Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NEWS: Dirk Joining the Mavs Front Office as a Special Advisor
(06-18-2021, 01:49 PM)CountDirkula Wrote: Porzingis...I think his lack of results really spelled the demise of Donnie Nelson and Rick Carlisle. 

I think this is astute, and a shockingly under discussed part of this news cycle. 

The organization currently has a lot of very costly egg on its face because of the KP debacle, and how they deal with it moving forward will have immeasurable influence on whether or not this era will ultimately be successful. It's a very bad time to have disagreement in the front office about how to proceed, so for that reason, I'm glad this change is happening, even if I'm not thrilled about how that disagreement happened in the first place. 

I just wish I was as confident as some that the next situation will be better.
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 12:40 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I wonder who the select group of staff members included. The two main guys are gone and the remaining long tenured staff members probably worked for/with them.
Yes, that would be interesting to know. 

I don't like to rain on the parade, but this looks like the same floundering approach as usual. 

They fire Donnie, announce they are hiring a search firm to coordinate the effort to find a replacement. Rick quits. Now they announce that Dirk, who as far as we know, knows nothing about how to search for a new president, will assist in the search. Finley is a candidate for the job, yet he is included in the meeting on searching for candidates. 

I get why Mark might want to gather his besties around him to help him weather the storm. And why he would welcome Dirk's face as a PR move, to help counter the negative publicity. But it just comes across as more of the same hit-or-miss, unorganized, small-time approach to what ought to be a straightforward talent search. It might have been better if they had just announced Dirk's involvement for fan purposes, and not even mentioned the meeting and who was at it.
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 01:49 PM)CountDirkula Wrote: I will give my 2 cents.   I think Luka's contract extension brought all of this to light.   It turned the heat up on how the Mavericks plan to operate in the future.   In my opinion the Maverick's offense relies to much on Luka.   It's like spread the floor and let Luka operate.  Since Luka is one helluva player this works quite often, but in a 7 game playoff, teams find a way to lower the effectiveness of this.   It does not take a coaching genius to just hand the ball to Luka.  Having no backup strategy and game plan shows a deficiency in either the makeup of the team (the GM's fault),  or the coaching of the team (Rick Carlisle's fault).  Porzingis seemed to lose his effectiveness and that points to Carlisle and Luka ignoring him.   I think he was not aggressive and maybe he was even afraid of getting hurt, but more than anything else, I think his lack of results really spelled the demise of Donnie Nelson and Rick Carlisle.   I am wondering if the players stopped listening to the coach.   Most NBA coaches will tell you that a head coaching job has an expiration date.    You would hope that Luka and Porzingis would value Dirk's opinion on things.  He is a former MVP who has a track record and special insight into how the Mavs have operated the last 20 years.    I hope Dirk listens to them and the Mavs can pick a highly qualified GM and coach.

We've been saying this since Luka's rookie season. Carlisle has little to no control on this team. DAJ/Wes/DSJ trio tried to publicly block Luka from the throne but luckily Cuban had the vision to see Luka was something special and shipped those traitors out of town asap. 

The trick now is balancing Luka's power within the system but again Carlisle had no idea how to reel him in on/off the floor as you alluded to. Listening to the Lowe Post podcast, there are damning things said about Carlisle and that was before the news of his resignation (fired behind the scenes). I am more confident than ever Cuban made the right move and real MFFL's should be applauding his gusto. 

A caveat also mentioned on the Lowe Post podcast is that Luka was allowed to do whatever the **** he wanted in Carlisle's "system." Is that Harden/Westbrook style of play what he wants or he is more open to a more evenly distributed type of system? If it is the former, maybe the problem is Luka but we won't know until the new regime steps in. 

Lastly, I don't think Dirk would have jumped in to help if the situation was as much of a dumpster fire as some "fans" think it has become. IMO, Dirk sees the potential of something special brewing and wants to be a part of it. Remember, he watches the Mavs games too; if armchair GM's like us can see the problem with Carlisle/Donnie, he sees it too!
Like Reply
No disrespect to the GOAT, but I don´t think Dirk has a classic front office role here, because it´s not in his nature to confront and challenge Cuban´s opinion in a big way. I don´t think that´s in his personality.

That being said I do think Dirk could play a huge role in turning this franchise around, IF the new GM makes a definite decision to keep Porzingis.

To me the reason Porzingis wanted to be a Maverick is Dirk. Not Cuban, not Carlisle, not Donnie, not Luka, not getting away from New York. DIRK!

When you watch the practice video from Africa, you can tell Kristaps looks up to Dirk. You also notice that Porzingis always has some party shit happening in the off-season. Brawls, rape allegations, boat parties with plastic bimbos. The guy needs an off-season intervention.

Let him spend the summer with Dirk/Holger in Dallas/Germany for some hard practices and life lessons. Take him away from the spotlight and put him in some quiet different family environment. That way you can also learn how committed Porzingis truly is to being that #2 guy or whether you have to hit the emergency trade button. 

That´s the role Dirk should have. To mentor Kristaps.
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 02:26 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: That´s the role Dirk should have. To mentor Kristaps.

I agree that this is the role that makes the most sense for Dirk, and the one most likely to actually move the needle. I think it might be too late for that, but it's certainly worth a try.
Like Reply
Good call from Kendrick Perkins when the whole world laughed at him. Dude is a winner and champion. 

https://twitter.com/KendrickPerkins/stat...5791665153
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 02:27 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I think it might be too late for that

My thoughts.  This seems like one of those situations where a fresh start apart is best for all parties involved.
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 02:08 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: Lastly, I don't think Dirk would have jumped in to help if the situation was as much of a dumpster fire as some "fans" think it has become
Arguably, Dirk might have been moved to jump in and help precisely because he saw a dumpster fire.

(06-18-2021, 02:26 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Let him spend the summer with Dirk/Holger in Dallas/Germany for some hard practices and life lessons. Take him away from the spotlight and put him in some quiet different family environment. That way you can also learn how committed Porzingis truly is to being that #2 guy or whether you have to hit the emergency trade button. 

That´s the role Dirk should have. To mentor Kristaps.
Your argument that Dirk could help in that way makes sense. 

Do we have any indication that Dirk is willing to take that on? So far, he has resisted any kind of day-to-day type role.
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 02:33 PM)cow Wrote: This seems like one of those situations where a fresh start apart is best for all parties involved.

Well, let's hope so. 

I am the founder of the "trade KP" club and even I realize that it's BETTER if he ultimately becomes the player and fit they thought they were trading for. Any path that leads there is a good one, as long as it's really possible. I hope it is.
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 02:33 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Arguably, Dirk might have been moved to jump in and help precisely because he saw a dumpster fire.

Your argument that Dirk could help in that way makes sense. 

Do we have any indication that Dirk is willing to take that on? So far, he has resisted any kind of day-to-day type role.

No we don´t. Which makes this consultant angle look like a PR gimmick and a favour. So far Dirk has shown no indication of being interested in getting back into basketball, especially in a full-time FO/coaching capacity.

Although I think I have seen a recent interview, where he envisioned a future role in basketball, exactly like I outlined with Porzingis. It means a limited and planned time commitment of say 6-8 weeks and Dirk is "free" again. Maybe Jessica would be happy to get the Big German out of the house a little, too.  Big Grin
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 02:01 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: they announce that Dirk, who as far as we know, knows nothing about how to search for a new president, will assist in the search. 

I hear Dirk is beginning his search in Flower Mound..
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 01:55 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I think this is astute

[Image: a6155bc18be71c6a1093a04a7f045d20.gif]
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 02:43 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: No we don´t. Which makes this consultant angle look like a PR gimmick and a favour. So far Dirk has shown no indication of being interested in getting back into basketball, especially in a full-time FO/coaching capacity.

Although I think I have seen a recent interview, where he envisioned a future role in basketball, exactly like I outlined with Porzingis. It means a limited and planned time commitment of say 6-8 weeks and Dirk is "free" again. Maybe Jessica would be happy to get the Big German out of the house a little, too.  Big Grin

Yes, Dirk has said before that, if he gets back into basketball, he could envision himself as working with big men on a limited basis. Just don't think he has indicated that he is ready to get back into it, as you say. I think the statements on his new role as Special Advisor mentioned that he would not be involved on a day-to-day basis. 

But, you never can tell. No comment on the Jessica angle, lol.
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 02:32 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: Good call from Kendrick Perkins when the whole world laughed at him. Dude is a winner and champion. 

This gives me hope for Kristaps. A new GM/coach is the next best thing to a new situation. 

And I really really hope Kristaps visits Germany this summer and spends time with Dirk and Holger. 3 weeks is all I ask!
Thank you Donnie.
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 03:04 PM)DallasBasketball Wrote: This gives me hope for Kristaps. A new GM/coach is the next best thing to a new situation. 

And I really really hope Kristaps visits Germany this summer and spends time with Dirk and Holger. 3 weeks is all I ask!

KP's game is #3 on my lists of worries about him trailing far behind his chemistry with Luka and his health.
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 02:32 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: Good call from Kendrick Perkins when the whole world laughed at him. Dude is a winner and champion. 

Head of the Rajon Rondo fan club. A player that not only clashed with RC.  A locker room with vets like Chandler, Barea, Jefferson, Stoudemire and Nowitzki decided not to give him a playoff share because he quit on the the team.
Dear god. Who is next on the look RC is a terrible coach broadcast. Skip Bayless? Rashad Philips?
Take a look around and see what other former players like Chandler, Jefferson or Marion stated.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1405971326150533123
Like Reply
Dirk's got a family now.  He aint spending 3 months in Germany with KP.

He came in the picture so Cuban doesn't look like a dipshit.
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 03:14 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: Dirk's got a family now.  He aint spending 3 months in Germany with KP.

He came in the picture so Cuban doesn't look like a dipshit.

Blunt, and maybe a little reductive, but ultimately accurate, I think.
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 03:12 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Head of the Rajon Rondo fan club. A player that not only clashed with RC.  A locker room with vets like Chandler, Barea, Jefferson, Stoudemire and Nowitzki decided not to give him a playoff share because he quit on the the team.
Dear god. Who is next on the look RC is a terrible coach broadcast. Skip Bayless? Rashad Philips?
Take a look around and see what other former players like Chandler, Jefferson or Marion stated.

Skip really likes RC.

Just like you shouldn't only listen to naysayers, you also shouldn't listen to the ones that give him praise.  Rick has a lot of warts.  That doesn't take away from what he has accomplished or diminish his bball IQ.
Like Reply