Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NEWS: Dirk Joining the Mavs Front Office as a Special Advisor
Is the Dirk and Finley group but together to help the Consulting firm or run the search?
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 03:14 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: He came in the picture so Cuban doesn't look like a dipshit.

Total PR move. Mavs don't need a press release for Cuban to get Dirk's opinion. 

That Cuban thinks it's necessary to throw down his best chip now tells me this thing was headed in the wrong direction fast.
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 03:21 PM)chaparral Wrote: Is the Dirk and Finley group but together to help the Consulting firm or run the search?

Hopefully to give Cuban a wake up call:

"Mark, you were the most beloved owner in the league.  Now everyone from Mavs fans to insiders to other front offices are saying you need to step aside and let a professional run the organization.  If you keep heading down this path, Mavs nation is going to turn on you."
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 03:21 PM)chaparral Wrote: Is the Dirk and Finley group but together to help the Consulting firm or run the search?

To help express the interests and desires of the franchise to the consulting firm. So Forde Spotsology wants to match GM to the organization, so Fin and Dirk are there to help express what the organization wants to be and is, so that Forde can find the best match.
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 03:22 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: Total PR move. Mavs don't need a press release for Cuban to get Dirk's opinion. 

That Cuban thinks it's necessary to throw down his best chip now tells me this thing was headed in the wrong direction fast.

The relatively good news is this is all easily fixable.  Fire Bob.  Hire someone a competent GM and let them run the team.  Will that happens?  Who knows.  Sometimes smart people make the simplest of things really difficult.

It isn't how any of us envisioned it, but a lot of were thinking it was time for a regime change.  This could still turn out as a major positive even if the Mavs have tripped all over themselves to get here.
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 03:16 PM)cow Wrote: Skip really likes RC.

Just like you shouldn't only listen to naysayers, you also shouldn't listen to the ones that give him praise.  Rick has a lot of warts.  That doesn't take away from what he has accomplished or diminish his bball IQ.

Never stated that RC is without fault but it is pointless to quote a guy that is close to Rondo. We all know how it ended and based on the teams response they blamed Rondo as well.
RC with a more player friendly personality would probably be the goat coach but that´s not the case. All about the x´s and o´s. One of the greatest basketball minds ever. Nearly impossible to replace the knowledge and experience. Just needs one or two easy going and player friendly assistants like Mosley next to him. RC can be stubborn but when it mattered (Kidd, Doncic) he went out of his way to make it work.
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 03:24 PM)cow Wrote: The relatively good news is this is all easily fixable.  Fire Bob.  Hire someone a competent GM and let them run the team.  Will that happens?  Who knows.  Sometimes smart people make the simplest of things really difficult.

It isn't how any of us envisioned it, but a lot of were thinking it was time for a regime change.  This could still turn out as a major positive even if the Mavs have tripped all over themselves to get here.

Yes, Cubes has to say publicly that Bob will not be back with the Mavs.  Hope this is the next press release...
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 03:25 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Never stated that RC is without fault but it is pointless to quote a guy that is close to Rondo. We all know how it ended and based on the teams response they blamed Rondo as well.
RC with a more player friendly personality would probably be the goat coach but that´s not the case. All about the x´s and o´s. One of the greatest basketball minds ever. Nearly impossible to replace the knowledge and experience. Just needs one or two easy going and player friendly assistants like Mosley next to him. RC can be stubborn but when it mattered (Kidd, Doncic) he went out of his way to make it work.

He should have put more effort into Rondo.  Rondo shares a lot of the blame.  Rick should too.  Those are the type of trades you need to have work.  Rondo is still contributing to teams to this day.  And it isn't just Rondo.  He had issues with Kidd, Collinson, DSJ, Delon, Luka, JRich, KP and probably another half dozen I'm forgetting.  And I don't consider his relationship with Doncic working.  He played hard ass and failed and then just let Luka go yolo when the kid needs a coach.  

I wouldn't come to Dallas as a free agent based on their track record of free agents.  You run the risk of taking a severe reputation risk and hampering your future earnings.
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 03:31 PM)cow Wrote: I wouldn't come to Dallas as a free agent based on their track record of free agents.  You run the risk of taking a severe reputation risk and hampering your future earnings.
Might depend on what your other options were. After all, you might spend a couple seasons developing your game and move on to greener pastures. That has also been known to occur. Just to complete the picture.
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 03:35 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Might depend on what your other options were. After all, you might spend a couple seasons developing your game and move on to greener pastures. That has also been known to occur. Just to complete the picture.

Rick's great at scrap heap (B Wright, Aminu, Mahinmi) guys and turning them around which makes it even more maddening.  But then you have someone like KP.  What kind of contract would he get right now if he were a free agent?

I'm not saying Rick is all bad, far from it.  I just think this change is overdue, even if it was his decision.
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 03:25 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Never stated that RC is without fault but it is pointless to quote a guy that is close to Rondo. We all know how it ended and based on the teams response they blamed Rondo as well.

Yeah well duh. Cause Carlisle knew those were two battles, he couldn´t win. He was the black knight.

[Image: Call_It_A_Draw_Template_3.jpg]

What do you think would have happened, if he pulled Luka during a play-off game for a backcourt violation and yelled at him like that? He´d be lucky to make it out of the arena as the head coach, let alone to the next game.
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 03:31 PM)cow Wrote: He should have put more effort into Rondo.  Rondo shares a lot of the blame.  Rick should too.  Those are the type of trades you need to have work.  Rondo is still contributing to teams to this day.  And it isn't just Rondo.  He had issues with Kidd, Collinson, DSJ, Delon, Luka, JRich, KP and probably another half dozen I'm forgetting.  And I don't consider his relationship with Doncic working.  He played hard ass and failed and then just let Luka go yolo when the kid needs a coach.  

I wouldn't come to Dallas as a free agent based on their track record of free agents.  You run the risk of taking a severe reputation risk and hampering your future earnings.

As I said. He isn´t without fault but tried to make it work when it mattered. Kidd and RC came to an agreement and actually had a good relationship in the following years. Rondo went to the Kings and put up empty numbers on a bad team. Jumped from team to team. Has been a solid rotation player in the last few years after he was humbled and adjusted his game (learned to shoot, plays within the scheme). Not really sure what RC could have done in the DSJ, Richardson and Wright situation. One wasn´t happy about his role as the secondary playmaker next to Luka. The other two simply underperformed and at some point RC pulled the plug and benched them.

Doncic case is interesting. In his rookie season he clearly sided with Luka over DSJ. In the 2nd season he basically gave him all the freedom he wanted. I think it was reported that it isn´t about the way RC treats Luka. It´s about RC and other players. That´s a real concern and I would love to get more information on the topic.

It´s not like he is the only coach that clashed with players. Happens to all of them. Even the most player friendly ones. We just tend to focus on the Mavs.

Don´t think the free agent situation is as easy. Just as many examples of players that increased their value under RC.

I am obvious biased and maybe the situation wasn´t salvageable. Just think that it will be really hard to replace his contribution.
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 03:38 PM)cow Wrote: Rick's great at scrap heap (B Wright, Aminu, Mahinmi) guys and turning them around which makes it even more maddening.  But then you have someone like KP.  What kind of contract would he get right now if he were a free agent?

Sorry, not understanding how that relates to your point. 

I'm not saying Rick is all bad, far from it.  I just think this change is overdue, even if it was his decision.

I have wondered over the years why Rick stayed here so long after the title, through all the mediocre and rebuilding rosters, when he seemed pretty clearly overqualified for the season-by-season jobs. It seems really weird to me that he went through all that, and then left just when things were looking up, at least on paper. I'm not saying that the change is necessarily a bad thing. The way it has all gone down has caused me some concern, I admit. 
Like Reply
KP coming out of New York was going to get a max contract, even with his injury history.  I think his value playing in Dallas has tanked.  If he were a free agent today, what type of contract do you think he'd get?  There is a reason that KP wants out.  His basketball legacy and future earnings are on the line.  Playing in Dallas has probably cut his value in half.  And while injuries play a part, they aren't the whole story.  If I'm another top end player, I probably look at that situation and cross Dallas off of the places I want to play.  That's my point.
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 03:58 PM)cow Wrote: KP coming out of New York was going to get a max contract, even with his injury history.  I think his value playing in Dallas has tanked.  If he were a free agent today, what type of contract do you think he'd get?  There is a reason that KP wants out.  His basketball legacy and future earnings are on the line.  Playing in Dallas has probably cut his value in half.  And while injuries play a part, they aren't the whole story.  If I'm another top end player, I probably look at that situation and cross Dallas off of the places I want to play.  That's my point.

Thanks for the clarification, cow. 

To the extent that KP's value has decreased, I see that as being almost solely due to his injury history and the seeming deleterious effect on his mobility. If the issue is just that he isn't being used in a manner to maximize his impact, I think other teams are usually smart enough to get that, and will evaluate him as he would be used in their systems.  

Free agents will continue to come or not come to Dallas, as the case may be. To the extent some of them cross Dallas off their lists, I don't think it will be because KP's value may have decreased since he left NY. I could be wrong, of course.

There are a lot of reasons why top-end free agents make one choice or another. If they haven't been coming because they didn't want to play for Carlisle, I guess we'll find that out. Actually, outside of the glamour markets, I don't think there is a team that is a big free agent destination. Crazy as it seems, I just don't think most of these guys' dreams are to go live/work in Dallas. Wrong as that is, no doubt.
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 03:14 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: Dirk's got a family now.  He aint spending 3 months in Germany with KP.

He came in the picture so Cuban doesn't look like a dipshit.

Not sure if this is in response to me, I only asked for 3 weeks!

Sick
Thank you Donnie.
Like Reply
Bob and Corby are talking about this on the air right now. Both seem to believe it’s a transparent PR move. Making Dirk a “shield” of sorts.
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 04:06 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Thanks for the clarification, cow. 

To the extent that KP's value has decreased, I see that as being almost solely due to his injury history and the seeming deleterious effect on his mobility. If the issue is just that he isn't being used in a manner to maximize his impact, I think other teams are usually smart enough to get that, and will evaluate him as he would be used in their systems.  

Free agents will continue to come or not come to Dallas, as the case may be. To the extent some of them cross Dallas off their lists, I don't think it will be because KP's value may have decreased since he left NY. I could be wrong, of course.

Injuries play their part yes, but KP is playing with no confidence and that has a lot to do with how he was coached and who he played with.  He certainly gets blame too.  I fully believe he can become the player the league so potential in from his New York days and who we saw flashes of with our own eyes, but if we trade him, we are being taken to the woodshed on value. 

A lot will depend on what happens next, but I do think Dallas could be a much more attractive destination with Carlisle and Donnie out of the picture.  Cuban is still an issue with some of his relationship with agents and his lack of loyalty to all but a very select few players.
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 03:58 PM)cow Wrote: KP coming out of New York was going to get a max contract, even with his injury history.  I think his value playing in Dallas has tanked.  If he were a free agent today, what type of contract do you think he'd get?  There is a reason that KP wants out.  His basketball legacy and future earnings are on the line.  Playing in Dallas has probably cut his value in half.  And while injuries play a part, they aren't the whole story.  If I'm another top end player, I probably look at that situation and cross Dallas off of the places I want to play.  That's my point.

KP looked better than ever prior to the 2nd injury. He wasn´t happy with his role but it´s not like he was a low maintenance guy in NY. Don´t think you can blame the coaches or even the GM for his decline. He simply wasn´t good. Of course that is going to tank his value. What are the options. Feature KP and risk a worse record. Luka probably won´t like that. Not an option. Go with the Mavs approach and limit his role. That´s basically the middle ground. Bench him. Let him recover and hope that he can improve when he comes back. KP won´t like that. He thinks he is ready to be a star player.

In hindsight it is easy to say that the Mavs panicked and rushed his return. Would he have more value if he had missed another season but looked like an allstar when he last played?
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 04:12 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Bob and Corby are talking about this on the air right now. Both seem to believe it’s a transparent PR move. Making Dirk a “shield” of sorts.

Really hope that Dirk knows what he is getting into. He is putting his reputation on the line to help the Mavs.
Like Reply