Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
NEWS: Donnie out | Nico Harrison (Nike) as Pres/GM | Fin as VP | Dirk as Advisor
(06-22-2021, 06:05 PM)Kammrath Wrote: My reactions:

1) I think it is a bummer that Cuban wouldn't consider someone like Ujiri. I think someone like Ujiri would have been great for the organization.

2) I also get why he won't consider giving up his final say on decisions. This is his baby after all and he relishes being involved in the process. I cannot fault him for that.

3) As long as Cuban learns better WHO to listen to, then this news isn't that big a deal IMO. I am 100% convinced that Cuban LISTENS to the people/advisors around him and all the reporting points to that. So the thing moving forward is getting the right kind of people, with the right approaches and wisdom around Cuban and getting the dysfunctional power struggles out. Maybe RC and/or Donnie really were vying for power within the Mavs organization and their removal will clean things up. Hard for us to really know until some time passes and the new blood is in place.

4) As I have said elsewhere, I am still 100% ok with Finley becoming the "face" of the GMing for the Mavs. He would probably do a much better job of staying in his lane than Donnie. I think the key would be assembling a team of analysts and scouts around him that could offer the wisdom needed on personnel decisions. And most importantly a clear and unambiguous decision making tree.

5) Dirk clearly believes in Cuban enough to attach his image and legacy to Cuban. Even if people cannot give Cuban the benefit of the doubt, I think they should give the genuinely good guys like Dirk and Fin the benefit of the doubt. If Cuban was all toxicity and dysfunction I believe that they would have distanced themselves from him.

My fear of staying within the organization for these hires is that Finley/Cuban have been core players in our poor drafting and recruiting.  Finley being the GM might help with doing business with other teams, but those other two pillars really could have used a fresh pair of eyes and a new presence.

Dirk's legacy will be fine no matter what.  Jordan's playing legacy certainly hasn't been affected by his less than stellar stint as an owner/GM.  Dirk is also loyal to a fault.  It's why we love him.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: NEWS: Donnie Nelson out as Mavs GM - by cow - 06-16-2021, 02:15 PM
RE: NEWS: Donnie Nelson out as Mavs GM - by cow - 06-16-2021, 02:23 PM
RE: NEWS: Donnie Nelson out as Mavs GM - by cow - 06-16-2021, 02:30 PM
RE: NEWS: Donnie Nelson out as Mavs GM - by DaRiv - 06-16-2021, 02:26 PM
RE: NEWS: Donnie Nelson out as Mavs GM - by WillE - 06-16-2021, 02:56 PM
RE: NEWS: Donnie Nelson out | Forde's Sportsology to assist | no chance on Ujiri? - by cow - 06-22-2021, 06:11 PM