Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
2021-2022 MAVS NEWS: 4th in West | WCF loss [ARCHIVED]
(06-29-2022, 07:57 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I was thinking what we would have that would interest Philly.    I don't know as much about Thybulle as I probably should.  Only that last year he was almost untradeable and now he appears very gettable.    Does Philly need to move him to offer Tucker the full MLE?   So is it a salary thing?

I am surprised Morey is looking to get off of him.  Again, I know the shooting is a concern, but in theory he looks like a good fit in Philly albeit with the shooting concerns.

Between Payton and Thybulle, it appears we have a type.

Yes, it is a money thing.  Philly is basically a few hundred grand over or under the apron depending on what they do with Joe and Bassey's NG's.  So, they need to drop the amount of money they want to pay Tucker (assuming the price is above the TP-MLE) in order to pay Tucker above the TP-MLE.  If they want to give him the full MLE, they need to drop $9mm plus and cut Joe or Bassey.  Trading out Thybulle and Korkmaz (for instance) would get them there.  They won't want returning salary.

Obviously we'd have to have a TPE to do something like this.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
I don't think TPE makes a lot of sense. It would be too small to be really significant. What I would try to do would be to expend the SnT deal by including the third team. With Brunson salary going out, we can combine with relatively smaller salaries to bring players in. For example:

Dal: Harris, Thybulle
NY: Brunson
Phi: THJ+filler (Philly saves money they need to do for a full MLE to Tucker and gets a wing shooter they need)

Something similar could be done with Brogdon.

Not that I have any hope in Mavs left...
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply
(06-29-2022, 10:23 AM)omahen Wrote: I don't think TPE makes a lot of sense. It would be too small to be really significant. What I would try to do would be to expend the SnT deal by including the third team. With Brunson salary going out, we can combine with relatively smaller salaries to bring players in. For example:

Dal: Harris, Thybulle
NY: Brunson
Phi: THJ+filler (Philly saves money they need to do for a full MLE to Tucker and gets a wing shooter they need)

Something similar could be done with Brogdon.

Not that I have any hope in Mavs left...

Yeah, or even making this a four way deal gets you the 125% trade matching leverage.  Can we take back Thybulle/Korkmaz while sending out Brunson and Green or something like that.  Maybe we send Green to another team and they send a pick to Philly.

I think the key is getting Philly $10mm under the apron so they can offer the full MLE to Tucker.
[-] The following 2 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • ItsGoTime, omahen
Like Reply
(06-29-2022, 02:39 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Funny you talk about revisionist history. 48 hours ago the Knicks were Franchise Trash.

It is called FORWARD PROJECTION. It´s one of the most important tools besides asset management. Cuban has no idea about it. That´s why he threw 90/3 at Lowry last summer, which is basically the opening act to this development of Brunson feeling disrespected.

110/5 (player option) compared to whatever the Knicks will pay for four years is not even that huge a difference (#infamous no state tax), that if Brunson really liked it here, he would have stayed.

The Knicks have been franchise trash for 23 years and signing Jalen Brunson isn't going to fix that. If anything, overpaying Brunson is reminiscent of the same play the Knicks have used time and again to keep them bottom dwellers.

I never said I disagreed that the Mavs mismanaged Brunson as an asset, but it's absolutely revisionist history to think Jalen deserved anything more than 10mil a year before the start of last season. Had the Mavs actually done that last year, you'd probably be screaming mad about how the Mavs always overpay their "boys in blue" and that they're stupid for throwing that kind of money to a short guard that can't play defense who was just played off the court in the playoffs vs. the Clips. etc. etc. 

Two things can be true at once. Mavs should've done something more with Brunson as an asset. They failed to capitalize on that. True. 

Knicks throwing JB a deal in excess of 25 mil is a bad use of assets. True.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 3 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • DallasMaverick, Mavsfan12, mvossman
Like Reply
(06-29-2022, 07:51 AM)Kammrath Wrote: Would you do THJ for Thybulle as a base?

You didn't ask me, but I'll answer. 

I think value wise, this is about right. But, I think with the game where it is right now, shooting is even more important than we realize. I think this is why Thybulle is available in the first place. I think Thybulle is interesting, but I believe supporting Luka with a backcourt rotation comprised of Thybulle, Dinwiddie and Dragic is seriously going to negatively impact Dallas' spacing. Like, a lot. 

Now, if you can get him for cheaper, keep THJ and give yourself the option of not needing to play Thybulle if you feel you can't? Kind of like Ntilikina, only very likely playing more minutes? That would get my attention.
Like Reply
(06-29-2022, 01:33 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: The Knicks have been franchise trash for 23 years and signing Jalen Brunson isn't going to fix that. If anything, overpaying Brunson is reminiscent of the same play the Knicks have used time and again to keep them bottom dwellers.

I never said I disagreed that the Mavs mismanaged Brunson as an asset, but it's absolutely revisionist history to think Jalen deserved anything more than 10mil a year before the start of last season. Had the Mavs actually done that last year, you'd probably be screaming mad about how the Mavs always overpay their "boys in blue" and that they're stupid for throwing that kind of money to a short guard that can't play defense who was just played off the court in the playoffs vs. the Clips. etc. etc. 

Two things can be true at once. Mavs should've done something more with Brunson as an asset. They failed to capitalize on that. True. 

Knicks throwing JB a deal in excess of 25 mil is a bad use of assets. True.

Kinda my sentiments.  Knicks gonna Knick.  Paying JB near max money seems insane to me.  Especially from the knicks perspective where they don't have a star next to him in place.  This is how long term mediocrity happens.  Too good to get premium picks, not good enough to contend.  If the Mavs chose to do it, I would understand.  But the Knicks spending capspace on this is crazy.  We just ran into the wrong team at the wrong time.  JB shouldn't be even in this ballpark.
Like Reply