Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
NEWS: RC out | Kidd hired as head coach & assembling staff
(06-22-2021, 01:39 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I think I agree largely with your overall main point that Mike Dantoni led teams typically underperform given their expectations in the playoffs, but I do also think calling his playstyle "horrible" for playoff basketball is a step too far.

With PHX it seemed like he didn't lean into his run'n'gun style enough, by running plodding centers and never truly embracing small ball. NYK never had a chance at any point and I found it remarkable he even led them to the playoffs anyways.

His brief stop in tinsel town found his only playoff appearance tainted by a Kobe season ending injury, dooming it from the start. 

In HOU he was apart of the only team that truly gave the Warriors super team a run for their money and if it wasn't for a CP3 injury they could've won it all. 

I know you're probably thinking that all I'm doing is making excuses, and to a point I am. But I'm also trying to provide context as well. In PHX he made it to the WCF but was bested by Dirk and Co. In HOU he also made it to the WCF and was bested (barely) by what was probably the best team of all time. 

Hard to fault him for that. He's still been a superbly winning coach for a long time in the NBA. The Mavs could do a lot worse than him. 

And another thing to think about, imagine what MDA could do with Luka offensively. Luka basically encompasses all the dream attributes MDA has wanted for 20 years, except has none of the draw backs of Nash and Harden (size and general ball hogging).

And playing defence is a lost case in this league whatever you do. So his all-offence approach was never more up-to-date.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: NEWS: RC has stepped down in DAL - by Tyler - 06-17-2021, 03:25 PM
RE: NEWS: RC has stepped down in DAL - by omahen - 06-17-2021, 03:31 PM
RE: NEWS: RC out in DAL | Mosley favorite? | new GM before coach hire - by Mapka - 06-22-2021, 11:02 PM