Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Athletic: Inside the Mavericks front office, Mark Cuban’s shadow GM…
(06-14-2021, 01:16 PM)sefant Wrote: The more interesting question is which side/camp leaked the info to Cato. Donnie? Luka/Duffy? Rick?

I doubt Cato really has the inside track on the front office. Most guys that are reporting are usually hit or miss, apart from Stein. And the national guys WOJ, Shams of course.

Could be the agent of another player. Porzingis took the most public damage in the process. The rookies were dead on arrival. Richardson got demoted and embarrased like Rondo/Noel in the end, which would then lead back to Duffy.

My money is on Luka/Duffy applying a ton of presssure on the MBT now before Luka wants to sign the supermax.

Wouldn´t surprise me, if this is actually about Lavine. Who else could they get this summer that is a young superstar?

Duffy: I spoke to Lavine. He wants to come and play with Luka. Trade for him now and you got Luka´s signature.
Bob: I crunched the advanced numbers on his defense on my computer and....Luka:
[Image: r0J8RW.gif]

F*** your computer.
Like Reply
Cuban has to be the "smartest guy in the room" at all times.  So it makes sense he would gravitate toward and lean on someone like Voulgaris who clearly suffers from the same syndrome.

Championship team wants chance to defend its title...Cuban knew better
Donnie wanted Giannis...Cuban knew better
Scouts didn't want Delon...Cuban/Voulgaris knew better
Scouts didn't want Green/Terry...Cuban/Voulgaris knew better

As long as Mark Cuban needs to not only be the smartest guy in the room but also have everyone know he is just that...this franchise is battling against itself.

There is only one person that can force Cuban to re-evaluate himself.  It's not Rick, it's not Donnie.  It's Luka.  I hope this story leaked from Luka's camp and this is the young Franchise taking a page from his hero Lebron's book and trying to force his FO's hand.  I'm not saying I want Luka to become the GM like Lebron has during his career.  

I am saying that things clearly need to change and Luka is capable of forcing that so I'm all for him flexing his muscles on this issue.

Luka is an NBA fan...that is very evident.  He sees what Bey and Bane did in their rookie years and what his 3 rookie teammates did...nothing.

The other alternative is this is Donnie's camp using the Luka leverage to get this out there and force Mark's hand.  

I don't love seeing the FO dysfunction out for all to see...but I'm glad that Mark is going to be forced to make a decision and I don't see how he can make that decision without making Luka factor numbers 1 through 10!
Like Reply
(06-14-2021, 01:16 PM)sefant Wrote: The more interesting question is which side/camp leaked the info to Cato. Donnie? Luka/Duffy? Rick?

I doubt Cato really has the inside track on the front office. Most guys that are reporting are usually hit or miss, apart from Stein. And the national guys WOJ, Shams of course.

He has the info from someone. Finley? I'll take Finley over Vulgerass any day.
Like Reply
If this was movie, the last scene would reveal the real source....and it would be KP.

Joking, but it would be a great cliff hanger.
Like Reply
Quote:I saw another article saying Rick was eyeing the Bucks “potentially” vacant head coaching position. Fact is, the Mavericks have something everyone else wants. Luka is the future of this league and the media is going to stir everything up in Dallas they can to create that drama.

Why would Tiim Cato want to "stir up everything in Dallas" to "create that drama"? He likes the Mavs and likes Luka being in Dallas. How does "the Mavericks have something everyone else wants. Luka is the future of the league" make Tim Cato want to cause problems for the Mavs? 

That tweet makes zero sense.
Like Reply
If this is Duffy-driven, a standing O for Duffy.
Like Reply
(06-14-2021, 01:36 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: If this is Duffy-driven, a standing O for Duffy.

Honestly, a standing O for whatever camp it came from.

Luka, Duffy, Rick, Donnie, Scouts, KP, Finley...MavsMan or the Maniacs!

This appears to be a battle that 100% needs to be fought...and the best way to fight Cuban is out in the open via the media.  That's how some brave women fought him over the ridiculous and disgusting behavior in the Mavs business office.  You don't fight a blowhard like Cubes behind closed doors.  You drag his ass out in public and make him square up!
Like Reply

In fairness, Cato isn't the type of writer to go make up a bunch of stories and publish them for click bait. He is a serious guy and does have sources. Sam Amick, who is a national guy, is also a very reputable reporter/writer. 

As to who the sources were, and how much of the truth, if any, they revealed, that is of course a legitimate question.
Like Reply
(06-14-2021, 01:35 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Why would Tiim Cato want to "stir up everything in Dallas" to "create that drama"? He likes the Mavs and likes Luka being in Dallas. How does "the Mavericks have something everyone else wants. Luka is the future of the league" make Tim Cato want to cause problems for the Mavs? 

Believe he was saying that everyone wants Luka (and maybe Rick?), and that NBA writers are going to try to take advantage of the situation to stir up drama for the sake of getting clicks. 

Not endorsing the tweet at all, especially as applied to Cato's article, just noting that Cuban liked it.
Like Reply
(06-14-2021, 01:35 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Why would Tiim Cato want to "stir up everything in Dallas" to "create that drama"? He likes the Mavs and likes Luka being in Dallas. How does "the Mavericks have something everyone else wants. Luka is the future of the league" make Tim Cato want to cause problems for the Mavs? 

It doesn't make sense. But Cuban is going all out on damage control. He's trying his hardest to reign in the narrative and make it seem like he has control. 

I hope there is a raucous chorus chanting the firing of Voulgaris and for Cuban to take a step back.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
My bet is Janis was the source... Big Grin
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(06-14-2021, 01:46 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Believe he was saying that everyone wants Luka (and maybe Rick?), and that NBA writers are going to try to take advantage of the situation to stir up drama for the sake of getting clicks. 

Not endorsing the tweet at all, especially as applied to Cato's article, just noting that Cuban liked it.

For sure. The tweet makes sense away from the context of Cato's article. I was thinking of the tweet as a response or as riffing off of Cato's article. Is that not the case?

(06-14-2021, 01:48 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: My bet is Janis was the source... Big Grin

LOL

POTD
Like Reply
Sounds to me like Cuban, with his tech love, has watched "Moneyball" too many times. He got sold on this guy using stats to make non-obvious decisions to get an advantage on other teams by signing underrated players. 

I'm sure Vulgaris used past stats to make past decisions look feasible in siging Curry or Wright, but continued failure of his schemes has got to have a price eventually. 

RC and Donnie are political survivors. You don't stay around long if you aren't. They have to be giving this guy enough rope to hang himself...and maybe it has already happened. "We're not renewing your contract, thank you for your assistance these last few years, don't slam the door on your way out."
Like Reply
(06-14-2021, 01:36 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: If this is Duffy-driven, a standing O for Duffy.
Really hope it’s him and Luka. Luka is loyal but he’s not as over the top loyal as Dirk. 

The kid has won literally everywhere he ever competed. He doesn’t have time for the Mavs decision makers bullcrap. 

This organization needs changes. Drastic ones and they have to be made quickly. We can’t be a lottery or first round fodder squad for another decade. Luka would leave and rightfully so.
Like Reply
(06-14-2021, 02:00 PM)michaeltex Wrote: RC and Donnie are political survivors. You don't stay around long if you aren't. They have to be giving this guy enough rope to hang himself...and maybe it has already happened. "We're not renewing your contract, thank you for your assistance these last few years, don't slam the door on your way out."

this sounds good
Like Reply
(06-14-2021, 02:02 PM)fifteenth Wrote: this sounds good

Anything involving Voulgaris's departure sounds great.
Like Reply
(06-14-2021, 01:49 PM)fifteenth Wrote: For sure. The tweet makes sense away from the context of Cato's article. I was thinking of the tweet as a response or as riffing off of Cato's article. Is that not the case?
I believe we are in agreement. I think the tweet is specious, at best, in regard to Cato's article. 

My only point in posting the tweet was to also indicate that Cuban strongly endorsed it.
Like Reply
(06-14-2021, 01:49 PM)fifteenth Wrote: I was thinking of the tweet as a response or as riffing off of Cato's article. Is that not the case?

The Rick to Bucks rumors was a different article from bleacher report which I think Cuban purposely didn't note in his tweet.  Him saying "the article was posted before I responded" was not directed at Cato at all.
Like Reply
Fire Donnie, keep Voulgaris! Let Cuban's genius have the full authority to assemble a Super Team and Luka will learn to like him  Wink
Like Reply
(06-14-2021, 02:02 PM)fifteenth Wrote: this sounds good

Good? This sounds awful. That would mean it´s just an attempt to get the failed new BS (Cuban backed Voulgaris) out, so they can continue with their failed old BS (Nelson/Carlisle). This is only good news, if it came from Luka/Duffy, because that means we are getting some real players in here this summer...AT ALL COSTS. Legit young running mates for Luka.

Maybe that is also where the alleged rift between Luka/Porzingis is. Maybe Luka hasn´t told the Mavs he has a problem with Porzingis, but simply that they need to find him a 2nd young superstar now. Then Porzingis doesn´t need to be a rocket-scientist to figure out that he has to be traded in such a situation.
Like Reply