StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
https://www.instagram.com/p/CZPsV-luD0E/
Like Reply