Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
2021-2022 MAVS NEWS: 4th in West | WCF loss [ARCHIVED]
(01-18-2022, 10:04 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I like most of this guy's content, particularly his Celtics videos. It's pretty interesting how serious outside NBA observers view the Mavs, imo.

https://youtu.be/HTjD6XgaM-s

Some pretty good thoughts there.  I'm with him on the asset pool and trying to land another star level player.  We could probably scrap enough together for that Myles Turner level player, but you might lose enough to counter all the positives he brings and end up in the same place as if you had done nothing.  I think you just need to look for talent swaps for players like THJ that get you near or equal value and fit with how the team wants to play better.  I'd lump KP in that sentiment as well, but you are definitely going to get a downgrade in talent and you'd have to hope more availability is worth that risk.  I also don't like the KP/Turner fit.   

He's also correct on JB and if you take into consideration that we can't land another star, maybe it's time to consider JB the core and invest into him.  The fear is that the upside of the Luka/JB pairing is Dame/CJ but I'm not sure we have a lot of other great options.
[-] The following 4 users Like cow's post:
  • Jmaciscool, KillerLeft, mvossman, Smitty
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/iztok_franko/status/...1193569283
[-] The following 2 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • MFFL, Paul Gasol
Like Reply
https://www.basketballnews.com/stories/h...te-defense
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • Paul Gasol
Like Reply
I wasn't being around a while and now ...  this can't be true. Wouldn't even dream about that ... ever...

https://twitter.com/All_Things_Mavs/stat...14467?s=20
[-] The following 1 user Likes LukTheShadow's post:
  • burekemde
Like Reply
(01-19-2022, 06:41 PM)LukTheShadow Wrote: I wasn't being around a while and now ...  this can't be true. Wouldn't even dream about that ... ever...

https://twitter.com/All_Things_Mavs/stat...14467?s=20

The movement and scheme on defense has significantly improved. Definitely coaching thing. Huge thing.

For Luka, he has played some amazing defense, and especially on ball and covering passing lanes, getting hand on the ball. I think for Luka, this has been two things. Getting back from injury, not limping any longer. You cant play D when limping. Second thing, is due to Brunson. Brunson takes plays on offense where he is the point of attack and PG. This makes Luka more fresh and gives him enough air to play good D.
[-] The following 3 users Like burekemde's post:
  • ballsrchr, LukTheShadow, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/MavsFansForLife/stat...TIupkpAAAA
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Timmy: I need to have my share of shots.
Luka: You ought to make them when I pass it to you, you're wide open most of the time.
Timmy: Says the fat guy who shoots 29% from 3.
Luka: Alright, good luck to you in Detroit then
[-] The following 5 users Like Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, MFFL, michaeltex, Scott41theMavs, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(01-21-2022, 06:21 AM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: Timmy: I need to have my share of shots.
Luka: You ought to make them when I pass it to you, you're wide open most of the time.

To be fair, Luka’s step-back 3’s are becoming as painful to watch as Devin Harris’s end of quarter 3’s… except we have to see them 8 times a game…
Like Reply
(01-21-2022, 07:14 AM)Paul Gasol Wrote: To be fair, Luka’s step-back 3’s are becoming as painful to watch as Devin Harris’s end of quarter 3’s… except we have to see them 8 times a game…

Painful it is, but my hope is he keeps shooting them in order for his 3 pt shot to get back. When that gets back (hopefully it will?) and he is back in 40% range from 3, that's the only chance we have going all the way for a championship. That will open the paint for the entire team.
[-] The following 1 user Likes burekemde's post:
  • BoredAssistant
Like Reply
(01-21-2022, 06:21 AM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: Timmy: I need to have my share of shots.

I'm a lip reader.  Here is how it went down:

Timmy:  It's my job to brick ill-advised threes. 
Luka:  I'm the captain now.
Timmy:  I know baby, I'm sorry.  Let me give you a hug.
Luka:  My neck really hurts, Timmothy.
Timmy:  You're tearing me apart, Lisa!
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
(01-21-2022, 08:48 AM)burekemde Wrote: Painful it is, but my hope is he keeps shooting them in order for his 3 pt shot to get back. When that gets back (hopefully it will?) and he is back in 40% range from 3, that's the only chance we have going all the way for a championship. That will open the paint for the entire team.

I just don't think it's in the cards for THJ this year. He's averaged 521 total 3pt attempts the last two years under RC. He's at 296 so far. If we want him to get to 40%, he needs to shoot 48% from three for the rest of the year from here on out.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(01-21-2022, 12:09 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I just don't think it's in the cards for THJ this year. He's averaged 521 total 3pt attempts the last two years under RC. He's at 296 so far. If we want him to get to 40%, he needs to shoot 48% from three for the rest of the year from here on out.

Maybe, but, I mean, there is still a lot of season left. And it doesn't matter to me how much he lifts his full season percentages. If he lifts his in game percentages going forward, we'll win more games...and just that alone might make his trade value better as well.
Not very astute ^^^^
Like Reply
(01-21-2022, 11:51 AM)cow Wrote: I'm a lip reader.  Here is how it went down:

Timmy:  It's my job to brick ill-advised threes. 
Luka:  I'm the captain now.
Timmy:  I know baby, I'm sorry.  Let me give you a hug.
Luka:  My neck really hurts, Timmothy.
Timmy:  You're tearing me apart, Lisa!

Is this a reference to "The Room?"
Like Reply
(01-21-2022, 12:43 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Is this a reference to "The Room?"

And Captain Phillips.
Like Reply
THJ is actually worse than his 2 year stint the last two years and it looking more and more likely those years were outliers. 

Now he is being asked to be a 2 way player and contribute offensively and he sucks at it. 

I hate it because I like him as a player but he needs to be somewhere where he can play in an open Dantoni type offense. 

His game is showing what it is when you put more responsibility on him to get more out of him.
Like Reply
(01-22-2022, 12:00 AM)Omega_Supreme Wrote: THJ is actually worse than his 2 year stint the last two years and it looking more and more likely those years were outliers. 

Now he is being asked to be a 2 way player and contribute offensively and he sucks at it. 

I hate it because I like him as a player but he needs to be somewhere where he can play in an open Dantoni type offense. 

His game is showing what it is when you put more responsibility on him to get more out of him.
Given his struggles this year alongside the Mavs surprising defensive improvements with him on the bench, I'm starting to wonder how much of the bad defense the previous two years was because the Mavs were forced to simplify things in order to make THJ a useful fit.
Like Reply
So, THJ has still been in the top 6 to 8 in the rotation during this stretch of great D
Not very astute ^^^^
[-] The following 1 user Likes fifteenth's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
(01-22-2022, 12:48 AM)fifteenth Wrote: So, THJ has still been in the top 6 to 8 in the rotation during this stretch of great D
Top 6-8 is still a bit different than top 3 like he was in previous years. He's only played more than 30 minutes once since coming back, and he's played less than 27 minutes in 7 of the games.
Like Reply
(01-22-2022, 01:00 AM)Branduil Wrote: Top 6-8 is still a bit different than top 3 like he was in previous years. He's only played more than 30 minutes once since coming back, and he's played less than 27 minutes in 7 of the games.

Yep, all true. I was responding to a.post that painted a picture of the team accomplishing something without Timmy. He's actually been part of it.
Not very astute ^^^^
Like Reply
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/j...league-why

Well that was some garbage “reporting”…
Like Reply