Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
2021-2022 MAVS NEWS: 4th in West | WCF loss [ARCHIVED]
Even without THJ, we'd need JRich to opt out to have enough cap space to offer Collins his max.
Like Reply
(07-21-2021, 04:22 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: Even without THJ, we'd need JRich to opt out to have enough cap space to offer Collins his max.

I took this for granted.
So otherwise we have to use a asset to dump him first also?

JC is a everything got unbelieveable wrong after starting good fallback plan.
Like Reply
https://www.eurohoops.net/en/euroleague/...ov-future/
Like Reply
(07-21-2021, 04:18 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: Yep...that tweet was 4 days ago.  Hopefully no hiccups on that hire.

I think they're still trying to buy him out of his contract. That stuff takes time. I remember Luka's buyout with Madrid took over 2 weeks.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • Mavs2021, Tyler
Like Reply
(07-21-2021, 04:21 PM)Mapka Wrote: How would this work? We lose THJ to get enough room under the cap to treaten the Hawks, overpay JC and then gift them assets we don't have?

The Hawks showed how this works themself last year. You pay the player and let the other team chose what they want.
That's also why RFAs usually are the last ones to get an offer, after the good teams with cap striked out on the good UFAs.

The time for a trade was, as always with a RFA at the TDL. 

The only way I see a SnT is if he wants to go to an over the cap team with a big useless contract (or a big enough trade exception).

Bogdonovic might not be the best example.  The only reason Atlanta even got a shot to give an offer sheet was because Milwaukee and Sacramento so obviously broke the rules on what would have been a S&T.  

The outgoing from Milwaukee was to be DiVincenzo, Ilyasova and D. J. Wilson.  The only thing of value there was DiVincenzo.  Collins is at a different level, but RFA deals don't bring back equal value.  If the money is too rich for Atlanta (which may or may not be true...who knows), then the deal has to be enough for Atlanta to agree to move on.  It isn't an auction as Collins gets to pick his team.  It is binary.  Atlanta has to decide to either negotiate a deal, or not.  If not, then they are in the unenviable position of either overpaying (in their eyes or this wouldn't be a conversation) or losing him for nothing.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • StepBackJay
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/shamscharania/status...75648?s=21
Like Reply
Igor seems like an excellent contingency plan for eventually hiring a real head coach, if / when Manager Kidd doesn’t end up working out as well as hoped.
Like Reply
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2928...ill-be-rfa
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(07-22-2021, 06:38 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Bogdonovic might not be the best example.  The only reason Atlanta even got a shot to give an offer sheet was because Milwaukee and Sacramento so obviously broke the rules on what would have been a S&T.  

The outgoing from Milwaukee was to be DiVincenzo, Ilyasova and D. J. Wilson.  The only thing of value there was DiVincenzo.  Collins is at a different level, but RFA deals don't bring back equal value.  If the money is too rich for Atlanta (which may or may not be true...who knows), then the deal has to be enough for Atlanta to agree to move on.  It isn't an auction as Collins gets to pick his team.  It is binary.  Atlanta has to decide to either negotiate a deal, or not.  If not, then they are in the unenviable position of either overpaying (in their eyes or this wouldn't be a conversation) or losing him for nothing.

To me he seems to be a even better example now. He showed both ways- being traded for some change to an over the cap team - or gone for nothing. Of course he can also be matched.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/Rachel__Nichols/stat...9056541696
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • LifeAquatic
Like Reply
Marc Stein said Mosely made a run to bring Shammgod with him to Orlando, but that he is expected to stay in Dallas.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
(07-23-2021, 12:01 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Marc Stein said Mosely made a run to bring Shammgod with him to Orlando, but that he is expected to stay in Dallas.

Yay!
Like Reply
(07-23-2021, 12:01 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Marc Stein said Mosely made a run to bring Shammgod with him to Orlando, but that he is expected to stay in Dallas.

Yay!

[Image: JoyfulThoughtfulDobermanpinscher-max-1mb.gif]
Like Reply
This Igor thing is like waiting for Godot.
Like Reply
(07-23-2021, 01:32 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: This Igor thing is like waiting for Godot.

It is not that easy, I would imagine. Igor actually made summer acquisitions for Fenerbahce, basically built the team according to his liking. Fans are furious he wants to leave now. It is not really wise to have a coach that doesn't want to be there but Fener is not the one that is breaching their obligations.
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
(07-23-2021, 12:58 PM)cow Wrote: Yay!

[Image: JoyfulThoughtfulDobermanpinscher-max-1mb.gif]

I wonder when Shamgod "patented" this move. Because this guy was doing it in Europe some two decades ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wta8OnNF5HU
Like Reply
(07-23-2021, 02:01 PM)omahen Wrote: I wonder when Shamgod "patented" this move. Because this guy was doing it in Europe some two decades ago.

Looks like he played college in 96 and pro starting in 97
Like Reply
(07-23-2021, 02:10 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Looks like he played college in 96 and pro starting in 97

Bodiroga started playing pro in 1990, but I can't say if he had this move then already. He was really famous for it in Europe. One of best european players that never looked at NBA. Sort of like Luka, not really top athlete but great BB IQ and natural born winner.
Like Reply
(07-23-2021, 02:01 PM)omahen Wrote: I wonder when Shamgod "patented" this move. Because this guy was doing it in Europe some two decades ago.

Good old Kings. Obviously they were robbed in 2002 against the Lakers, but how they failed to get Bodiroga to the USA at the time is beyond me. He probably puts them over the top. In 2002 won EuroLeague MVP averaging 20 points on 60/40/80 shooting and gold with Serbia at the World Championships.
Like Reply
(07-23-2021, 02:14 PM)omahen Wrote: Bodiroga started playing pro in 1990, but I can't say if he had this move then already. He was really famous for it in Europe. One of best european players that never looked at NBA. Sort of like Luka, not really top athlete but great BB IQ and natural born winner.

Dragan Kicanovic predates him and according to a wiki, was known to pull of the move prior to his more famous teammate Danko  Cvjeticanin who popularized it.
Like Reply