Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thread Starting and Sacred Cows
If anyone has issues on why something was done you can contact your Admin/Mod of choice...whoever you fell most comfortable talking to instead of junking up a thread...all members of the team are here to help anytime you need it...

Kamm
Killer
Fifteenth
IGT
SleepingHero
Stepbackjay
ClutchDirk
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(06-20-2021, 01:22 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: If anyone has issues on why something was done you can contact your Admin/Mod of choice...whoever you fell most comfortable talking to instead of junking up a thread...all members of the team are here to help anytime you need it...

Kamm
Killer
Fifteenth
IGT
SleepingHero
Stepbackjay
ClutchDirk
You can't contact me anytime you need it, I gots to sleep sometime! Also, count me in the Dan is my Mavs poster hero crew. Most of his stuff is article worthy and more insightful than most insider takes. 

Alright, now we have to figure out who Dan actually is.

Wait, stop that, I'm now derailing a derailing.
Like Reply
You're officially a LEGEND when you're credited with starting a thread without actually having started a thread.
Like Reply
I mean, you were already officially a legend RBWS

I like the irony. Complain about thread starting. End up with a thread attributed to you.  Big Grin

I think I'm going to complain about some great scientific discovery and see what happens.
Like Reply
(06-20-2021, 01:33 PM)fifteenth Wrote: I mean, you were already officially a legend RBWS

We all have roles to play.

Hugs and kisses, 15.
Like Reply
(06-20-2021, 01:22 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: If anyone has issues on why something was done you can contact your Admin/Mod of choice...whoever you fell most comfortable talking to instead of junking up a thread...all members of the team are here to help anytime you need it...

Kamm
Killer
Fifteenth
IGT
SleepingHero
Stepbackjay
ClutchDirk

Look at the different views right there in that list.  Interesting...
Like Reply
(06-20-2021, 01:42 PM)chaparral Wrote: Look at the different views right there in that list.  Interesting...

Yeah, you know, it turns out we chose all humans to watch over the place :-)
Like Reply
(06-20-2021, 12:04 PM)RasheedsBigWhiteSpot Wrote: Honestly though, I think my issue was more with Killer's sudden tendency to beatify certain people as sacred cows.  It started with his "Leave Britney Alone!!!!!!!1!!!" tone about "RC is a good man!!!!!!!!1!!!" (which struck a nerve with me). It continued with "These days, we don't question when people like @DanSchwartzgan start new threads. We just read, say "thanks" and go about our days."  Oh, well, pardon me, Killer.  Please provide me a list of who's above reproach regardless of their perform

Hey man, let me try this again, because in my effort to be funny (obviously unsuccessful) I seem to have made the situation worse. 

Dan is capable of defending himself. People disagree with him all the time, and I can remember times when I've argued with him pretty aggressively. There is no hierarchy here, other than the obvious fact of life that some people's writing gets more attention than others'. 

My point wasn't that some people are above reproach. I can see how the wording of my comment might have come across that way, but that wasn't my goal, sorry. That's my mistake.  

There were two things about your post that I thought needed to be addressed: 

1) So far, we haven't really had a problem with the whole "what is thread-worthy" argument here. It turns out that if nobody complains about this, the good threads have healthy lives and the not so great ones die quickly. We haven't really needed to shame people about their thread choices to accomplish this. The community sorts itself out. 

2) I have been a mod here for months, and I'm honestly having trouble remembering more than 2-3 times when any of us had to do any moderating. People here disagree with great passion REALLY often. But, so far, people are actually pretty nice to each other while disagreeing. I think we like that aspect of our community, and I believe we'd like to keep it that way. Whether you meant it that way or not, your post to Dan came across to me as aggressive in a way we don't often see around here. Your comment read (to me) like you wanted to shame someone for starting a thread, and I felt like I had to say something. Now, it's possible I overreacted about this, but it's not like I edited your post or took some crazy action.

Overall, I guess what I'm saying is that while this community was founded by mostly DB.com people, it isn't DB.com, like at all. Way, way better. Someone like yourself who had to take a certain posture in order to balance out extremes on the other side of the spectrum over the years at that place might just find that such a posture is not needed here. 
Like Reply
(06-20-2021, 12:38 PM)fifteenth Wrote: 2. I think you're wrong about Dan on a bunch of levels. He's not making money doing this, so the comparison to Fish makes no sense. Can you imagine Dan coming up with some trade ideas and then plugging his own greatness and linking to all his past posts? The comparison is silly. He's contributing to the conversation, and he does a great job of it. You don't have to like his posts, or my posts, or anyone elses. Dan, in my opinion, is one of the more humble postres here, and any promotion of his contributions come from the community that appreciates him. 

This sounds interesting to me. I would read it. And might click on the links. Oh, and I like Fish too. It does get a bit redundant reading the same story under 6 different headlines. But in my old age, I’m starting to forget the first time or two.
Like Reply
(06-20-2021, 12:04 PM)RasheedsBigWhiteSpot Wrote: Then I guess you've clearly forgotten my "good thread.  good read." posts for 20+ years on the boards.

The OP was little more than tea leaves reading speculation.  It's the type of stuff you get out of Fish -- a guy who presented himself as some all knowing insider, but was just a hack.  And I called him out on being a hack for decades.  I'm not new to DanSwarzenegger's posts.  Sometimes he posts interesting stuff that actually is a good read.  But this ain't it.  

This board seems content to consolidate all its random ideas to MASSIVE THREADS.  There are a lot of great ideas in there by great posters.  Nonetheless, that's where they are.  But then, on THE BUSIEST MAVS NEWS WEEK IN YEARS where news breaks on the daily, a new thread is stickied amongst all the groundbreaking news.  And what is it?  Oh, just a thread where a guy postulates an illuminati connect-the-dots conspiracy with zero payoff.  So I called him on it.

Honestly though, I think my issue was more with Killer's sudden tendency to beatify certain people as sacred cows.  It started with his "Leave Britney Alone!!!!!!!1!!!" tone about "RC is a good man!!!!!!!!1!!!" (which struck a nerve with me). It continued with "These days, we don't question when people like @DanSchwartzgan start new threads. We just read, say "thanks" and go about our days."  Oh, well, pardon me, Killer.  Please provide me a list of who's above reproach regardless of their performance.  

Gosh.  I like it when a real man posts really pertinent information...and then tells us how good he is, and how bad everybody else is.  Kind of makes my little white spot tingle.  Do you have anything else besides raving spittle?  What a man...
What a poster...
Like Reply
(06-20-2021, 02:13 PM)ballsrchr Wrote: Gosh.  I like it when a real man posts really pertinent information...and then tells us how good he is, and how bad everybody else is.  Kind of makes my little white spot tingle.  Do you have anything else besides raving spittle?  What a man...
What a poster...

this is not cool and not needed

Not much point in either proving and questioning manhood on a for fun internet forum. Probably not much point in real life either.
Like Reply
(06-20-2021, 02:13 PM)ballsrchr Wrote: Gosh.  I like it when a real man posts really pertinent information...and then tells us how good he is, and how bad everybody else is.  Kind of makes my little white spot tingle.  Do you have anything else besides raving spittle?  What a man...
What a poster...

I'm not gonna lie.  You sound hot!!!!!  Any chance you'll whisper that in my ear??  Look, we can take things slow if you want, but you don't sound like the kinda guy who wants that.  Sooooo...

...call me, maybe??
Like Reply
(06-20-2021, 01:42 PM)chaparral Wrote: Look at the different views right there in that list.  Interesting...

Just a collection of folks who give their time for free to help keep this a civil place and as you can tell folks who do not always share the same views on the Mavs but care about keeping this Community a great place to discuss BB and Mavs...
Like Reply
I know I don't really count in the grand scheme of things but I prefer having multiple threads about trades and/or free agents 

It's hard to keep track of everything when all the trade and free agent ideas are in a single spot. So I really liked the Boston thread
Like Reply
(06-20-2021, 03:13 PM)MFFL Wrote: I know I don't really count in the grand scheme of things

I think you're a great contributor, pal. I just looked over and saw that you had only 38 posts and my thought was "wow, I remember this dude, so he must've made the most out of those 38 posts!"

Everyone matters here. Everyone should feel free to write as much or as little as they want.
Like Reply
Some of the mods I am familiar with, and some I am not. But from what I can tell they seem to be good choices. A nice balance and mixture of personalities and opinions. You're not going to please everyone no matter what.
Like Reply
(06-20-2021, 03:36 PM)Silent Mav Wrote: You're not going to please everyone no matter what.

Well, YOU can make ME happy by jumping in and joining! 

Missed you, pal!
Like Reply
(06-20-2021, 03:40 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Well, YOU can make ME happy by jumping in and joining! 

Missed you, pal!

I agree...
Like Reply
(06-20-2021, 03:13 PM)MFFL Wrote: I know I don't really count in the grand scheme of things but I prefer having multiple threads about trades and/or free agents 

It's hard to keep track of everything when all the trade and free agent ideas are in a single spot. So I really liked the Boston thread

I appreciate your contributions and thoughts...if you ever feel like taking a deeper dive into something that is in a mega thread please feel free to start a thread...everyone has that option...some sites like ClutchFans require Mods to approve posts and threads for newer or less active users or even restrict to their top users but we have not chosen to enable that option here due to the quality of posters who come here...

The mega threads were started to give a general discussion place for the more discussed items but most have chosen to not start new threads unless it is big Mavs news and stayed in the mega thread...
Like Reply
No one is stopping anyone from starting individual threads! 

If you feel like a topic is worthy of an individual thread don't be afraid to start one for it. If it's not popping with discussion we'll just move it to the general thread anyways.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply