Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Athletic: Inside the Mavericks front office, Mark Cuban’s shadow GM…
(06-14-2021, 12:33 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Are you suggesting that the story is not true, at least as far as interference with coaching goes?
Have no clue, that's why "if". It would make sense if Voulgaris becomes the Fall Guy (Lee Majors, man I used to love that show so much) and Cuban is feigning outrage. It would also make sense that RC would NEVER let this guy dictate anything coaching related. However, it wouldn't surprise me if Donnie rolled over and played dead to his shenanigans. 

Only people who know are the ones involved with the incidents. Is one of those people a source for this article, or, was this basically written for Tim Cato in a sense by a "source" to attempt to save a bit of egg on face for the guys that are going to stay in the FO?
Like Reply
(06-14-2021, 11:57 AM)khaled1987 Wrote: I doubt he is the one who traded the same guys he advised to get

If he wanted to go get a player like Wright then I wouldn't be surprised if his analytics told him to go get Richardson too....
Like Reply
(06-14-2021, 12:41 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: If he wanted to go get a player like Wright then I wouldn't be surprised if his analytics told him to go get Richardson too....
His analytics are now telling him to go get Graham!
Like Reply
I saw a tweet saying firing Harlabob is the easy thing to do but would probably not change all that much.  May provide some short term relief but that Mavericks problems run deeper and the end point of that is the one person you cannot fire.   

Good thoughts.
Like Reply
(06-14-2021, 12:27 PM)Kammrath Wrote: One thing is clear:

There is HUGE division in the DAL front office (including coaching). Guys are speaking up to the media in an effort to grab power back and to try to fix the dysfunction. 

I think worst case scenario is we do not see big changes in the front office and coaching this season. That could spell long term disaster.

Agreed. Some parts regarding Voulgaris may be exaggerated, who knows. But ultimately, there is friction between how the front office is being run. It's probably been like this for years (going back to Gersson Rosas) but now it's at a breaking point. 

Quote:It’s not that Doncic’s situation with the team is at a critical inflection point right now. Multiple team sources simply fear that it’s heading that direction.

Those concerns mostly center on Cuban and the decisions he makes regarding who he trusts and imbues with power. Sometimes, it’s examples like Voulgaris, a sports gambler with no league experience being given near total control of the team’s roster. Other times, it’s the relationships he doesn’t sever: The Mavericks’ front office has come to be known around the league for its long-existing power structure that, Voulgaris aside, has barely changed.
Like Reply
(06-14-2021, 12:21 PM)VintagePejav2 Wrote: Cuban responds:
https://twitter.com/mcuban/status/140448...06982?s=21

This is at least ten times more alarming than the original report. Eff Cuban.
Like Reply
Also let´s always keep in mind, that we don´t know this for facts (we assume), but agents do.

So you are the agent of a young player and you know (one part of) the decision-making FO wants you, but the coach does not. Who in there right mind would send a defenseless puppy into the direction of such a dysfunctional family. As an agent you do everything in your power to avoid such a toxic situation. It also explains why Carlisle never played the three drafted kids. Not only does he rarely play rookies in general, but then it´s rookies he does not even want. Wow fantastic.
Like Reply
(06-14-2021, 12:41 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Have no clue, that's why "if". It would make sense if Voulgaris becomes the Fall Guy (Lee Majors, man I used to love that show so much) and Cuban is feigning outrage. It would also make sense that RC would NEVER let this guy dictate anything coaching related. However, it wouldn't surprise me if Donnie rolled over and played dead to his shenanigans. 

Influence in an organization isn't always delivered with a military-style marching order. I have seen Carlisle change his mind and put Dirk in when Cuban joined the crowd in chanting for it. I have also witnessed incidents when he adverted to getting advice from his analytics people in deciding on a rotation change. Carlisle can be stubborn, but he also takes advice, and maybe he was encouraged to give strong attention to the advice of Haralabob. Also, as you say, maybe he wasn't -- we can't know.

Only people who know are the ones involved with the incidents. Is one of those people a source for this article, or, was this basically written for Tim Cato in a sense by a "source" to attempt to save a bit of egg on face for the guys that are going to stay in the FO?

Sorry, I don't understand what you are saying here. 
Like Reply
This 100% is going to get a Cuban full interview response denying all of this.
Like Reply
(06-14-2021, 12:57 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: This 100% is going to get a Cuban full interview response denying all of this.

If he attempts to speak for Luka in the interview, Luka's off to New York next year. Just siddown and shaddup, Mark.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/totaltroutmove/statu...1053403149

At the time I would have probably traded for Love as well, but stilll.......
Like Reply
(06-14-2021, 12:48 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I saw a tweet saying firing Harlabob is the easy thing to do but would probably not change all that much.  May provide some short term relief but that Mavericks problems run deeper and the end point of that is the one person you cannot fire.   

Good thoughts.

I agree Voulgaris is just a symptom from the real problem which is Cubes tendency to always be the smartest in the room. 

BUT, firing the guy who's usurping the roles of the coach and GM can only be a positive thing. Even if said usurping is Cuban backed.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
One year it is Cuban and Parsons making the calls. Next year it is some gambler/analytics guy. Any self respecting GM would have quit years ago. Basically confirms what a lot of us have already mentioned in the past couple of weeks. It´s not on the GM, it´s not on the coach. It´s the owner. No way to fix this. Not like Cuban is going to sell the team or change his ways.
Like Reply
(06-14-2021, 12:59 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: https://twitter.com/totaltroutmove/statu...1053403149

At the time I would have probably traded for Love as well, but stilll.......

Both Simmons and Voulgaris ought to be shot for their stupid comments about Klay.
Like Reply
(06-14-2021, 01:02 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Both Simmons and Voulgaris ought to be shot for their stupid comments about Klay.

"Easiest players to get...Klay Thompson"

Mavs not taking Bey or Bane makes a lot more sense.
Like Reply
"I didn't hear what was said,'' Voulgaris tells us. "There's definitely no drama on my end.''

In the end, Haralabos Voulgaris, no matter how accomplished he may be, may be telling us the truth about his lack of awareness regarding "drama.''

But he is undoubtedly about to be made aware.

https://www.si.com/nba/mavericks/news/da...is-respond
Like Reply
(06-14-2021, 01:02 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Both Simmons and Voulgaris ought to be shot for their stupid comments about Klay.

To be fair, at the time of the comments Love was coming off a career year averaging 27ppg and 13 rpg and was a multi time all-star and was 25. 

Klay was 23 coming off a solid year averaging 18ppg and wasn't Klay yet

But I agree with you. Klay Thompsons don't grow on trees and players like him are certainly not easy to replace every year.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
The more interesting question is which side/camp leaked the info to Cato. Donnie? Luka/Duffy? Rick?

I doubt Cato really has the inside track on the front office. Most guys that are reporting are usually hit or miss, apart from Stein. And the national guys WOJ, Shams of course.
Like Reply
New tweet -- Cuban suggests that the writer was just trying to stir up drama 

https://twitter.com/mcuban/status/140449...10308?s=20
Like Reply
The fact Cubes was so quick to reply and that Voulgaris commented in a story written by Fish at SI a couple of hours after the athletic story makes me think that athletic article was super accurate.

No reason to do such damage control if it wasn't true.
Like Reply