Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Athletic: Inside the Mavericks front office, Mark Cuban’s shadow GM…
(06-14-2021, 04:36 PM)RasheedsBigWhiteSpot Wrote: After a few moments a Mavs PR guy approached the daughter and asked that she move back.  She was too "in the moment" to respond.  So the PR guy, while RC wasn't speaking, asked him if he would have his daughter step back.  Rick turned around and visibly snapped at him saying, "Lighten up.  Chill out." 

If that moment is an example of "control issues" then those issues are fairly mild.
Like Reply
(06-14-2021, 04:40 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Luka has always been eager to come across as a team player in the media, and has not tried to conduct campaigns against organizational policy in the press, a la KP. If our European contingent knows of a pattern of his doing so at RM, they can correct me.

Nothing of the kind. And just remember previous years. Luka was supposed to be best friends with Mejri. Didn't stay on the team because he didn't realy contribute as a player. Next was JJB, same story. Wouldn't those guys stay if Luka was demanding them to stay?

And listen what are we discussing. Does anyone really think it is smart to give full control of a team to a 22 year old kid? So he can act as coach, GM, scout... Perhaps we can ask Minnesota how bringing BFF of their star player has worked for their team. Luka is here to play basketball. Coach is paid to coach. GM is paid big money to construct a team. Naturally all those guys talk to eachother and have opinions. But in the end it should be clear whos job is what.
Like Reply
Turn my back for a second.
Like Reply
(06-14-2021, 02:38 PM)omahen Wrote: One name comes to mind immediately - Tony Ronzone. But I have a hard time believing Cato would just write a story from him without confirming it from other sources.

I thought about several people... Stephen Silas was one also.  I could see Cato reach out to him for a comment.  He's far enough away to make him untouchable from Cuban.  I wondered, since it does seem to be sort of Donnie Nelson sheltered...Finley, even Don Nelson could have given some stories secondhand.
"There are no friends on the court." - Luka Doncic
Like Reply
(06-14-2021, 04:40 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: A local blogger would be a very weird outlet for a Duffy leak.

Two quick thoughts:

1) I do NOT think Duffy is the main source of the article by any means, but there is enough in there that hints of "Luka's interests."

2) I would consider an Athletic article published by two reporters to be more than a "local blogger" piece. Seems as legit as any other possible source.

No?
Like Reply
(06-14-2021, 04:54 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Two quick thoughts:

1) I do NOT think Duffy is the main source of the article by any means, but there is enough in there that hints of "Luka's agenda."

2) I would consider an Athletic article published by two reporters to be more than a "local blogger" piece. Seems as legit as any other possible source.

No?
What is Luka's agenda as you see it?
Like Reply
(06-14-2021, 04:57 PM)Hypermav Wrote: What is Luka's agenda as you see it?

I changed it to "Luka's interests."
Like Reply
It could be a number of people...a front office staff is huge and even bigger if you want to count assistant coaches/scouts/etc. There are dozens and dozens of staff members listed under Donnie here:

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/teams/...ff-members
Like Reply
So KP is not the root of all issues?...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(06-14-2021, 04:46 PM)omahen Wrote: Nothing of the kind. And just remember previous years. Luka was supposed to be best friends with Mejri. Didn't stay on the team because he didn't realy contribute as a player. Next was JJB, same story. Wouldn't those guys stay if Luka was demanding them to stay?

And listen what are we discussing. Does anyone really think it is smart to give full control of a team to a 22 year old kid? So he can act as coach, GM, scout...

If the other roster decision-making options are Cuban, Carlisle, Nelson and Bob, then the answer is probably yes.

I´d rather have Luka/Duffy go to Cuban and tell him point blank to his face DFS, Lavine and one of Markkanen/Collins/Turner are Mavericks next yea. You don´t give a crap how this happens, do your job or no super-max extension.

Oh and btw with the cap to explode in the very near post-corona future, maybe it´s actually in Luka´s best interest not to sign the five super-max extension now, but rather something like a 1+1 or flatout reject it completely.

Short of losing a leg, Luka will get a max offer, even if he has to play a year on the qualifying offer. That is if Cuban want to take it to the extreme, obviously he´d have to trade him.

I think this is just a first warning shot from Doncic/Duffy. They just turned the heat up in the kitchen.
Like Reply
(06-14-2021, 05:05 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: I think this is just a first warning shot from Doncic/Duffy. They just turned the heat up in the kitchen.

Hmmm. I do think this Voulgaris guy is going to be discarded. This bad press is really too hot to handle and its not like Voulgaris is on some huge winning streak. I do wonder if Cubes will purge any in his ranks if he is able to find any leakers. With that said I don't see how he could keep Voulgaris.
Like Reply
The notion that Valar Morghulis had any real control over lineups seems far-fetched. The notion that he made the final decision on draft picks seems equally dubious. That he had more influence than some thought he should? Believable but not controversial. 

Hard for me to get excited by this article at all. We are at least a decade into the click bait era yet we seem to go for it every time. Myself included. Read this whole thread. No longer sure why.
Like Reply
(06-14-2021, 05:02 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: So KP is not the root of all issues?...

lol  Honestly, I was shocked that everyone haven't been blaming him for it.
"There are no friends on the court." - Luka Doncic
Like Reply
(06-14-2021, 04:54 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Two quick thoughts:

1) I do NOT think Duffy is the main source of the article by any means, but there is enough in there that hints of "Luka's interests."

There is certainly a lot of speculation about Luka's agenda. Along with statements that Luka has a good relationship with the organization as a whole at present, but that "could change" if certain things go wrong. No actual indication that Luka himself has expressed a desire to jump ship. 

I consider the article itself legit in a journalistic sense. I just question that Luka or his representatives were a significant source. My Duffy comment was more about relationships. As far as I know, Cato's sources are mostly within the Mavericks organization, as opposed to the major agents. (Of course, it is possible that he could have sources I'm not aware of, even Duffy). Even Amick seems unlikely. Although he is a national guy, he is not usually associated with reporting on the Mavericks. 

The article sounds to me much more like it is relying on front-office based sourcing for the most part, probably not at the highest level. Could be some coaching staff input, as well.   

No?

I consider the article legitimate and important, just don't think that it's probably coming from Luka, or necessarily even represents the way he feels. In most organizations, any given employee will like some of his colleagues more than others -- it doesn't mean he is going to leave over it. Certainly, any internal dysfunction/dissatisfaction could get to the level that Luka would be affected by it. But, by the article's own admission, it isn't at that point yet. The issues should be addressed if they exist, whether Luka is bothered by it at this time or not. 
Like Reply
I didn't know who Voulgaris was until I looked up staff photos at Mavs.com.

[Image: voldemort.jpg?w=778&h=450&crop=1]

The whole thing is just sad.  I think the draft picks may be the biggest issue I have out of the growing list.
Like Reply
Cato in a podcast: „I’d be shocked if there weren’t changes (in regards to the power structure of the organization)“

This Bob-guy or Donnie, he thinks something will happen there.

Link to the podcast:

https://twitter.com/ormoyal/status/14045...01089?s=21
Like Reply
(06-14-2021, 05:21 PM)JamesConway Wrote: Cato in a podcast: „I’d be shocked if there weren’t changes (in regards to the power structure of the organization)“

All five Texas Legends fans getting excited that they might finally be good for the first time ever, if Donnie has to donate the team to charity. Big Grin 

Which podcast?
Like Reply
(06-14-2021, 04:45 PM)fifteenth Wrote: If that moment is an example of "control issues" then those issues are fairly mild.

Well if the threshhold for "control issues" is Rick has to stab someone in the heart with an ice pick, then, yeah, Rick's a chill ass mofo.  But for a guy who has a reputation as being a douche who players don't want to play for, he came off as being a douche who players don't want to play for.
Like Reply
(06-14-2021, 05:20 PM)Hypermav Wrote: I didn't know who Voulgaris was until I looked up staff photos at Mavs.com.

[Image: voldemort.jpg?w=778&h=450&crop=1]

The whole thing is just sad.  I think the draft picks may be the biggest issue I have out of the growing list.
It was rough watching what they did to Green/Bey/Terry. Carlisle never had an ounce of interest in developing them. Everything makes sense now. They probably weren’t the guys he wanted and he acted accordingly.

I hope we waive or trade all three of them instead of further destroying the start of their careers. Just a huge waste of everybody’s time as always the Mavs‘ limited asset base but that’s another one of those typical Mavs stories that just reek of incompetence.

At this point we’d be better off with a fresh start. Coaching, GM, everything. The guys we have don’t have it anymore.
Like Reply
(06-14-2021, 05:21 PM)JamesConway Wrote: Cato in a podcast: „I’d be shocked if there weren’t changes (in regards to the power structure of the organization)“

The guy who drafted Dirk, the guy who wanted to draft Giannis, the guy who made sure we drafted Luka vs. The guy who wanted Delon Wright and made sure we drafted Josh Green/Tyrell Terry over Saddiq Bey/Desmond Bane.

Yeah.... I hope for Cuban's sake he doesn't try to outsmart himself here.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply