Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mavs 111, Clippers 126
(06-07-2021, 11:26 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: when you or Skin joke with him
[Image: giphy.gif]
Like Reply
KL, how can you expect mavsluvr to be with you on this when DHarp constantly praises him time and again on the broadcast. He also makes him look so much better too because of the things you said!
Like Reply
(06-07-2021, 12:39 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Dude. Harp is my boy.

Biggest Ups to you ML for another great season of your recaps.  
I guess announcers are to each his own but much luv to brother Harp as well. 
With the career he gave to Dallas he may not be quite at Dirk level but Derek Harper pretty much earned a seat at the table before he got there. 

Like Reply
(06-07-2021, 12:29 AM)burekemde Wrote: In game 7 the zone really really didnt work.

Lets put it this way i prefer a mid ranger by Kawhi in man to man defense. Rather than the open 3 pointer by the non functioning zone. Its 3 vs 2 points. When they fall in as they did yesterday you go back to man defense and you try different defenders on kawhi. Personally i think Mavs should have experimented with different personel on Kawhi much like Clippers did with Luka. I wondered for instance whether KP could shut him down or disrupt him at very least.

I think most of time it was DFS or Maxi but sometimrs you just have to try more. One one instance i noticed late in game7  burke and JB giving Kawhi troubles. Why not trying that more or someone else smaller just to give him differrent looks? It was too easy with always same defender. Then you can use the same effective style every time.

Luka got like 1000 different looks he needed to process. Maybe Kawhi archilers heel would have been KP and smaller guys and a mix of different looks and personel. I mean the zone was fine in game 5 came as surprise. But game 7 we needed to go away for it when it stopped working.

Great observation about the zone, but really here it was pick your poison.  
The Clippers could carve them up Man to Man and did so at times during the season or you could go with Zone and if they were shooting well from the 3' they could carve you up there.  

This game came down to the Miss or Make game.  The 3's pretty much tell the difference. 
Luka was a respectable 5 for 11 and DFS stepped up at 4 for 7 but after that its all downhill.   
Unfortunately the Mavs big shooters THJ had a unusually bad night at 1 for 9 and KP had decent lines but from the 3 he was Ofer 5 and throw in Kleber 0-2, Burke chips in with an 0-1 miss. 

Combine that with the Clippers led by Morris scorching 7-9, Kennard 3-5 and Mann 2-3 from triple land you get Clippers doubling up the Mavs on 3 pointers 20 to 10!  
20 Point difference, that's the ball game. 

In game 6 it was scorching shooting from Reggie Jackson then Kawhi in the clutch seals a close game with can't miss shooting, deadly again from 3.  No other analysis really makes a difference, Clippers shot better, way better when it mattered. 

My Props go to Coach Carlisle on his astute attempt to go BIG and counter match up Ty Lue.  I don't see them making it to game 7 and staying respectable in game 6 and 7 without that move.  

The Bigs played well but those guys don't make your 3's.  Boban and KP wasn't bad at all really. Boban as usual shot a strong percentage and rebounded well 10 big boards and KP shot well inside the arc, just couldn't do it from the 3 point line.  
Powell was good but not enough for the Clips. WCS did what he does but again offense is not it and evidently Rick said Kleber was battling through a tough year so some physical issues still implied. 

Luka Angel still needs a legit 2nd Allstar level player, at least 1 in this era with Superteams formed by the players themselves.   

Let's go Mavs!  Heart
Like Reply
Many thanks to Hypermav, meistermatze, hakeemfaan, KillerLeft, burekemde, and dahlsim for the kind words. I have enjoyed exchanging thoughts with each of you. 

And a special thanks to everyone who posted in the recap threads this season. So many smart and knowledgeable posters on this board! Best Mavs discussions on the internet!
Like Reply
I like your recaps and think you're awesome too, @"mavsluvr"!  Big Grin
Like Reply
Yes mavsluvr, your recaps are a big highlight to come to the board after a game! We’ve been discussing having a page dedicated to your recaps and other things (like a top 10 posts of the week/day type stuff). Hopefully we can implement those soon with our small volunteer “staff”.
Like Reply
(06-07-2021, 11:26 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: He never teaches us anything. Like, ANYTHING. There is never (and I mean NEVER) enlightening analysis of what's going on in the game from a basketball expert's POV. He comes across like a fan who's less basketball-educated than average, but one who feels entitled to be treated as an expert. I have no doubt that he is making internal observations we can't, but if he doesn't voice them, what good is that? 

He constantly fumbles over himself inarticulately, often mispronouncing or even misusing common words. 

He often doesn't get the intended meaning when you or Skin joke with him. That stuff goes right over his head, which leads to several awkward moments each game. 

His basketball opinions are ridiculously bad, indicating either that he only watches the Mavs and is completely out of touch with the rest of the league in modern times, or that he is simply only going to say homerish things about the Mavs, no matter what he really believes. 

I miss Bob Ortegal so, so much.

Ouch!

Agree that it's hard to put a broadcast together that teaches something to a savant like yourself, especially in a format designed for home fans who enjoy basketball but aren't experts and don't necessarily watch all the games. Those guys seem to like Harp okay. (It's almost like hardcore basketball mavens merit special game threads/podcasts/recaps/discussions, hmm.)  

I love to listen to the broadcasting greats when I can catch them, but tbh, there aren't many, especially in the local markets. 

In any case, Harp is my brother from another mother, so I wouldn't put my shiv in his back. When he gets ready to hang 'em up, hope someone rides in who meets your standards. Maybe you should think about applying!
Like Reply
(06-08-2021, 01:34 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: so I wouldn't put my shiv in his back

Just confirming you DO have a metaphorical shiv that is in close proximity to Harp? 

Just in case you ever change your mind and want to rid us all from Harper....
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
I FIGURED OUT WHO ML REALLY IS!!!!!!

High bball IQ
Well writen/spoken
Diplomatic
Loves the Mavs
Knows and loves Harp well enough to consider him a brother
Wouldn't put a shiv in his back. Meaning, he might have the chops and connections to do so if we wanted to???
Full up on Mavs knowledge
Has good resources and contacts

And....

was my first ever favorite basketball player!!!
Like Reply
(06-08-2021, 01:57 PM)fifteenth Wrote: I FIGURED OUT WHO ML REALLY IS!!!!!!

High bball IQ
Well writen/spoken
Diplomatic
Loves the Mavs
Knows and loves Harp well enough to consider him a brother
Wouldn't put a shiv in his back. Meaning, he might have the chops and connections to do so if we wanted to???
Full up on Mavs knowledge
Has good resources and contacts

And....

was my first ever favorite basketball player!!!

He's not Brad Davis, if that's who you mean. 

He's either Followil, Skin, or someone who works off-camera on the broadcast. 

For simplicity, I call him Followil.
Like Reply
(06-08-2021, 02:01 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Skin

No way, way too chill for Skin. Right?
Like Reply
(06-08-2021, 02:01 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: He's not Brad Davis, if that's who you mean. 

Brad was not my first favorite basketball player. My first favorite basketball player is a better broadcaster, imho, than Brad. He also had a sweeter jump shot.

(06-08-2021, 02:03 PM)Kammrath Wrote: No way, way too chill for Skin. Right?

Yeah, I don't hear Skin when I read ML
Like Reply
(06-08-2021, 02:01 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: He's not Brad Davis, if that's who you mean. 

Jokes on you he's actually Derek Harper and he feels very hurt we've all attacked him.

(06-08-2021, 01:57 PM)fifteenth Wrote: was my first ever favorite basketball player!!!

Also is it Rolando?
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
GUYS. 

WE HAVE BEEN OVER THIS. 

@"mavsluvr" IS MARK FOLLOWIL.

/thread
Like Reply
[Image: HOCTENFUYJWMTVP4NGZVICG6F4-1.jpg]
Like Reply
(06-08-2021, 02:15 PM)fifteenth Wrote: [Image: HOCTENFUYJWMTVP4NGZVICG6F4-1.jpg]

Whoa... I mean, Rhoa...
Like Reply
(06-08-2021, 03:36 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Whoa... I mean, Rhoa...

Whoa, so ML is a woman?  Shocked.  Confused  Wink

[Image: EBMJ4GGV5MN55AAOZWUBELPZEI.jpg]
Like Reply
Does it matter for Mavs related topics what MLs real name is, or how he looks, who he is. The most important thing is what we say, what we think. Would we have a different perception and interpretation of MLs writing depending on his real name? I think not. 

I read about the Shakespeare authorship question. Theories he didnt write his plays. Well the most educated people will say that it doesnt matter who wrote them. Read it and enjoy.

As for Mavs announcers and Harper. I have watched many other teams announcers in the gamepass. And none of them are close fun to Harper Followil and Wade. Deapite being low on available time I tune in before games to see the pregame stuff from them. Those three and Luka and DFS and Cuban are not for trade IMO you build around that.
Like Reply
(06-08-2021, 06:32 PM)burekemde Wrote: As for Mavs announcers and Harper. I have watched many other teams announcers in the gamepass. And none of them are close fun to Harper Followil and Wade.

(06-08-2021, 02:07 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Jokes on you he's actually Derek Harper and he feels very hurt we've all attacked him.

I would believe that @"mavsluvr" was Abraham Lincoln's brain, hooked to some sort of futuristic dictation machine, before I believed he was Derek Harper.
Like Reply