Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
NEWS: RC out | Kidd hired as head coach & assembling staff
(06-17-2021, 06:39 PM)omahen Wrote: I know Finley the player Smile I have no idea about Finley the GM

Right, but I'm not sure you're in a position to appreciate what he did for the team back then. Only we, the long suffering Mavs fans who predate Cuban (I qualify by about a year only) can wrap our heads around it. 

People act like Luka is the only NBA player on the team right now. When Finley came here, that was legitimately true for a while. He basically did what the Mavs wanted Harrison Barnes to do, only WAY better, and in WAY worse circumstances. 

Like I said though, I totally agree with your take.
Like Reply
(06-17-2021, 06:42 PM)cow Wrote: With the depth on the team, he certainly could have played.  Probably still could.

We needed him instead of Burke against the Clippers...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
The good news. Zach Lavine wants to play for his hometown franchise Seattle SuperSonics and at the pace we are going the Mavs re-location should happen within the next 4-5 hours. Wow.
Like Reply
On a side note. What happens with RC´s and Donnie´s staff. The assistant coaches, scouts...gone as well?
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/MikeLeslieWFAA/statu...8793720833
Like Reply
It feels like the new coach is going to have a tricky situation with Luka.  It certainly appears he is immature and  is not the easiest guy to coach.    We can argue all night if that is warranted and if superstars get the benefit of the doubt.   

Add to this, over the next few years every time Luka coughs Mark is going to come running and try to fix the situation.   Could be a difficult spot.  

It will be interesting to see if Rick jumps right back into coaching.  That will tell a lot.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/TheMulf/status/14056...66691?s=20
Like Reply
(06-17-2021, 06:54 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: It certainly appears he is immature and  is not the easiest guy to coach

Do we know this to be true?  We (as Mavs fans, I'd be curious to hear someone like omahen's take) have only seen him under one coach and it's a coach who, while I greatly respect him, has been known to not be the easiest coach to get along with.  

Not saying you're wrong because I do think that the immaturity is pretty glaring at times with his body language and things like that, just saying it's a two way street and we've seen Rick be pretty hard headed with his handling of players in the past.

(06-17-2021, 06:58 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: https://twitter.com/TheMulf/status/14056...66691?s=20

I wish I can be a fly on any wall that Cuban is around right now.  I assume he's fuming and is thinking that he's just going to keep control and prove everyone wrong....which makes me sad.
Like Reply
(06-17-2021, 06:54 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: It feels like the new coach is going to have a tricky situation with Luka.  It certainly appears he is immature and  is not the easiest guy to coach.    We can argue all night if that is warranted and if superstars get the benefit of the doubt.   

Add to this, over the next few years every time Luka coughs Mark is going to come running and try to fix the situation.   Could be a difficult spot.  

It will be interesting to see if Rick jumps right back into coaching.  That will tell a lot.

I think Luka is one of Rick's bigger failings.  He couldn't pull his normal hard ass routine with Luka because he's just never a Luka caliber talent before.  He went from being overcontrolling to just giving away the keys to the kingdom (that submarined our KP trade as much as anything).  I think Luka would do fine with a newer school of though ex-player coach like Kidd, Kerr, Lue, etc.  Coaching Xs and Os are important, but so is relationship building to the modern player.  Luka needs to yelled at sometimes, hugged sometimes and left alone sometimes.  I don't think Rick ever understood that balancing act.
Like Reply
I feel like JJB will 100% percent be back next season.

New GM will have to give his blessing, but I can totally see JJB as a team manager, who is the communication line between players, coaches and front office to sort out any emerging issues. That keeps him out of the GM business of strategic decisions on coaching appointments, scouting department or overall franchise direction, but JJB can use his knowledge of and experience within the organization to keep everything running smoothly.
Like Reply
(06-17-2021, 06:59 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Do we know this to be true?  We (as Mavs fans, I'd be curious to hear someone like omahen's take) have only seen him under one coach and it's a coach who, while I greatly respect him, has been known to not be the easiest coach to get along with.  

Not saying you're wrong because I do think that the immaturity is pretty glaring at times with his body language and things like that, just saying it's a two way street and we've seen Rick be pretty hard headed with his handling of players in the past.

I wish I can be a fly on any wall that Cuban is around right now.  I assume he's fuming and is thinking that he's just going to keep control and prove everyone wrong....which makes me sad.

No I am just rifting right now....spur of the moment thoughts. 

I didn't like our offense this year though...and didn't like some of the mannerisms from Luka.    He is a star, so I cut him a lot of slack.  But there is a delicate balance.   I am not sure if it crossed the line.  Not crazy with some of the stuff I read.    It is just one side of the story though...so I am trying to keep an open mind.
Like Reply
(06-17-2021, 07:04 PM)Chicagojk Wrote:  No I am just rifting right now....spur of the moment thoughts. 

I didn't like our offense this year though...and didn't like some of the mannerisms from Luka.    He is a star, so I cut him a lot of slack.  But there is a delicate balance.   I am not sure if it crossed the line.  Not crazy with some of the stuff I read.    It is just one side of the story though...so I am trying to keep an open mind.

Oh I totally agree that a line was crossed on more than one occasion on Luka's part, and that's just from everything we've all seen on broadcast so I can't imagine practice being any better.

Having said that I think my point is simply I do not think for a second that it will be hard to replace Rick the player manager, I am terrified of replacing Rick the basketball tactician.
Like Reply
(06-17-2021, 07:00 PM)cow Wrote: I think Luka is one of Rick's bigger failings.  He couldn't pull his normal hard ass routine with Luka because he's just never a Luka caliber talent before.  He went from being overcontrolling to just giving away the keys to the kingdom (that submarined our KP trade as much as anything).  I think Luka would do fine with a newer school of though ex-player coach like Kidd, Kerr, Lue, etc.  Coaching Xs and Os are important, but so is relationship building to the modern player.  Luka needs to yelled at sometimes, hugged sometimes and left alone sometimes.  I don't think Rick ever understood that balancing act.

I need to do a deep dive on Kidd's coaching career.  He started out surprisingly well as I thought he would be a train wreck.   Was pretty good early in Milwaukee and then it all fell apart, and it was pretty widely known that the Bucks improved rapidly when Bud took over.   Although supposedly he was good with Giannis.   He has been an assistant coach for the past two years so maybe their has been some development.   

I am not sure how he communicates, but he is one of very few who knows what Luka sees on the court.   And could potentially push back a little when needed.    When Kidd gets another shot, he needs a staff like Nash has in Brooklyn.    

If Mark was making the hire, I would think Kidd would be very high on his list.    

I agree with your thoughts above too.
Like Reply
Okay here is the first thing about this. With all due respect to everything Carlisle has done here. He has two years left on his contract.

So whoever wants him, better pay some draft compensation.

Indiana 13th pick
Washington 15th pick
Boston 16th pick
Milwaukee 31st pick (and literally nothing else for years)
Portland has its own 2023 1st round pick

HELLO New Orleans

New Orleans 10th pick, all Lakers 1sts from 2022-2024 and all Bucks 1sts from 2024-2027

That will be the first job of the new GM. Get draft compensation for Carlisle.
Like Reply
(06-17-2021, 06:58 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: https://twitter.com/TheMulf/status/14056...66691?s=20

https://media.giphy.com/media/TJyMrfrnSJ.../giphy.gif
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/BlazersBySagar/statu...34341?s=20
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/BlazersBySagar/statu...30658?s=20
Like Reply
(06-17-2021, 07:13 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Okay here is the first thing about this. With all due respect to everything Carlisle has done here. He has two years left on his contract.

So whoever wants him, better pay some draft compensation.

Indiana 13th pick
Washington 15th pick
Boston 16th pick
Milwaukee 31st pick (and literally nothing else for years)
Portland has its own 2023 1st round pick

HELLO New Orleans

New Orleans 10th pick, all Lakers 1sts from 2022-2024 and all Bucks 1sts from 2024-2027

That will be the first job of the new GM. Get draft compensation for Carlisle.

RC and his favorite post player to Boston. Make it happen Bob.
Like Reply
I have 0 interest in Mosley as the head coach. And I'd almost have to think that if he is the coach, that means Finley is the GM.... Honestly it feels like we are going to just promote from within which is an awful ideal with a bunch of turmoil. You need a culture shift here apparently. 

I'm not sure about his x's and o's but a guy like Kidd is what we need. Players have loved playing for him. Don't forget Giannis heard he was getting fired and tried to stop it. 

I think Silas would have been a great hire too if not for going to Houston. He's known as a guy that connects to the players. 
Kidd also I think would help Luka become a much better true pg which is the next evolution of his game.

I'm sure there are other guys in that mold, but Idk who they are.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/BlazersBySagar/statu...3326850051
Like Reply