Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
NEWS: Donnie out | Nico Harrison (Nike) as Pres/GM | Fin as VP | Dirk as Advisor
(06-25-2021, 11:41 PM)Tyler Wrote: I feel like Cato is letting his personal opinion of Cuban shade his reporting. He notes that Cuban hired Sportsology to help with the search and that they did in fact collect names of various candidates around the league. Actually, he says that the team furnished Forde a list of executives (which wouldn't be unusual, for that type of position).

He also never claims that Sportsology didn't recommend Nico. So the line about it being a PR ploy rather than a genuine effort to give up control makes no sense. I think the line was "rather than any concession of decision-making influence.  Cuban never said he planned to give up control, and it sounds to me like Sportsology helped him find a well-respected candidate perfectly willing to work with him on his terms. Which was exactly what he hired them to do. It's cool that you think that, but there is plenty of evidence for other points of view, as well. 
I am not particularly defending Cato's piece, but I am bemused by the resistance to believe anything in it. I view his piece as primarily reportorial, not editorial, summarizing what his sources were telling him, as opposed to offering his own viewpoints. Maybe his sources are well-informed, maybe they're not, but I don't think he's just making all that stuff up. 

Suppose the idea to hire Harrison really was internal, and not sourced by Forde. Would that particularly bother you? It doesn't bother me. The mention-worthy part of it, I think, is just the announcement that a search firm was going to be retained to look for a candidate, and then hiring someone they were apparently already talking to like a week later. I find it interesting that people are bent on insisting that Forde was responsible for finding the candidate, as if that matters.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: NEWS: Donnie Nelson out as Mavs GM - by cow - 06-16-2021, 02:15 PM
RE: NEWS: Donnie Nelson out as Mavs GM - by cow - 06-16-2021, 02:23 PM
RE: NEWS: Donnie Nelson out as Mavs GM - by cow - 06-16-2021, 02:30 PM
RE: NEWS: Donnie Nelson out as Mavs GM - by DaRiv - 06-16-2021, 02:26 PM
RE: NEWS: Donnie Nelson out as Mavs GM - by WillE - 06-16-2021, 02:56 PM
RE: NEWS: Donnie out | Nico Harrison (Nike) as GM | Fin as VP | Dirk as Advisor - by mavsluvr - 06-26-2021, 12:03 AM