Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NEWS: Dirk Joining the Mavs Front Office as a Special Advisor
(06-18-2021, 05:24 PM)Kammrath Wrote: My answer at this point: 

POWER

I think Cuban gave RC lots of power and say in the organization over all sorts of things, including GM type decisions. I think that power was ratcheted back over the last couple years and Cuban informed RC that it was going to be ratcheted back even further while also giving a future GM the power to decide his coaching fate. That is my best guess of WHY RC bailed now and didn't before.

Always thought that it was the complete opposite but we are all guessing. Just as likely that you are right. Looking at the rosters of the last few seasons nothing screams RC to me. Lost ballhandling (RC used to run 2-3 ballhandlers on the floor at the same time). Added non shooting guards and wings.
We also know that he never wanted Rondo but Donnie/Mark/Dirk pushed for it.
Plenty of reasons for RC to leave now. A friend of him was just fired by the organization. According to the reports his position was in doubt anyway. And we cannot forget the reports about Voulgaris and his role. I think that was the biggest issue for both Donnie and Rick. If Voulgaris really made rotation decisions and started to give instructions from the bench the headcoach is a puppet as well. No need to continue with the farce. We saw the resulting power struggle. Donnie lost. Was only a matter of time before RC would have faced a similar situation. He decided to move on and left.
Well...That´s my most likely scenario.
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 05:50 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: If Voulgaris really made rotation decisions and started to give instructions from the bench the headcoach is a puppet as well. No need to continue with the farce. We saw the resulting power struggle. Donnie lost. Was only a matter of time before RC would have faced a similar situation.

How Cuban broached this strategy change and managed all people involved I think is very critical. Imagine you are a successful manager of a business and the owner hires a consultant to come in and tell you what to do. At first you listen to them and take their input and do your best, possibly even excel, but before even the owner can take notice, the consultant has meddled in every possible decision and structure of the organization. When you go to the owner about how you are upset at the consultants meddling, he ignores or disregards your concerns and keeps the status quo he implemented, while the results may not clearly show it this consultant is completely ruining the culture and team structure and turning his role into one of the greatest possible self importance. Then the business cycle goes against you and it’s not the consultant who bears any responsibility it’s only you. Hummm. Cubes where you at? Is this what you let happen on your watch?
Thank you Donnie.
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 05:45 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Absolutely, and that's what makes this such a valuable card for Cuban to play at this, specific moment in time. 

I'm not even saying it's the wrong thing to do. Dirk might actually help!

I truly believe that Dirk is one of the few people that no matter what Cuban will listen to. Dirk doesn't sugar coat things. He's blunt and tells it like it is.

I mean heck Dirk used to tell benchwarmers after a bad game "You should learn chinese because you'll be in china soon".

Which is freaking hilarious but also ruthless as all hell. 

I think Dirk's role will be when the outside firm comes with their recommendations, he's going to sit down with Cuban and tell him which candidate is the best. And that's probably all that's needed for Cuban to not revert back to his old ways (I hope).
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Oh, come on, everyone. It's pretty transparent what this is.
Media and fans: "So, fired Bob yet?"
Cubes: "Oh, look, it's Dirk! He's going to be a special analyst/consultant for me now."
Cubes: "It's Dirk! You're paying attention to the wrong consultant!"

Dirk's success or failure in this role depends on two simple things - Does he tell Cubes in no uncertain terms to fire Bob? And then does Cuban follow through and do just that? Yes to both, success. No to either, epic fail. 

We need to bring in a real GM, not a yes man. We all already saw the Woj report that that isn't happening with Bob on the payroll, no way, no how.
Like Reply
FTC, LTL

Maybe Cuban should ask Phil Jackson for advice on how to build around Luka.  He interviewed Steve Kerr which seems smart and his history with Kristaps can be viewed as a positive, not a negative, for this particular situation.
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 08:52 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Oh, come on, everyone. It's pretty transparent what this is.
Cubes: "Oh, look, it's Dirk! He's going to be a special analyst/consultant for me now."
Cubes: "It's Dirk! You're paying attention to the wrong consultant!"

Dirk's success or failure in this role depends on two simple things - Does he tell Cubes in no uncertain terms to fire Bob? And then does Cuban follow through and do just that? Yes to both, success. No to either, epic fail. 

We need to bring in a real GM, not a yes man. We all already saw the Woj report that that isn't happening with Bob on the payroll, no way, no how.

You can't fire someone who's contract is set to expire (unless you're a bad business man).

I'd be surprised if Bob is back. Not saying it's impossible but just highly doubt it.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply