Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
NEWS: Donnie out | Nico Harrison (Nike) as Pres/GM | Fin as VP | Dirk as Advisor
(06-17-2021, 07:38 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: One more thing, the whole he wanted Giannis storyline always bothered me.  There are several layers of him saying Giannis could be the best player in the draft.  Was it an off the hand comment with little force behind it?   Was it a pound the table moment of him saying this guy may be the best player in the class and I will stake my reputation on it?   Could you have found a way to draft Giannis while also finding another way to save money for Cuban?   Like it or not, a GM answers to people higher than him.   But he needs to sell his vision to his higher ups.    There has been a few times where it looks like Donnie was not great selling his vision.   That is an important part of the job.

Considering we gave Saric promise (before he took his name out of the draft) and we were highly linked to Michael Carter-Williams prior to draft night, I always wondered the same.
Giannis link to Donnie happened as hindsight, after Giannis looked good and Larkin looked awful. 

You have to wonder if he was "next in line " in our draft board, or Donnie thought he was really future super star.
For me I think it is the former.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: NEWS: Donnie Nelson out as Mavs GM - by cow - 06-16-2021, 02:15 PM
RE: NEWS: Donnie Nelson out as Mavs GM - by cow - 06-16-2021, 02:23 PM
RE: NEWS: Donnie Nelson out as Mavs GM - by cow - 06-16-2021, 02:30 PM
RE: NEWS: Donnie Nelson out as Mavs GM - by DaRiv - 06-16-2021, 02:26 PM
RE: NEWS: Donnie Nelson out as Mavs GM - by WillE - 06-16-2021, 02:56 PM
RE: NEWS: Donnie Nelson out as Mavs GM | Forde's Sportsology to assist search - by khaled1987 - 06-17-2021, 09:52 AM