Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Connecting some Boston Dots (Flexibility)
Public service announcement!

There were 2 topics being discussed in this thread. We decided to split them up so each has their own ability to shine and not muck either topic up!

Thank you for understanding!
Like Reply
Dan touched on some who is/was agent friendly.  Just wondering who was Finley's agent?  And do FO people/Coaches still have agents?
Like Reply
(06-20-2021, 08:51 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Speaking of which, I completely understood your other question.  You can't presume the relationships will remain the same...especially if the Forde firm gives us a strong outsider for the top spot.  That person will bring a whole new set of relationships to the table.  But, it is a trust business and relationships are very important.  Cuban still has relationships (good and bad).  It isn't/wasn't 100% Donnie.  I don't think you can assume the Schwartz thing died with Donnie's departure.  Tyler made a really good point the other night that I intended to respond to regarding Duffy.  I believe the formula is Cuban/Duffy = Bad (at least historically)  It can certainly change with time, but I suspect there will always be some strain there.  Donnie/Duffy = Good.  Carlisle/Duffy = Bad.  Tyler theorized that removing Carlisle from the equation might be more valuable than losing Donnie.  My theory is the one remaining relationship...Cuban may still be Bad.  I don't know for sure.   

Yeah, I guess what I was thinking is this:

With Donnie and Carlisle, lifelong basketball guys, the relationships were SO far-reaching that their cherry picking of who they preferred to work with might've been a positive thing, and so I always appreciated you pointing that stuff out. 

Let's say the next crew is Finley/Bob V, with Mosely as coach. With THEM, working with their friends, bringing in players they've coached before, etc...my thought is that it could be seriously limiting, since they really haven't done anything with anyone yet, and so maybe that kind of thinking (for us) might not be as interesting as it used to be for a while. Maybe I'm overthinking it though.
Like Reply
Let’s just make Mark hire Duffy as the GM, then he doesn’t have to deal with him and his FAs!!!
Like Reply
(06-20-2021, 02:40 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Let’s just make Mark hire Duffy as the GM, then he doesn’t have to deal with him and his FAs!!!

You honestly might be onto something here.

Though there's no way Duffy voluntarily gives up the payday that will be Luka contract commissions.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(06-20-2021, 11:12 AM)omahen Wrote: I don't think there is anything behind Kemba trade and Mavs involvement for several reasons. 

1. Most importantly, making moves before new GM is signed is not a gift of giving him a clean slate to work with imho. It is a bad sign he will be a puppet while others will decide direction. New GM can always do the cleaning up by himself if he thinks this is the best way. But it is not the only possible way and GM should decide which one is. If you want him to be strong and independent. Absolutely nothing should be done before GM is selected, imho.

2. If we forget number 1 and think Mavs still want to do it, it would be a much easier thing to simply do a three team trade. Why separating this into several trades limiting options what you are allowed to do or not (like aggregating contracts).

3. Thompson is reportedly a locker room cancer. Do you want to give this gift to the new GM? Even if Mavs have locker room issues new GM would be dealing with known facts and could act accordingly. This way he might just get a time bomb.

As for the rest I think Boston is still looking to reduce the payroll. They dumped their best center last season to get below tax line. If they want to resign Fournier and stay below tax they still need to reduce salaries. I just don't see them adding players through TPE. I would expect sooner from them tey are willing to pay someone to take Tristan in cap space or for minimum salary back. 

Smart is an interesting option. I have a hunch there is a leadership clash in their lockerroom between Brown and Smart dating since last year bubble. However, Stevens reportedly loves Smart. Brunson for Smart remains an interesting option. Brunson for Boston youngsters like Williams brothers could also made some sense, although I doubt it.

It is quite likely your first sentence is accurate.  That is why the title of the OP is Connecting Dots instead of I Figured This Out For Sure.  With that in mind, I’ll push back gently on some of this.  

1.  Are we sure the new GM will be here long enough to do much more than Cuban’s pre-arranged deals?  Free Agency is six weeks away...yikes.  Kicking the flexibility can down the road (while attempting to look like we are being aggressive) may be the best play if Forde is going to conduct a thorough process.  If the process isn’t thorough, the hire is a puppet anyway and the new GM may be simply executing Cuban’s pre-arranged plan.

2.  True, unless JRich is included...and he might be if Smart is part of the deal.

3.  I’m aware of the issues in Boston.  It is why the relationship with Mosley was brought up in the OP.  I heard, but haven’t seen for myself that Thompson posted or liked something on Twitter that was pro-Mosley getting the job.  I’m fairly certain he is getting traded.  Similar to your point #2, why not include him in the Kemba deal, unless there is already a plan. 

Another possibility is none of this involves KP (and therefore doesn’t involve Horford/Kemba either).  There could still be some interesting synergies with Boston.  I find the way the rest of the Hayward TPE fits an early opt-in on JRich or Powell so closely to be interesting.  I’ll be curious to see what date Boston’s Hayward TPE expires and whether the quick Kemba deal was an attempt to be able to aggregate Horford before the TPE evaporates. Maybe the Mosley/Thompson relationship means nothing.  Or, maybe that relationship is the key to getting Smart since our new (maybe) Head Coach can vouch for him
Like Reply
(06-20-2021, 10:28 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I heard, but haven’t seen for myself that Thompson posted or liked something on Twitter that was pro-Mosley getting the job.

https://twitter.com/RealTristan13/status...2584283140
Like Reply
(06-20-2021, 10:28 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: 1.  Are we sure the new GM will be here long enough to do much more than Cuban’s pre-arranged deals?  Free Agency is six weeks away...yikes.  Kicking the flexibility can down the road (while attempting to look like we are being aggressive) may be the best play if Forde is going to conduct a thorough process.  If the process isn’t thorough, the hire is a puppet anyway and the new GM may be simply executing Cuban’s pre-arranged plan.

If we have to go through the full-scale Forde process, we're nearly as screwed as we would be with a puppet being hired. Money-whip Ujiri and be done with it. Preferably by Wednesday this week.
Like Reply
(06-20-2021, 01:20 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Public service announcement!

There were 2 topics being discussed in this thread. We decided to split them up so each has their own ability to shine and not muck either topic up!

Thank you for understanding!

?

Found it.  Never mind.  Sorry some of you guys had to waste your time on that.  Surely we have better things to talk about...like trading for Ben Simmons.  I’m thinking of doing a new thread Smile
Like Reply
(06-20-2021, 10:38 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: ?

Found it.  Never mind.  Sorry some of you guys had to waste your time on that.  Surely we have better things to talk about...like trading for Ben Simmons.  I’m thinking of doing a new thread Smile

KP for Simmons seems good to me.
Like Reply
(06-20-2021, 10:28 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: There could still be some interesting synergies with Boston.

Totally agree about this one. I just don't think Mavs are (will be) involved in Kemba/Horford trade in anyway.
Like Reply
We are not worthy! Thanks for putting in such hard work on this one.
Thank you Donnie.
Like Reply