Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Athletic: Inside the Mavericks front office, Mark Cuban’s shadow GM…
(06-17-2021, 11:56 AM)fifteenth Wrote: Agree. Scarry thought. Even if Donnie's time was up, he shouldn't have had to deal with an owner approved usurper. I hope Cuban learned that what happened isn't cool. If he didn't then I think you're right.
Ya, it’s almost like Cuban made a promise to Donnie that after 19 years he couldn’t keep, so instead of just being a man about it and telling Donnie his time has passed, he brought in this Voulgaris guy in to make him do something out of character so Cuban can believe he is saving face on that original promise.
Like Reply
(06-17-2021, 11:41 AM)TXBamanut Wrote: Question:  What GM worth his salt, who could get a job elsewhere, is going to come to an organization where the previous GM was getting his legs cut out from under him, and the owner is fine with that and doesn't see a problem with it?

Answer:  Someone looking to get experience they can't get any other way, and then leave for a less toxic environment.  That's not good.  In other words, no Urji, no Ainge, no West...no one with skins on the wall.

That all may very well be true.  The new GM will need to feel comfortable the team will be built in his image.  There will always be higher ups who have a voice....that is true with every organization.

On the other hand, Dallas has one of 5,6,7 ??? players in the world that truly matter and can change a franchise.   And he is 22.   If the line is not forming around the block to come work here, that speaks volumes.
Like Reply
The follow-up story today by Sam Amick pretty much shows that Cuban's leadership is horrible. The guy has never been self-aware so it's no surprise that he is oblivious to the friction that was caused between Donnie and Voulgaris. I honestly think Cuban is just so naïve that he actually believes everything was BS as he mentioned.
Like Reply
(06-17-2021, 11:02 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: What a mess:

As one rival team executive shared Wednesday, there were times when talking to the Mavericks about trade possibilities meant inevitable confusion. Nelson would paint one picture, so to speak, discussing the possible pieces and players involved in an attempt to get a deal done. But Voulgaris, who this rival executive said had talked to his team simultaneously about a particular deal, would tell a different story. And because Voulgaris was widely known to have a direct line to Cuban, this dynamic was seen by Nelson as damaging to his credibility. When asked over the phone about this assertion on Wednesday, Cuban refuted the idea that Voulgaris had negatively impacted the process.

There's no doubt in my mind this sort of issue was the reason behind the Miami trade debacle 2 years ago.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(06-17-2021, 01:01 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: There's no doubt in my mind this sort of issue was the reason behind the Miami trade debacle 2 years ago.

...and the Italian podcaster trade. That story alone would be enough material for a 30 for 30.

Was it another Cuban marketing plot? Which in a very sad way would be the least embarrassing outcome!

Did they really trade for an injured 37 year old that flat out told them hedid not  want to be here?
Did they really trade for a player they originally rejected?
And did they really PAY a 2nd round pick for all of that?
Like Reply
Highlights from The Press Box pod, with Tim Cato --

A few more insights into the reporting underlying the article. 

Tim has always been interested in the Mavs front office. He had been hearing whispers of growing tension for a while, and early this year he realized the circumstances had reached the point where an article would be appropriate after the season. 

In Feb or March, he received a text from a source using the word "catastrophic" to describe the power struggles. It became more obvious how critical the story was around the trade deadline and later. He thinks the Nelson/Rick departures would have happened regardless of the article, and in fact, by Thursday, when they had originally planned to publish the Monday story, the Nelson firing was already underway (as he learned later).

He has known Mark for years, and is sorry that they were not able to get more of his voice into the story, but thinks they framed it accurately. When Mark deemed the story "total bullshit," Mark turned out to have little credibility, especially after Nelson and Rick left, as the affected community tended to believe the story, rather than Mark. 

As much as anything, the story reflects the existence of an inflection point regarding Cuban. People are ceasing to probe whether he is really the man pulling all the strings -- he is, and that perception may have an effect on how people deal with him, and how much control they will tolerate. 

Cuban's ownership has been beneficial to the team in many ways. But the gunslinger image he cultivates has not always been positive. He has a long history of unforced errors with the media. There is a growing sense of recognition that not everything around the Mavericks has been as Mark has presented it. 

Cuban himself does not view himself as the man behind the curtain. He perceives himself as taking advice from many sources, and synthesizing it. But Tim's other sources don't see it that way. The perception is that Mark is too influenced by whoever happens to have his ear at the time, whether it's Haralabob or Chandler Parsons or whoever. Although Bob was used in the story as just an example of the chaos, Bob was in fact a huge part of the dysfunction that was occurring. 

Publishing an article like this risks burning bridges as far as sources. Tim admits that was a concern. However, unlike some other reporters, he doesn’t want to be a beat writer forever, so he might be more willing to publish difficult stories than others, and in fact, sees that as his role. He doesn't know of any bridges burned as a result of this piece, but acknowledges that there might be some. 

https://open.spotify.com/episode/5SKXnH6OghqxmVLNSl3cBE
Like Reply
(06-22-2021, 12:02 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Highlights from The Press Box pod, with Tim Cato --

There is a growing sense of recognition that not everything around the Mavericks has been as Mark has presented it. 

Like the sellout streak? I wonder how much "luxury tax" that cost between 2012 and now.
Like Reply
I guess I dont see how Bob Viva Las Vegas coming in and making overriding decisions two years ago makes any of this unexpected?

Or...how Cubes couldnt have a plan?

Mark isnt an idiot...nor are Donnie and Rick.   Writing had to be on the wall, right?  With Mark having a plan after the departures of GM/HC?
Like Reply
(06-22-2021, 12:02 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Publishing an article like this risks burning bridges as far as sources. Tim admits that was a concern. However, unlike some other reporters, he doesn’t want to be a beat writer forever, so he might be more willing to publish difficult stories than others, and in fact, sees that as his role. He doesn't know of any bridges burned as a result of this piece, but acknowledges that there might be some. 

Some people write bullshit and hide behind a noble "speaking truth to power" facade when called on it. But Cato is different. Not only has his story turned out to be pretty darned insightful, but I also think his acknowledgement of how it might make his own job more difficult near-term as a beat writer seems quite genuine. I have a lot of respect for that.
Like Reply
(06-22-2021, 12:02 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Highlights from The Press Box pod, with Tim Cato --

A few more insights into the reporting underlying the article. 

Tim has always been interested in the Mavs front office. He had been hearing whispers of growing tension for a while, and early this year he realized the circumstances had reached the point where an article would be appropriate after the season. 

In Feb or March, he received a text from a source using the word "catastrophic" to describe the power struggles. It became more obvious how critical the story was around the trade deadline and later. He thinks the Nelson/Rick departures would have happened regardless of the article, and in fact, by Thursday, when they had originally planned to publish the Monday story, the Nelson firing was already underway (as he learned later).

He has known Mark for years, and is sorry that they were not able to get more of his voice into the story, but thinks they framed it accurately. When Mark deemed the story "total bullshit," Mark turned out to have little credibility, especially after Nelson and Rick left, as the affected community tended to believe the story, rather than Mark. 

As much as anything, the story reflects the existence of an inflection point regarding Cuban. People are ceasing to probe whether he is really the man pulling all the strings -- he is, and that perception may have an effect on how people deal with him, and how much control they will tolerate. 

Cuban's ownership has been beneficial to the team in many ways. But the gunslinger image he cultivates has not always been positive. He has a long history of unforced errors with the media. There is a growing sense of recognition that not everything around the Mavericks has been as Mark has presented it. 

Cuban himself does not view himself as the man behind the curtain. He perceives himself as taking advice from many sources, and synthesizing it. But Tim's other sources don't see it that way. The perception is that Mark is too influenced by whoever happens to have his ear at the time, whether it's Haralabob or Chandler Parsons or whoever. Although Bob was used in the story as just an example of the chaos, Bob was in fact a huge part of the dysfunction that was occurring. 

Publishing an article like this risks burning bridges as far as sources. Tim admits that was a concern. However, unlike some other reporters, he doesn’t want to be a beat writer forever, so he might be more willing to publish difficult stories than others, and in fact, sees that as his role. He doesn't know of any bridges burned as a result of this piece, but acknowledges that there might be some. 

https://open.spotify.com/episode/5SKXnH6OghqxmVLNSl3cBE

@"Kammrath", @"KillerLeft"

Does this not mirror what @"F Gump" has been saying?

It's not unredeamable, but it sure looks as bad as we've been realizing, to me. 

My hope is that Mark wakes up. But what can I say, I'm kind of a hopeful guy.
Like Reply
Mark just doesn't seem to want to take responsibility for or accept his failings and shortcomings.  The MBT has been a disaster since 2011.  We were fortunate enough to land Luka (credit to the MBT for identify the talent and spending what it took to get him) but they are doing their best to make sure Luka isn't here long term.  

When the business side news broke, Mark was quick to say he wasn't involved in the day-to-day thus washing his hands of responsibility.  He was at least smart enough to hire Cynt to right that ship.  His ownership of that situation was disappointing.  Dirk said more meaningful things on behalf of the organization than Mark.  By all accounts, Cynt is doing a great job (not surprising given her pedigree).  It's too bad Mark can't learn from that experience and do the same for the basketball operations side of the house.

I think Mark had a plan after he fired Donnie.  I'm not sure he was expecting Carlisle to leave.  Is Mark an idiot?  No.  Can smart people do dumb things?  Yes.  I think years of Dirk carrying this team to successful records made Mark overconfident in his ability to run a team.  I've long though we wouldn't get changes to the MBT until Luka asked out of the organization.  Turns out I was wrong on that account.  I still don't think Cuban will make the necessary changes to have a successful franchise until Luka is out the door and maybe not even then.
Like Reply
(06-22-2021, 01:00 PM)cow Wrote: When the business side news broke, Mark was quick to say he wasn't involved in the day-to-day thus washing his hands of responsibility.  He was at least smart enough to hire Cynt to right that ship.  His ownership of that situation was disappointing.  Dirk said more meaningful things on behalf of the organization than Mark.  By all accounts, Cynt is doing a great job (not surprising given her pedigree).  It's too bad Mark can't learn from that experience and do the same for the basketball operations side of the house.

How do we know he hasn't? I'm still hopeful.
Like Reply
(06-22-2021, 03:09 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: How do we know he hasn't? I'm still hopeful.

We don't.  The only thing we know is that the business side was a chaotic mess because Mark, by his very own words, was hands off.  We also know, through Donnie being fired and Rick quitting, that the basketball side was a chaotic mess because Cuban was very hands on.  I'm don't share your optimism.
Like Reply