Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
NEWS: RC out | Kidd hired as head coach & assembling staff
(06-19-2021, 03:05 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: https://twitter.com/dalton_trigg/status/...25861?s=21

Yeah if not a single current player chimes in on social media to thank Rick and wish him well......then yeah, yikes. It must have been BAD in that lockerroom this year.
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 11:16 PM)MFFL Wrote: I saw this

RC yells at Salah "You've got two (expletive) points, get the (expletive) out of here."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSYxda4qmGA

The full story with an apology by RC 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nb...059481001/

And yet, Salah stayed here for 3 or 4  years, when he could easily returned for big pay check with RM (even if less money)
Why would he remains for so long if the coach was belittling him? He is known to have a strong character too btw. big name in African/Arab basketball and for his national team. 

(06-19-2021, 03:05 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Oh also: 

https://twitter.com/dalton_trigg/status/...25861?s=21

Has anyone in the team said anything on social media about the whole fiasco? I don't remember them thanking Donnie either.
Maybe they were told to stfu, at least from their agents, maybe they don't want to get in the middle of the whole fiasco. Most of our guys aren't even that active on social media
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 11:44 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: When I think of bad behavior in the context of a competitive group activity, I think of people not matching the commitment and sacrifice levels of their teammates. Example: James Harden whining and meddling to get his way in Houston for years, including making idiotic roster demands, only to demand a trade to a ready made contender when HIS moves don't work out. I think THAT is what a "douche" looks like. 

Someone whose interaction style differs from what you prefer in competitive situations? Nah, I don't get into a twist about that, as long as they're willing to do ANYTHING in order to win. Carlisle has always been a worker - very consistent about holding people accountable to "the standard" (which is God in a competitive situation, imo). I'm sure there are snapshots of any great coach's style that, when viewed without the proper context, seem rough to some. 

James Harden had a point though. He soldiered on until the owner went cheap, his GM quit, and his coach quit

Carlisle was not consistent. There never was an example of him treating Dirk like shit. Why? Because RC would have been fired the next day. So he chooses WHEN to let his "competitive" nature nature run free. And since Carlisle QUIT when the situation worsened, doesn't that make him EXACTLY like Harden

(06-19-2021, 07:23 AM)khaled1987 Wrote: And yet, Salah stayed here for 3 or 4  years, when he could easily returned for big pay check with RM (even if less money)
Why would he remains for so long if the coach was belittling him? He is known to have a strong character too btw. big name in African/Arab basketball and for his national team. 

Just because someone tolerates abuse doesn't mean there wasn't abuse

Some people have dreams (like to play in the NBA) and are willing to tolerate
Like Reply
I think there is plenty of room in here to agree with KL AND Kamm. There’s little need to totally tear RC down while pointing out the negatives of his tenure. On the flip side, there CAN be reason to point out flaws that you hope are not in the new HC while also not missing out on any more than 80%(?) of the X’s n O’s, which that gap can hopefully be bridged with assistants and Luka.

Like I said, time will tell. RC was the hero we needed for the 2011 team. Maybe he isn’t the hero we want now?
Like Reply
I also get some posters need to totally tear down RC after getting bombarded most any time an attempt was made to try and flesh out his flaws from the pro-RC brigade.

However, the truth will never lie at either extremes!
Like Reply
(06-19-2021, 07:27 AM)MFFL Wrote: Just because someone tolerates abuse doesn't mean there wasn't abuse

Some people have dreams (like to play in the NBA) and are willing to tolerate
RC had a dream that Salah was better than he is too!

I know the socially correct way to talk about someone’s thoughts and dreams is not to tear them down in this day and age, when does reality get to play a part in that dream?
Like Reply
(06-19-2021, 07:23 AM)khaled1987 Wrote: Has anyone in the team said anything on social media about the whole fiasco? I don't remember them thanking Donnie either.
Maybe they were told to stfu, at least from their agents, maybe they don't want to get in the middle of the whole fiasco. Most of our guys aren't even that active on social media

It's rare for players to ever make a comment on social media regarding a GM change. Too many rings removed from who they interact with on a daily basis. Even still Luka still said someone about Donnie and how he appreciated him. 

Coaches are different. Usually you'll have players thank the coach for their service and say something along the lines of "it didn't work out but he's still a great coach blah blah blah".

Yet...not a single one of our guys said ANYTHING regarding RC leaving. Not 1. That is weird. The Mavs instagram posted a thank you to RC, and from what I can tell only Jalen Brunson liked it. Makes me think the players really did tune RC out near the end and were tired of dealing with him.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(06-17-2021, 05:04 PM)JamesConway Wrote: No, just a fun meme. I don’t think Luka really is behind this. 

But I am seriously that nobody photoshopped Rick‘s and Donnies head on Roman Reigns and Dean Ambrose getting the chair from heel turned Seth Rollins / Luka lol.

Sorry for the delay

https://twitter.com/TheDailyMav/status/1...1075490816
Like Reply
(06-19-2021, 07:23 AM)khaled1987 Wrote: Has anyone in the team said anything on social media about the whole fiasco? I don't remember them thanking Donnie either.

Wow! Great point! Yikes!
Like Reply
(06-19-2021, 10:11 AM)Dirk Diggler Wrote: Sorry for the delay

https://twitter.com/TheDailyMav/status/1...1075490816

KP needs to be that stout.
Like Reply
(06-19-2021, 10:45 AM)Hypermav Wrote: KP needs to be that stout.
My wife wants me to look like that too!  Cry
Like Reply
I resisted as long as I could to comment about JVG, but...

If JVG becomes the MAVs coach...I think I would vomit...

I can't stand the opinionated ranter...and never thought he was that good a coach anyway.

So...there...my comment on JVG.
Like Reply
(06-19-2021, 03:05 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: You know what I want?

JJB to return as an assistant coach. He can be the bridge for the new coach to the old guys. Now that'd be a smart move imo.

Oh also: 

https://twitter.com/dalton_trigg/status/...25861?s=21

I have seen a few Mavs like the post from DallasMavs thanking Carlisle, but none of the established players, I believe. Actually just Josh Green and Jalen Brunson.  

This is a tricky spot as a player though.   There are so many reports out there.   Sometimes saying nothing for a while may be the safest option.  Regardless, I don't think was the Dirk team where a lot of those players seemed to have closer relationships to Carlisle.
Like Reply
(06-19-2021, 12:32 PM)ballsrchr Wrote: I resisted as long as I could to comment about JVG, but...

If JVG becomes the MAVs coach...I think I would vomit...

I can't stand the opinionated ranter...and never thought he was that good a coach anyway.

So...there...my comment on JVG.

His brother ain't that good either.  Both should be nailed to their chairs at ESPN for the rest of their lives.
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 08:40 PM)HanspardShowerVoice Wrote: No, I've HEARD him interviewed countless times and he's a bully and a douche every time.   He's a douche everytime he went on Norm Hitzges show, who is about as big of a teddybear softball interviewer as you'll find.  Not only is he a douche, he goes out of his way to be a douche because he relishes being a douche to people.     This isn't some sort of "open secret" because it's all out in the open.

Don't know how he was at Indiana, but being a "douche" to the employees and staffers in Detroit got him fired by late Piston's owner, Bill Davidson.   You'd think he would have learned from that.
Like Reply
(06-19-2021, 01:51 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: His brother ain't that good either.  Both should be nailed to their chairs at ESPN for the rest of their lives.

They are both dinosaurs, but JVG is a welcome addition to broadcasting, because between all his old man rants there are always legit common sense gems the NBA would never (want you to) ask.
Like Reply
(06-19-2021, 01:55 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Don't know how he was at Indiana, but being a "douche" to the employees and staffers in Detroit got him fired by late Piston's owner, Bill Davidson.   You'd think he would have learned from that.

How can you possibly not know how he was in Indy when your screen name is... never mind.
Like Reply
(06-19-2021, 01:55 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Don't know how he was at Indiana, but being a "douche" to the employees and staffers in Detroit got him fired by late Piston's owner, Bill Davidson.   You'd think he would have learned from that.

Should we prepare the parade for next year?
Like Reply
(06-19-2021, 02:45 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Should we prepare the parade for next year?

No. Larry Brown is 80 years old.
Like Reply
(06-19-2021, 02:45 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: How can you possibly not know how he was in Indy when your screen name is... never mind.

Who's your daddy has nothing to do with Hoosier in the Indiana context. It's just for effect, capiche?   Big Grin
Like Reply